X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rod and serpent View Post
    IN ARDUAS FIDELIS

Faithful in Hardship.

Does anybody know the the Irish translation of theis motto.
    Haven't read the rest of the thread yet so dont know if anyone else had a stab at this, but my best would be:

'Tairseacht i nGcruachás' (cruachás coming from the novel 'Peig', and if anyone had several words for hardship, it was her!)

Otherwise, as per the dictionary:

'Tairseacht i nGcruatan'

Bloody difficult to put phonetics on those two!

Oh and having seen the previous translation, I disagree. Tairseacht is used in both the oath to the constitution of Ireland stated by Cadets during commissioning and in the Air Corps motto, Vigilent and Loyal, although the translations for watchful and vigilent or faithful and loyal could be interchanged easily.

BTW my own personal fave from a flying instructor's course a good few years back:

'Confidence through ignorance' or 'muinín tri aineoleachas'

That confused the hell out of the foreign instructors who were teaching us at the time!
    Last edited by Scorpy; 25 April 2009, 23:32. Reason: Lazy and didn't read rest of thread first!

Comment

'Beag Ach Fiachmar' being the one to comes to mind fromthe 1st Fighter squadron of the AC, Might need to check the spelling but is translates as 'Small but fierce'

Nice ring to it.
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

thanks for bumping this one HA.

now i know.
        RGJ

...Once a Rifleman - Always a Rifleman... Celer et Audax

The Rifles

Comment

Working...
        X