X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going on an Occupational First Aid course in july

Where are these usually run?

What should I expect and bring?
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Dunno where its run, but if its run the way i run them you bring yourself, a sponge (ie your brain) and loose comfortable clothing (Chances are as its a DF course you will be in uniform anyway). Be prepared for plenty of hands on work *

Shane

* Please note thats the way I do the course the DF could be totally different....

Comment

I'd Imagine an occupational first aid course is an occupational first aid course no matter where you go...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

No Goldie, Army Occupational First Aid Courses are not recgonised outside the DF.

In realtion to BamBam's question: The course is not held in any special location it is just held in a normal class room. Expect to gain a lot of knowledge...hopefully.
          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
            No Goldie, Army Occupational First Aid Courses are not recgonised outside the DF.

In realtion to BamBam's question: The course is not held in any special location it is just held in a normal class room. Expect to gain a lot of knowledge...hopefully.
            Why not? The course content is the same!

Comment

I know but it just isnt. Its because the instructors are not.

Comment

Army Occupational First Aid Courses are not recgonised outside the DF
                Possible contender for the stupidest thing of the year award 2005.

The whole point of an occupational first aid course is that it's recognised by the Health and Safety Authority for occupational purposes. If it's not recognised then it shouldn't be known by that name.

The DF either need to get theselves registered properly as a recognised training establishment, or rename and reorient the course to something more appropriate.

How about something along the lines of the UK combat medical technician qualification?

Comment

Originally posted by yellowjacket
                  Possible contender for the stupidest thing of the year award 2005.

The whole point of an occupational first aid course is that it's recognised by the Health and Safety Authority for occupational purposes. If it's not recognised then it shouldn't be known by that name.

The DF either need to get theselves registered properly as a recognised training establishment, or rename and reorient the course to something more appropriate.

How about something along the lines of the UK combat medical technician qualification?
                  The name is the same, but the first thing we were told when we were doing the instructors course was....this course is not regconised outside.

Comment

The question begs,do the HSA recognise it? If not, litigation could follow...again.

Comment

I cannot answer goldies question. All I can say is what I was told, which was that the course I did was not regconised outside.

Comment

The confusion probably arises from the fact that the INSTRUCTORS course is not recognised outside the DF while the Occupational First Aid course itself is.

Comment

joker,

you do not have a clue do you, OFA run and certified by the DF are recognised in civvie street, there are a few members on this board that i have trained and certified that took their certs to their employers and they are recognised.

it may have something to do with the Health and Safety Athaurity registration, you know the people that actually gave the guidelines for SI 44 of the health and safety act, you know the people that instructors have to be registered with FFS,

keep safe.

PS : the university of limerick recognises DF OFA certification for their courses for PTI ect, and they are one of the higher seats of learning in the country.
                          Last edited by jpb; 24 June 2005, 07:36.

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
                            I cannot answer goldies question. All I can say is what I was told, which was that the course I did was not regconised outside.
                            As said earlier....now correct me if I am wrong, but I wouldnt consider myself stupid for thinking that if an instructor teachers a class something, even tho the instructor is not qualified to teach it outside the people to whom he thought it to ARE qualified outside.....that system is bullshit of the highest degree.

Comment

you are wrong

Comment

Working...
                              X