Am I wasting my time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I wasting my time?

I'm hoping to get into the Irish army soon and I was looking forward to it but reading alot of the comment's on the board's about the DF, I was just wondering am I wasting my time with the Irish army and that maybe I should join the RM or the FFL or should I stick with it and it will be worth it. Any advice, comment's or info would be greatly appriceated
    Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Dr. Venture: Dean, you smell like a whore

It depends on your motivation. Why do you want to join the military?

Comment

if its action your after then probably not for you.

Comment

No it's not action so much it's just the way the lad's on the forum talk it's as if the DF is 5 minutes from falling apart so am I better off going somewhere else
        Dr. Venture: Why is it every time I need to get somewhere, we get waylaid by jackassery?

Comment

If you are desperate for action it is possible to join the British Army.It just depends on how you feel about that and whether you want to or not.
          Si vis pacem para bellum

Comment

I've no problem with the British army or the RM, infact if I joined the Irish army I'd be the first in my family to do it although I've had family member's in most English speaking army's and some that don't, It's just that I want to serve in my own Country and I was thinking that with the new RRF coming about there might be possibilites to do more varied and interesting thing's in tthe DF then guarding money vans or am I compleatly wrong on that, which knowing my luck I probably am:D

Comment

getting back to the Irish DF, it's probably at the highest level of training and operational effectiveness as it has ever been. ERRF/Kosovo/etc all give opportunities for service, which I've been told is actually interesting and dangerous if that's what you're after. any lads from our RDF unit who joined have enjoyed it and got on!

Comment

Don't be put off by comments on the board, the day a soldier stops griping is the day he dies

Comment

Spidar, Brian thank's for the pickmeup:D :-patriot:

Comment

Some thoughts on service in the PDF (Army).

Recruit Training very intense. (Reason became obvious on my first trip abroad, if you can't handle pressure as a recruit you won't handle the 24/7 pressure of overseas service.)

Standard of Training. Initially on my trip I wondered how our standard of training compared to other Armys. First trip was the Leb, 46Bn and I found that we were the equal of any Army in UNIFIL and better than most. I did 6 trips overseas and 2 of these were in intergrated units ie different nationalities. Service in these units again showed that to me Irish level of training/equipment/standard operating procedures are equal to all and better than most.

Human Factor. Service in the PDF does not mean that you are removed from contact with the civvy life. Unless you opt to live in Bks you will remain living in the community. Most armys keep their soldiers living apart from the community either in Barracks or if married in designated married quarters. Irish soldiers reflect the attitudes and values of Irish society because they living in the community. This approach makes it easier to adjust when you leave/retire.

I wish you well in what ever choice you make.

Comment

once your commisioned..are there lots of exciting courses to go on?

Comment

I have a brother in the pdf and he seems to think highly of the training of the pdf compared to a lot of other countries. He's been overseas to the Leb and is due for a stint in Liberia pretty soon, our pdf is a very well respected member of the UN according to him.I myself can tell you soon as I have applied for the pdf and provided I pass a fitness test next week I should be recruited by end of April, so I`ll be another family member to follow tradition so I say go for it..

Comment

Did my interview today, just wanted to thank everyone for the support :-patriot:

Comment

Working...
                          X