84mm Anti Tank....81mm Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 84mm Anti Tank....81mm Mortar

Has anyone here done courses on either the gustav 84mm or the 81mm mortar and if so, do you normally get to fire these weapons on the course?

I've never heard of a course where they haven't fired.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

thanks for the info.....anyone here done either course? Any info on which would be better to do?

Comment

The 81 involves a lot of lugging heavy stuff about....and you feel lke a gunner after...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

yeah, I hear the baseplate is the heaviest part. I did some stuff on the 84mm before...........I'd say its a class weapon to fire.

Comment

In the distant past (the '70s), when training on the CG 84mm you used a sub-caliber (25mm if memory serves me) round. I don't know if it's the same today.

IAS

Comment

The Baseplate is definitely the most awkward to carry. Class weapon to fire -especially the first round. First round, the baseplate goes from sitting 6 in above the ground to burried.

Comment

The last E Bde 84 course I witnessed fired TPT, HE & Illum.
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Heard that the 84mm is on the way out. I think the figure of 5 years was mentioned as far as i can remember.

Any truth to this? I don't know weither to belive this or nto but the info is from a reliable source. But then again it could just be the same as the Bren. Going out every year but never quite making it.:D
                  "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

No reason to get rid of it and nothing to replace it with. Why get rid of it.

Comment

I did both. The 81mm course is longer and a little bit more complicated. There's absolutely nothing to the 84. You cannot qualify on any weapon unless you fire it. The sub cal used to be 6.5mm and is now 7.62mm. They've recently bought new ammo, sights and a laser range finder for the 84 so I presume we'll get another while out of it. If I had to choose I'd do the mortar first.
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

How do you get onto the 81mm mortar course. Ive asked at centres and they told me they dont know when the course is on. Im not doing me pots this year and would really love to do the mortars.

Comment

The list of courses should be circulated to all units, ask your cadre staff.

Comment

Of course you can qualify on a weapon without firing it, it happens all the time, the Milan is a prime example,
                            Congrats on making it to the dizzy heights of Chief, Grounhog
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Only because the MILAN is so expensive. The RBS 70 is another one I suppose. In the normal run of things you have to fire to qualify.

No more promotions boo-hoo.:(
                              sigpic
                              Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                              red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Working...
                              X