Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cadets 2004.Am I for real?

Perfect Timing,

I've applied for a Cadetship as it's been something that I've wanted since sitting the Leaving Cert...three years ago.

I've had an indepth look at the recruitment process but there's a few things that I'm concerned about; and maybe you lot will be able to give me a better understanding of these:

I've recieved my PTI test date and it's in Cork; with the date and time pretty conveniant. I'm a fit guy; no trouble with sit ups or cardiovascular requirements (The running for 1.5 Miles in under 11 minutes). Now; the push ups on the other hand..
    Is your body structure taken into account for this excercise? I have a large build, with a low body fat ratio; and I'm wondering will my build be taken into account for this requirement? Quite frankly some people taking this test will only weigh 8, 9 or 10 stone. I weigh 13, which makes the process much more difficult. I can only manage eight push ups and I have seven days until the test. Am I screwed? The requirement is 20.

I've heard that only 50 - 60 cadets are taken in each year. If the number of people that apply are any way equivalent to the numbers who apply for the Gardai; then the selection process must be quite precise in choosing who they want. Am I right with these figures?

Finally, I'm 19 years of age. Will my age be held against me?

Thanks in advance lads.
    True soldiers don't scurry for their reward..

Please tell me you are taking the piss.
    You say that you have been interested in the cadets for about three years,yet seven days before a test for the cadets you suddenly realise you cant meet the requirements! Pleaassee.

The test is pass or fail, taking things into account (which are irrelevant btw) doesnt enter the picture at all.

Regards etc

Comment

You're screwed. But you did the Leaving Cert at 16. I see a great future for you in rocket science.
      sigpic
      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
      My favourite moment was when the
      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

amazing....even in the good old days you at least had to be able to do the maths on your age to join young....in any event you're screwed as it is...work on it and try next year.

Comment

Ah well,

Have to face the truth,

I decided to wait to achieve my cert before I applied for anything, may as well work onto the diploma .

I injured my right arm seven months ago, it's why I'm not up to spec on it now. I'll keep working on it for next year.

Thanks again.

Comment

ForegoneReality: In your defence I did my leaving cert and went for the cadets at 16 so I dont think you're bullshitting us if thats what the others are insinuating.
            Suffice to say I didnt stand a chance (to get in at that age you gotta live and breath it from the moment you're born!)

As regards the fitness I find it hard to see how someone who has no trouble with the running or sit ups can encounter a problem with the push ups. Are you sure you're doing them right? You only have to do 20, grin and bear it, its one of the easier parts.

That said Im not one to preach I failed my fitness on monday by 10 seconds on the run. Ive been training at least 4/5 times a week for the last 2 months for the run but I just plateaued about 15 seconds over the time and couldnt seem to get past it. Trying to change the habits of a lifetime in the space of 2 months isnt an easy task, my own fault though!

Dont know about the numbers that apply for the garda versus cadets but as a ratio of applicants to places the cadets seem a lot more prestigious.

Comment

"That said Im not one to preach I failed my fitness on monday by 10 seconds on the run. Ive been training at least 4/5 times a week for the last 2 months for the run but I just plateaued about 15 seconds over the time and couldnt seem to get past it. Trying to change the habits of a lifetime in the space of 2 months isnt an easy task, my own fault though!"

Damn..

Sorry to hear that, Queenie. It's a terror when things go wrong on the day.

I sat the LC at 16, and turned 17 that July. So I don't know why I'm getting such abuse?

I've been playing hurling for years; that's how my stamina is so high; so the running wouldn't be a problem.

It's because of the sport that I injured my arm. I didn't do much training apart from cardio in recent months because of it...I regret it, frankly.

Do you think you'll be going for it again next year? :D

Comment

1.5 mile run

In the PT test, what way do they do it..
                Ive heard of a few people failing by 10 seconds an all, do they just tell you to run to a certain place and you do it on your own ? are do they send someone with you do show you the right pace to be running at ?
                Thanks..

Comment

You run the set distance as fast as possible on your own. There is no leeway as regards the time limit and it is quite common for people to have no problem running but fail sit-ups or press ups and vice versa.
                  sigpic
                  Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                  red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Yeah think I'll give it one more shot, determined to get fit now (even doing the 5K in the park this sunday!) The fitness is my hurdle so if I get over that and they still dont want me then ill take the hint
                    I was annoyed at myself for not passing the basics this year, not for not getting a cadetship. Even if I never get near it I just want a chance to prove I can do better than that.
                    Anyway injury or not give it your best shot, you wont know til you try! And at 19 you're only a baby, you still have plenty of chances left!
                    Best of luck!

Comment

Hey Queenie, sorry to hear about the fitness test :(
                      youd be mad not to try one more time, wish i had one more time left too...
                      ForgoneReality.... ur crazy not to try it at least, surely yuou could push through the pain barrier once!??

ive only started doing pushups and after 3 weeks im up to 20 (started on 5) do 1 rep of 20 3 times a day!!

also the faster you go up and down in the push up, the easier they are and the more youll be able to do.
                      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Actually, the longer you take to do a push up, or any other strength exercise the better (up to a point of course), the reason being the muscles are being worked for longer & the chance of injury is lessened

Comment

it`s much better in my opinion to do `em fast and correct..
                          get it over with. the longer you stay at them the more f[MOD] you get.

Comment

If u can do more than the 20 is there any point going on if it's a pass or fail test. Do they decide they are going to pick say for example 100 people from the test and if the 100th person does 25 and you do 24 are out of the running or are you still in cos u did more than 20?

Comment

if you do 20,you're okay. they stop you after 20.

Comment

Working...
                              X