Organisation of Training

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What use are they!?!
    Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Comment

well lets see,
      are you suggesting that your unit is going to conduct section and platoon tactics and exercises with live ammunition on a standard parade night?

how often do other units get live firing oportunities!?

if no, then there is technically no difference between carrying a stick looking like gun and carrying a weapon that doesnt fire...

i see no problem with "creating" weapons from wood or even using kids plastic toy replicas, the actual weapons weight may be off but the exercise will still be miles better than empty hands, if the case is that no decomm'd weapons are available that is.

"Adapt, Improvise and Overcome!"
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

but what im saying is that my COY and Centre need more time strippning and assembling etc to keep it fresh in our mind as all we do at present is once a year in Feb for our toets(yet are espected to be perfect)

So sticks and toys are of no use for this purpose. We only do tactics at camp and always use blanks to add realism!! Dont be stupid of course im not saying usse live rounds for tactics training! We never practice tactics at COY level or centre level and we are constanly

"Adapt, Improvise and Overcome" as we'v nothing in our centre for training except photo copies and things we make ourselves! Coming up with things to do for weekly Parades is very hard with no equipment so its hard to keep people interested and want to turn up regularly.

Comment

Should be done the way any properly organised reserve force does it.

One Paid weekend a month- leave friday evening, return late sunday. No alcohol. Forty eight hours solid training.

Two or four weeks a year. To do the training and exercises you can't do over forty eight hours.

Proper employee protection for reservists.

Save your pissups for social weekends.

I maintain that none of us will ever have the opportunity to join such a reserve force with a green white & orange tricolour on our arms. Hopefully, I'll have the chance with 25/27 stars on a navy backgound instead. I might still be young enough, but I doubt it.

You know when you really, really, wish you were wrong about something?
          Take these men and women for your example.
          Like them, remember that posterity can only
          be for the free; that freedom is the sure
          possession of those who have the
          courage to defend it.
          Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
          If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Even unpaid would do me!!!! And training equipment for weekly training parades!

We can live in hope that we will get something better IF restructing happens!! Just live in hope!!

Comment

Heard that in Clifden they use Wooden Steyrs..

Comment

I learnt all my rifle drill as a recruit with timber rifles....No reason why it shouldne be done where a unit does not have regular access to weapons. Also for tactics,timber rifles require no security party....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

learned FN arms drill on parade nights with wooden rifles as well

Comment

Always wondered why ya don't send a party down to Collins or Renmore 1 hour before to get the rifles and then back after... (yes it's a late finish for the sec. crew. but c'est la vie ) .

No experience of this myself since I parade in the Brugha
                    "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

My centre has asked but there always seem to be problems ie. drivers. They say we can but it never comes off.

It would be ideal send up a security party and bring them down but I cant see it happening in my place anytime soon(maybe when I get my stripes)

Comment

So to answer my orginal question, in general units that are not operating out of occupied barracks see weapons once in a blue moon?

Comment

YA!!!! well of course I can only answer for my COY and Centre and one or two of the other COY in my Batt who I have regular contact with some of theirs members.

We see the weapons in February for our "toets" and do no training on them again till our next "toets" and we see them at camps of course for duties etc. but at camp we do no trainning on them as iv said! :( :(

Comment

Working...
                          X