Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Designated Marksman and Sniper Support Rifle

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by apod View Post
    In the UK 3 Soldiers per section are trained up on the Sharpshooter rifle but only one carries it. Usually decided by the top three shooters scores on PWT in each section

    Seeing as we don't operate as permanently formed sections or Platoons on Island this could prove problematic to emulate.

    Inf and Cav RECCE Dets are getting them too.

    Trials already conducted. Most of the Rifles mentioned above were tested.
    My eldest is hoping to get on a sharpshooter cadre this year. And a JNCO cadre in the autumn. Going to be a busy year and even busier next year.
    'History is a vast early warning system'. Norman Cousins

    Comment


    • #17
      Should this be a stand-alone tender? Should a DMR not be part of a wider modular weapons system to replace the FAL and AUG?

      There has been a move for many years to modular weapons systems whereby a number of different weapons are based upon a common platform, usually the same layout, fire control group and receiver with different barrels and calibers been offered. Take the DMR role, the soldier who has the DMR will standout within any group of soldiers as the rest have the AUG, which looks very different from the majority of current DMR rifle, that makes them a key target. Secondly the fire controls on most conventional DMR rifles are very different from those of the AUG, this means that the muscle memory will be different. While with plenty of training this can be over-come if there was a common platform this would not be the case.

      The combination of the HK416 and the HK417 as used by the ARW is just one example of the use of a platform system.

      Of course what was left out of the BA trails was a 7.62 x 51 version of a bullpup, Tavor 7 and if they ever make a militerised version the MDR.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
        Take the DMR role, the soldier who has the DMR will standout within any group of soldiers as the rest have the AUG, which looks very different from the majority of current DMR rifle, that makes them a key target. Secondly the fire controls on most conventional DMR rifles are very different from those of the AUG, this means that the muscle memory will be different. While with plenty of training this can be over-come if there was a common platform this would not be the case.
        US Marines or Army (can't recall which) specified similar looking DMR weapon and fire controls for exactly these reasons in their most recent tender.

        Having such a distinctive looking weapon as the AUG will always make soldiers stand out from others, if because the AUG looks completely different to most other armies AR type platforms or an AR platform makes ARW, etc. stand out against reg troops here.

        Is this the start of the re-introduction of 7.62 as the standard round
        Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

        And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
          US Marines or Army (can't recall which) specified similar looking DMR weapon and fire controls for exactly these reasons in their most recent tender.

          Having such a distinctive looking weapon as the AUG will always make soldiers stand out from others, if because the AUG looks completely different to most other armies AR type platforms or an AR platform makes ARW, etc. stand out against reg troops here.

          Is this the start of the re-introduction of 7.62 as the standard round
          I think not. Once it was accepted the 7.62 would remain the calibre of choice for the squad fire support, then having more than one weapon of that calibre was inevitable. Indeed, with the M203 you are dealing with 3 calibres in a section already.
          German 1: Private Schnutz, I have bad news for you.
          German 2: Private? I am a general!
          German 1: That is the bad news.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by X-RayOne View Post
            US Marines or Army (can't recall which) specified similar looking DMR weapon and fire controls for exactly these reasons in their most recent tender.

            Having such a distinctive looking weapon as the AUG will always make soldiers stand out from others, if because the AUG looks completely different to most other armies AR type platforms or an AR platform makes ARW, etc. stand out against reg troops here.
            It was the US Army with the Compact Semi-Automatic Sniper System which became the M110A1, (HK417, G28).

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by na grohmiti View Post
              I think not. Once it was accepted the 7.62 would remain the calibre of choice for the squad fire support, then having more than one weapon of that calibre was inevitable. Indeed, with the M203 you are dealing with 3 calibres in a section already.
              Oh for a sarcasm highlight button
              Fate whispers to the warrior, "There is a storm coming"

              And the warrior whispers back "I am the storm".

              Comment


              • #22
                My contenders would be the following;

                From HK the G28
                https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/prod...ical-data.html

                From FN the Scar Mk20 (aka Scar 20S)
                https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-mk20-ssr/

                From LMT the L129A1
                https://lmtdefense.com/product/lm308ssr/

                From IWI the Tavor 7
                https://iwi.net/iwi-tavor-rifle/tavor-7/

                And as wild card from Desert Tec the MDRX
                https://deserttech.com/mdr.php

                All come in either 7.62x51 or 6.5 Creedmoor (except Tavor), and with a 16" or 20" barrel options.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by EUFighter View Post
                  My contenders would be the following;

                  From HK the G28
                  https://www.heckler-koch.com/en/prod...ical-data.html

                  From FN the Scar Mk20 (aka Scar 20S)
                  https://fnamerica.com/products/rifles/fn-mk20-ssr/

                  From LMT the L129A1
                  https://lmtdefense.com/product/lm308ssr/

                  From IWI the Tavor 7
                  https://iwi.net/iwi-tavor-rifle/tavor-7/

                  And as wild card from Desert Tec the MDRX
                  https://deserttech.com/mdr.php

                  All come in either 7.62x51 or 6.5 Creedmoor (except Tavor), and with a 16" or 20" barrel options.
                  The RFP states it has to be in use with 2 NATO/PFP countries, so that's the MDRX and Tavor out....and I think the SCAR is unlikely. There are SCARs floating around with people in the Curragh so I think they'll know.
                  So HK and LMT it is.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    What's the source of this RFP? Any more gen on when it would be entering service etc?

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Has this gone the way of the Dodo?....it's not on etenders anymore...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Nope.Still in play.
                        "Let us be clear about three facts. First, all battles and all wars are won in the end by the infantryman. Secondly, the infantryman always bears the brunt. His casualties are heavier, he suffers greater extremes of discomfort and fatigue than the other arms. Thirdly, the art of the infantryman is less stereotyped and far harder to acquire in modern war than that of any other arm." ------- Field Marshall Wavell, April 1945.

                        Comment

                        Working...
                        X