• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Komsomol
    replied
    Originally posted by squigs View Post
    wow...all round us??...just like bacteria

Hmmm... im conflicted as to whether the ARW would be "good" bacteria or "bad" bacteria

Leave a comment:

• squigs
    Guest replied
    wow...all round us??...just like bacteria

Leave a comment:

• Kevin. B
    replied
    There could be ARW snipers all around you on work experiance and you wouldn't know it...

Leave a comment:

• Komsomol
    replied
    lol funny funny :P

Leave a comment:

• Parts
    Guest replied
    Disclaimer: please note that Aer Chór na hÉireann cannot guarantee that Prince Charles will be flown into Casement Aerodrome for the purposes of enlivening your work experience week; if you are intending to attend work experience at Casement Aerodrome on the basis of glimpsing Chas and/or ARW snipers etc, you may be disappointed. Aer Chór na hÉireann accepts no liability arising from the possible absence of Squidgy from your work experience week.

Leave a comment:

• Komsomol
    replied
    I did a work experience weekend many many years ago for transition year down in baldonnel for the air corps.

All you have to do is ring up baldonnel, say your a transition year student interested in work experience in baldonnel and you are looking for more information. You'll probably be transferred to someone who will fill you in and get your details, and you should get a letter in the post about the work experience. Just make sure you apply very very early, as the spots go like gold dust im sure you can imagine.

My two weeks, i stayed at a B and B up the road, we'd be down at 8 every morning. They just basicly gave us a tour of each section of the air corps every day. And on the last day we got to sit down with the pilots and ask them anything we wanted. There was an oppertunity to get to fly in the back of a CASA, but it was scrapped for whatever reason, probably insurance. We did alot of classroom work too so it wasn't all hands on experience.

One highlight of it though was one day Prince Charles landed in a private jet and the whole place was cordoned off, the ARW were flown in and took up positions all over the place, snipers on the roof and everything else. Was exciting for a 16 year old at the time!

Leave a comment:

• hedgehog
    replied
    Whos GH??

One guy saying who is Groundie

another guy dissing him on a different thread

and someone else slaggin off his jumper

Leave a comment:

• jawalsh
    replied
    Whos GH??

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    lol and you met GH and never knew it....

Leave a comment:

• jawalsh
    replied
    wel dats my mistake.....

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    The reason the supervisor had a problem getting a Mowag up from Cork is that they are based in the Curragh...

Leave a comment:

• jawalsh
    replied
    For anyone intrested i just finished a week on work experience and heres what i thought of it and what we did....

Everyone was really welcoming and the 2/lt that was in charge of us was fair sound.He wasnt strict and was just sound all round.

It's shite because they can't do anything realistic in case they get injured and sue.
    Groundhog is right about insurance because we were supposed to go out doing map-reading and basic navigation in the Comeraghs but we werent allowed in any vehicles and our supervisor tried to get a mowag up from Cork but for insurance....but i still think anybody thinking about a career in the army should do it.

This is what we did:
    Corps Briefing
    Lecture on Recruit Training and Cadetships
    Weapons Display(This was probably one of the best things we did)
    Talk about overseas service
    Talk about admin in the field
    Tour of the Barracks
    We went to the signals for a bit
    Watched recruits practise prade for their passing out
    Talk about DF roles and responsibilities
    Tour of mueseum
    Worked in the office and seen what they do they do there
    Map Reading(in barracks)
    Tour of the Transport Yard

We also talked about what to get involved in if you want a realistic chance of getting into the cadets.
    Overall it was a brilliant week and wish i could do another.....
    Last edited by jawalsh; 30 March 2007, 15:13.

Leave a comment:

• carolirl29
    replied
    An officers runabout?????????????? What century are u living in.............

Leave a comment:

• carolirl29
    replied
    Originally posted by MIA
    Me and a few mates got in to the coming working experience in McKee bks (from this monday on) and I was just wondering what they do with you for the week?
    I take it its a fairly straightforward get attatched to some poor NCO in a particular field for a day then another guy the next day?
    No We will try to see how many of u we will fit into a locker. Only joking. Hopefully you will get to do a tour of the Barracks, meet up with a few soldiers and generally get a tiny taste of military life. See u next week.

Leave a comment:

• GI Josephine
    replied
    im doin work experience in collins barracks this easter for my college placement, 2 days...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X