Equipment Development Plan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sarsfield View Post
    Completely disgusted. No radars, no GBADS, no interception capability, no sonars, no replacement for CPVs, no mention of MCM capability, no ability to protect fibre optic ocean cables. Lions led by donkeys. A century of independence and we are still reliant on a nuclear power and NATO member to provide for our national defence. Coveney should resign and the DoD cleared out. The brave underpaid sailors, soldiers and air crews are butt of government neglect and indifference. Defence forces, well there’s an oxymoron. What we have ,equipment wise,is a gendarme, a coastguard and a flight training school. We are an embarrassment amongst our European peers. Rant over. Looking to lie down in a dark room
    They arent going to commit to anything extra until the CoDF reports, and have effectivley now kicked the can, probably to the next government, to fund the reports recomendations on future capital projects. Either that or fund a new filing cabinet in the DoD for the report to gather dust in.
    Last edited by CTU; 4 October 2021, 18:06.
    It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
    It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
    It was a new age...It was the end of history.
    It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post

They arent going to commit to anything extra until the CoDF reports, and have effectivley now kicked the can, probably to the next government, to fund the reports recomendations on future capital projects. Either that or fund a new filing cabinet in the DoD for the report to gather dust in.
      I’m going to guess, option b from your list.

Comment

Originally posted by CTU View Post

how many white papers etc have we had already? most of it bollocks

Comment

Originally posted by warthog View Post

how many white papers etc have we had already? most of it bollocks
          How many times has a "Dublin Metro" to the airport been mentioned in these so-called National Development Plans, or the motorway between Limerick and Cork. Most of these development plans are bollocks as you so aptly say, unless of course you happen to be an Independent TD who is propping up a government with a special deal on a new road.
          It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
          It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
          It was a new age...It was the end of history.
          It was the year everything changed.

Comment

The biggest issue with the Cork-Limerick motorway is the route of the thing! Use the existing M8 as far as Mitchelstown or Cahir, and cut across to Limerick from there. There you go Eamonn, I've cut the cost for you in half!! And all it cost me was annoying the residents of Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville!
            Last edited by ODIN; 6 October 2021, 10:10.
            What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
              The biggest issue with the Cork-Limerick motorway is the route of the thing! Use the existing M8 as far as Mitchelstown or Cahir, and cut across to Limerick from there. There you go Eamonn, I've cut the cost for you in half!! And all it cost me was annoying the residents of Mallow, Buttevant and Charleville!
              Once they get the heavy vehicles off their doorstep they won't mind either.
              Of greater priority (in my humble opinion) is a decent motorway linking Waterford and Limerick with each other, via the M8 at Cahir.(somewhere). Current road from Limerick to Waterford is nuts.
              For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by ODIN View Post
                That was the big debate alright

1. Build new M20 Limerick-Cork (huge dinari) OR

2. Build new M24 spur Limerick - M8 (less dinari but projected extra 30min journey time Limerick-Cork using this versus Option 1 above)

My personal opinion:
                Option 2 a no brainer because:

a. Cheaper and valuable funds can be used elsewhere

b. Gives scope for onward completion of M24 to link Waterford to Limerick (could link to M9 and possibly shorten somewhat - again, saving €€€)

EDIT:
                Having looked at the map more closely, probably no benefit linking to the M9. To do so would involve traversing some very hilly country in the Piltown-Mullinavat region
                Last edited by Truck Driver; 6 October 2021, 13:04.
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

In terms of equipment, the Report of the Commission has some good points, some bad and some copy and paste.

The replacement of the Mowags with a larger fleet of APC's with level 4 protection by 2030.
                  Increased transport for Infantry Battalions.
                  The RBS 70 is obsolete and should be replaced.
                  The EC135 and AW139 helicopters are due to be replaced before 2030.
                  Primary radar for the Air Corps should be procured immediately and is a top priority.
                  A successor long-range aircraft for the Gulfstream IV is needed.
                  Join the Strategic Airlift Capability programme.
                  Two additional AW139 helicopters should be procured.
                  Replace AW139's with eight super‐medium helicopters.
                  C‐UAS system for the Air Corps.
                  Air, surface and sub‐surface search capability for naval ships.
                  Ship‐borne RPAS.
                  Two MMCM capable ships.
                  Coastal radar for the Naval Service.
                  The P50's to be replaced in the 2030s.

