Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bulldog Jr.
    replied
    YA!!!! well of course I can only answer for my COY and Centre and one or two of the other COY in my Batt who I have regular contact with some of theirs members.

We see the weapons in February for our "toets" and do no training on them again till our next "toets" and we see them at camps of course for duties etc. but at camp we do no trainning on them as iv said! :( :(

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    So to answer my orginal question, in general units that are not operating out of occupied barracks see weapons once in a blue moon?

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog Jr.
    replied
    My centre has asked but there always seem to be problems ie. drivers. They say we can but it never comes off.

It would be ideal send up a security party and bring them down but I cant see it happening in my place anytime soon(maybe when I get my stripes)

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Always wondered why ya don't send a party down to Collins or Renmore 1 hour before to get the rifles and then back after... (yes it's a late finish for the sec. crew. but c'est la vie ) .

No experience of this myself since I parade in the Brugha

Leave a comment:

• ICUN
    replied
    learned FN arms drill on parade nights with wooden rifles as well

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    I learnt all my rifle drill as a recruit with timber rifles....No reason why it shouldne be done where a unit does not have regular access to weapons. Also for tactics,timber rifles require no security party....

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Heard that in Clifden they use Wooden Steyrs..

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog Jr.
    replied
    Even unpaid would do me!!!! And training equipment for weekly training parades!

We can live in hope that we will get something better IF restructing happens!! Just live in hope!!

Leave a comment:

• JAG
    replied
    Should be done the way any properly organised reserve force does it.

One Paid weekend a month- leave friday evening, return late sunday. No alcohol. Forty eight hours solid training.

Two or four weeks a year. To do the training and exercises you can't do over forty eight hours.

Proper employee protection for reservists.

Save your pissups for social weekends.

I maintain that none of us will ever have the opportunity to join such a reserve force with a green white & orange tricolour on our arms. Hopefully, I'll have the chance with 25/27 stars on a navy backgound instead. I might still be young enough, but I doubt it.

You know when you really, really, wish you were wrong about something?

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog Jr.
    replied
    but what im saying is that my COY and Centre need more time strippning and assembling etc to keep it fresh in our mind as all we do at present is once a year in Feb for our toets(yet are espected to be perfect)

So sticks and toys are of no use for this purpose. We only do tactics at camp and always use blanks to add realism!! Dont be stupid of course im not saying usse live rounds for tactics training! We never practice tactics at COY level or centre level and we are constanly

"Adapt, Improvise and Overcome" as we'v nothing in our centre for training except photo copies and things we make ourselves! Coming up with things to do for weekly Parades is very hard with no equipment so its hard to keep people interested and want to turn up regularly.

Leave a comment:

• morpheus
    replied
    well lets see,
    are you suggesting that your unit is going to conduct section and platoon tactics and exercises with live ammunition on a standard parade night?

how often do other units get live firing oportunities!?

if no, then there is technically no difference between carrying a stick looking like gun and carrying a weapon that doesnt fire...

i see no problem with "creating" weapons from wood or even using kids plastic toy replicas, the actual weapons weight may be off but the exercise will still be miles better than empty hands, if the case is that no decomm'd weapons are available that is.

"Adapt, Improvise and Overcome!"

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog Jr.
    replied
    What use are they!?!

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    "timber tactics" was related to me by someone on the pot offrs cse from the East

to the best of my knowledge it hasn't been done in the east to anyone

because rural units (mainly in west & south) don't get there hands on weapons much they have "timber weapons"

ie sticks from trees (some of the more "professional" units have actually painted there sticks to look more like rifles)

Leave a comment:

• Bulldog Jr.
    replied
    We're infantry so we'v no one qualified to give first aid training, even though our centre leader is our COY First Aider and we'v no use for flood control training(the river in our town is ony a few centimetres deep so no fear of floods). Plus as Infantry, Weapons handling is our Prime Role and as a result the most practical thing we can do with our time!!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    well I suppose you could use the time to work on more practical skills-first aid, flood control etc etc

Leave a comment:

Working...
X