Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MOD: Merge Thread]

Hey folks,

Quick question. I'm thinking its a long shot though.

I'm currently in year 3 of a 4 year college course and I want to do a Cadetship when I leave and pursue a career in the PDF. I've got a Summer holidays coming up in a few months and I was wondering if anyone has ever heard of people doing work experience or something like that with the army. I'd probably take anything at all like being an officers runabout and such. I'd just like to get first hand experience of the kinds of things officers do.

I haven't neen able to join the FCA because I've been travelling a lot recently (currently on an exchange in Sweden) but I'm going to join when I get back.

Any help or suggestiosn would be great.

Cheers

Comment

I'm doing Business and Economics. Taking course in Leadership, Organisation and Management, HRM etc.

Comment

Don't think so.....! :redface:
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Happens regularly for Transition year students to kill a week in April/May. It's shite because they can't do anything realistic in case they get injured and sue. Join the army and jack it in if you don't like it.
          sigpic
          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
          My favourite moment was when the
          Originally posted by hedgehog
          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
            Happens regularly for Transition year students to kill a week in April/May.
            True

Originally posted by Groundhog
            It's shite because they can't do anything realistic in case they get injured and sue.
            bollox

[MOD: Warning shot. Desist from one "word" replies.]
            Sex - Breakfast of Champions!

Comment

Dose anybody know if the Army would take on undergrads in a work placement capacity??
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

<----*hears odin's Q, cocks his ear*

Well......now that you mention it.....I do have a summer to fill..............
                If you have to do it, you always have to do it right. Either it makes a difference, or it’s good practice so that when it does make a difference, it gets done right.

-Me.

Comment

im doin work experience in collins barracks this easter for my college placement, 2 days...

Comment

Originally posted by MIA
                    Me and a few mates got in to the coming working experience in McKee bks (from this monday on) and I was just wondering what they do with you for the week?
                    I take it its a fairly straightforward get attatched to some poor NCO in a particular field for a day then another guy the next day?
                    No We will try to see how many of u we will fit into a locker. Only joking. Hopefully you will get to do a tour of the Barracks, meet up with a few soldiers and generally get a tiny taste of military life. See u next week.

Comment

An officers runabout?????????????? What century are u living in.............

Comment

For anyone intrested i just finished a week on work experience and heres what i thought of it and what we did....

Everyone was really welcoming and the 2/lt that was in charge of us was fair sound.He wasnt strict and was just sound all round.

It's shite because they can't do anything realistic in case they get injured and sue.
                        Groundhog is right about insurance because we were supposed to go out doing map-reading and basic navigation in the Comeraghs but we werent allowed in any vehicles and our supervisor tried to get a mowag up from Cork but for insurance....but i still think anybody thinking about a career in the army should do it.

This is what we did:
                        Corps Briefing
                        Lecture on Recruit Training and Cadetships
                        Weapons Display(This was probably one of the best things we did)
                        Talk about overseas service
                        Talk about admin in the field
                        Tour of the Barracks
                        We went to the signals for a bit
                        Watched recruits practise prade for their passing out
                        Talk about DF roles and responsibilities
                        Tour of mueseum
                        Worked in the office and seen what they do they do there
                        Map Reading(in barracks)
                        Tour of the Transport Yard

We also talked about what to get involved in if you want a realistic chance of getting into the cadets.
                        Overall it was a brilliant week and wish i could do another.....
                        Last edited by jawalsh; 30 March 2007, 15:13.

Comment

The reason the supervisor had a problem getting a Mowag up from Cork is that they are based in the Curragh...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

wel dats my mistake.....

Comment

lol and you met GH and never knew it....
                              Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Whos GH??

Comment

Working...
                                X