Under LOA3

All Infantry Battalions to be mechanised.
                  Naval service fleet to include 'Tier 3' type OPV's.
                  The Air Corps to get a squadron of jet combat aircraft.
                  Two or three troop carrier type aircraft.
                  Tactical troop transport helicopters for overseas, enough to move a platoon and for CSAR.
                  Dedicated combat helicopters to support the ARW.

A lot in the report is quite vague and requires reading between the lines and knowing what's already on the shopping list.
                  The Mowag replacement was due for 2030 already. No mention of the LTAV's.
                  Saying the primary radar should be procured immediately and is a top priority is one of the few good things for the Air Corps in LOA2.
                  No tactical airlift aircraft for the Air Corps is a huge disappointment. A Gulfstream IV successor is belated.
                  Two additional AW139's is disappointing as well, really should be two heavy-twin helicopters. Super‐medium helicopters won't offer many capability advantages over the AW139.
                  No overseas for the Air Corps unless its LOA3 is another big disappointment. No mention of maritime capable helicopters.
                  The Naval Service ships being upgraded with air, surface and sub‐surface search capabilities would be a good boost as well as coastal radar.
                  Everything else for the Naval Service is just what the White Paper says.

Comment

Originally posted by A/TEL View Post

MBES is a permanent fit.

P50s fitted circa 2015/16

P60s will require drydocking to fit MBES

Comment

With all the equipment being supplied to Ukraine, having to be back filled from new orders or current stocks, I see an issue with delivery dates for anything/all items purchased by the Irish defence forces, across the 3 pillars.
                      "Why am I using a new putter? Because the last one didn't float too well." -Craig Stadler

Comment

Originally posted by gaff85 View Post
                        With all the equipment being supplied to Ukraine, having to be back filled from new orders or current stocks, I see an issue with delivery dates for anything/all items purchased by the Irish defence forces, across the 3 pillars.
                        Don’t think that is going to an exclusively Irish problem

Comment

Alternatively, a full order book means the Defence industry does not need to cut corners when it comes to staffing, and extra staff are introduced to cope with demand. For example new production lines have opened for the western made anti tank missile in use in Ukraine.
                          For now, everything hangs on implementation of the CoDF report.

Comment

Originally posted by gaff85 View Post
                            Well before we get to worry about orders being fulfilled they have to be placed. Given the incredibly disappointing response to the CoFD and the fact that after 12 months we are going backwards rather than making progress it doesn’t matter how busy the defence industry is.

DF numbers in free fall
                            Rosin and Niamh tied up (1 of which has just come out of an expensive refit)
                            No orders or even a tender for any new equipment.

At this rate I’m sorry to say I don’t think there will be any significant progress before the next election and then just watch the can be given an almighty kick down the road by the new government.

Apologies for being so cynical and I hope I’m wrong

Comment

Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
                              Alternatively, a full order book means the Defence industry does not need to cut corners when it comes to staffing, and extra staff are introduced to cope with demand. For example new production lines have opened for the western made anti tank missile in use in Ukraine.
                              But that extra production will be going to Ukraine and to refill the NATO stockpiles before NATO can even think of increasing their stock levels from what they were.

any non-NATO country is going to be at the very back of a very long queue

Comment

Originally posted by Banner View Post

Well before we get to worry about orders being fulfilled they have to be placed. Given the incredibly disappointing response to the CoFD and the fact that after 12 months we are going backwards rather than making progress it doesn’t matter how busy the defence industry is.

DF numbers in free fall
                                Rosin and Niamh tied up (1 of which has just come out of an expensive refit)
                                No orders or even a tender for any new equipment.

At this rate I’m sorry to say I don’t think there will be any significant progress before the next election and then just watch the can be given an almighty kick down the road by the new government.

Apologies for being so cynical and I hope I’m wrong
                                Plenty of tenders going out…. Not for major equipment but there is at least some for much needed Accomodiation upgrades and the like

Comment

Working...
                                X