Training ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Training ?

When you first start the PDF and go through the 16 weeks training, are you allowed home at the week ends ?
    Does the Defence Forces have a Paratroopers, if so how can you apply for them, thanks !

yes they do let you home every few weekends. and no, the DF has no dedicated para unit, although all rangers are para trained.

Comment

Weekends offs during recruit training depends on where you do it .... some units let you home every weekend (unless there is training on the weekend) while others let you go at longer intervals

Comment

Generally speaking as a recruit,you are on "programme" normally until the saturday afternoon of each week.The lucky individuals who are not on defaulters might get a weekend pass until the sunday afternoon/evening.Its purely at the discression of the training staff!!:D
        Live long and prosper!

Comment

I know an airman in the air corps that was home every weekend during his apprenticeship of 4 years apart from 3

Comment

Yes the Defence Forces do have an Ad hoc paratroop unit.

Comment

Yes the Defence Forces do have an Ad hoc paratroop unit.
              they do??? you cant write a one line sentence and not explain yourself!!

unless you mean either the display team, or the rangers, then who are you talking about?
              "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
              "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Why I mean the paratrooper course that the army run almost every year where troops, Albeit a small number 10-15 are given parachute training. These are the Ad-hoc troops that Im talking about.
                In war time they would be used for para drops behind enemy lines!
                God I thought this was well enough known...!

Comment

The only parachute units in the DF are the ARW (One part) and the display teams.

Many personnel are qualified but there is no dedicated unit.

Comment

Yes agreed docman,

but (to The Thing) they are trained to survive a parachute jump... they are not trained to deploy by parachute as in the tactics required having deployed by parachute, this is a totally different issue and part of what a para-trooper trains for.

ad-hoc implies they are regular inf guys who know how to control a parachute and thats it.

The ARW is the only unit in the country that trains for combat operations involving having to deploy by parachute, including the famed special forces HALO (High Altitude Low Opening) jumps.
                    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                      The annual parachuting courses are sports parachuting not military parachuting
                      Kermit is quite correct. Military parachuting training involves massed drops and training in how to exit quickly (para shuffle), from a side door, with equipment bags. The DF training (non ARW) is merely sports parachuting that anyone with a civilian licence could do.

Proper military massed drop parachuting uses round parachutes.
                      HALO/HAHO jumps usually use Square

The DF parachute training is neither.

There is also a subtle difference between "Parachutist" and "Paratrooper".

Comment

"In war time they would be used for para drops behind enemy lines!"

only if the enemy were based around very tall buildings or very high cliff,
                        "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Working...
                        X