Exchange

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exchange

Question............has anyone ever heard of a reserve exchange programme between the Irish RDF and other forces. Over the years I have met a few different nationalities in the US and wonder does Ireland participate in anything like that? Basic concept is foreign troops come and do their Annual Training with a reserve unit here and we send some of our lads over there to do the same thing. By all accounts it is well received on both sides. Just wondering............

To the best of my knowledge no, the RDF is not allowed serve outside the state

However the PDF often send personnel on overseas courses, the Cadet School has twice trained classes of Zambian army cadets and UNTSI (UN Training School Ireland) runs 2 international courses: International UN Observer Course & Internation MP Course

Comment

there wouldnt really be a need for exchanges in the RDF in my opinion, apart from the experience gained..

Comment

I remember years ago reading an article in an cosantoir by an FCA man who went on exercise with the Aussie Reserve while visiting there. Dont know how official it was though..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

There have been a number of Irish officer cadets who trained at Sandhurst and infantry training programs at ITC Warminster over the years.

Comment

you know the way the ARW do exchanges with foreign special forces..has that happened recentely?

Comment

If you look at the 62 battalion website (www.62infantry.com) its got some photos of 20th battalion's trip to France in 1989 where they appear to be cross training.

Comment

Goldie - impressive memory. No it wasn't official. I know the person you are talking about - ex B Coy 7th Bn - now in ARNG here. He was over there working and decided to stop by a unit and was allowed to go on exercise with them.
                There may be only one time in your life when your country will call upon you and you will be the only one who can do the nasty job that has to be done -- do it or forever after there will be the taste of ashes in your mouth.

Comment

I could see it being usefull to members of the Irish reserve. I don't think that us reservists would benefit much.
                  Last edited by happenin; 11 January 2006, 21:47.
                  Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                  Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                  do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

Yeah..I have a few officers I could put up for exchange...actually for keeps...but I reckon they'd be sent back....
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Lol

Comment

And thats only the females...we could do a remake of Dads Army with the males.......don't panic...don't panic......
                        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Ha ha..so true Murf!

Comment

im happily willing to go on an exchange programme to somewhere ..........oh like bermuda or brazil maybe
                            Anyone need a spleen ?

Comment

Originally posted by Bravocold
                              If you look at the 62 battalion website (www.62infantry.com) its got some photos of 20th battalion's trip to France in 1989 where they appear to be cross training.
                              They weren't training.

Originally posted by Cheetah
                              you know the way the ARW do exchanges with foreign special forces..has that happened recentely?
                              That's operational info, if they want us to know they'll write about it in An Cosantoir.
                              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Working...
                              X