First Aid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First Aid

What are members feeling about getting a First Aid Course run for a unit by either military or civilian (Civil Defence, Red Cross, Order of Malta, etc) which would be offically certified, over the course of a few field days / training parades?

Idea is to improved quality of first aid training, personnel can go to employers & say they are doing something useful for the company on time off, improve retention etc

Does this happen already in any units?

brian,

not trying to be a killjoy or anything but you had better check it out with training school medical corp's in the curragh as this would come under occupational first aid and would have to be registered under the health and safety authority, best to try one of the med unit's in your brigade first and let them direct you and keep it all above board,

keep safe.

Comment

There are first aid courses run by different medical companies through out the year, I know this because my unit runs one the same time we go on camp. Check out your unit notice board for course details etc
      If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Yes but i'm talking about numbers of around 10-50, we aren't given that number of places on courses

Location could be Med Coy HQ or one of our sub-unit HQs
        For say 8 training parades or 2/3 weekends
        For offrs, NCOs, and 3*s to start with

Can the RDF Med Coys give you a recognised cert in First Aid?

We have had a number of NCOs and Ptes do First Aid courses with Med Coys before, but they are unwilling to instruct on such a technical topic

{had probs loging into chat}

Comment

The cert would be regconised in the DF, there are very little certs that the DF give you that are regconised outside it... But we can bring you up to a proficient level of First-Aid. In terms of being the registered first aider within the company it would probably do the trick. But I am not an expert in this matter!

{Try the IRC chat more people just logged on, if that fails try Java}

Comment

The aim is to get away from employers saying all you do in the FCA is drink and to show them that we do things that are useful to them

Could you see the powers that be being interested though in * or ** Med?

{still can't log on to either Chat}

Comment

I dont think it should be a problem. Ill find out more..
              Last edited by The Joker; 9 March 2004, 16:31.

Comment

occupational first aid cert's issued by the medical training school are recognised outside in civvie street, ask around,

keep safe.

Comment

Do you not have to have a basic first aid cert to do the OFA course.

phonetic's!!!
                  Last edited by The Joker; 9 March 2004, 00:59.

Comment

joker you need nothing to do an occ first aid course except interest, and the word you are looking for is phonetic's ,

keep safe.

Comment

Yes but the M/S CSSC are not going to give up 10-50 places for 1 company are they?

Comment

The 7th Bn ran an Occupational First Aid course before Christmas (with some added extras relating to first aid in the field). On completion we were awarded both a civilian and army certification.

The course was (well) run by a member of the 7th who happened to be a First Aid instructor. Would be a great idea if more people were given the opportunity to get involved in something like this.

Comment

How long was it?

Comment

4 days - ran over two weekends.
                            Was broken into 3 days learning, 1 day revision and testing.

There was also some involvement from medical personnel from the Curragh i.e. testing boards, assisting in lectures.

Comment

there was a first aid course run by the 11th field medical last year was open to all units in dublin area did it myself and found it very worth while

Comment

Working...
                              X