Question on RDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on RDF

I`ve been told that to join the fca you just need to walk up to the barracks on a training night with passport photos etc etc, but I`ve also been told that it takes 6 weeks before you become a member. I`ve got college exams in 5 weeks time but once they`ve finished I want to get involved straight away. If I wait until after my exams to apply will I have to wait 6 weeks ie into the middle of june, before I can take part or should I go along to the barracks tomorrow and sign up so that I can have the whole summer with the fca?

Ps, when do I do the fitness test?(when i sign up or after the 6 weeks?)

Also, If anyone knows, Is it the infantry who train on tuesdays in cathal brugha?
    Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

there is no fitness test at the moment
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

You lucky bastard

It took me six months between "Please can I join you" to "Sign here". Couldn't make the first medical due to my brother's wedding, next one took three months to organise.

In hindsight, that was something I really ought to have taken note of
      Take these men and women for your example.
      Like them, remember that posterity can only
      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
      possession of those who have the
      courage to defend it.
      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

6 Weeks was probably a minimum. There is no exact time frame as many things can extend or shorten the waiting period. If I were you, I would apply straight away.
        Secondly, as a recruit, you will be limited in what camps you can go to.
        And try and organise to get in with a particuliar unit. If you arrive at the gate, you don't know where you could end up.
        11 Fd CIS parade on a tuesday nights. Not an Infantry unit (Signals) but good all the same.

Comment

If you wait until after your exams in June you won't be going on Summer camp.

The thing to do would be to go down this week with two passport photos; birth cert (long one) PPSN(RSI) number. The paper work and security clearance takes a while and you will be called back for a medical and audiogram (hearing test) though it helps to come down to remind them that your'e still interested.

Yes it is the Infantry (to the best of my knowledge) that train on Tuesday evenings in Cathal Brugha Barracks.

Comment

20Bn train on a tuesday night in Cathal Brugha (please, oh please, avoid E Coy though) as do the 11 Signals & 2 Air Defence.
            You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

im on the brink of gettin in...just awaiting to be sworn in and hopeully make camp in April (highly unlikely at this stage). I first went down on Aug 28 and well have been going down every thurs since!

Best advice is go down as soon as possible and talk to head honcho and get your paper work sorted...wouldnt hurt also to pop down on a couple nights on the run up to your exams...it breaks up your busy study time and it'll give you the chance to get half way up to speed on whatever the NCOs are teaching the current recruits, left, right turn and marching. you dont wanna be left behind in that or you may be hanging around untill they can form another platoon in september. also doesnt hurt to get to know and just start talkin to the lads in your section / platoon.

and stick with it!! dont be put off by the whole 'the army is like a slow moving wheel...'

Comment

god knows you may be wrong there...

Comment

Originally posted by somethingfunny
                  im on the brink of gettin in...just awaiting to be sworn in and hopeully make camp in April (highly unlikely at this stage). I first went down on Aug 28 and well have been going down every thurs since!
                  WHAT ???? You came up on Aug 28 and HAVE STILL NOT got in???

I know it takes a while but it seems you have been given the run around. In my unit, Recruits appeared in Sept, were sworn in and received uniform at Christmas and spent the whole time in training.

I would check again to see what is going on at your training centre

I admire your patience though.

Comment

Hurry up and wait as they say.

Comment

I know it takes a while but it seems you have been given the run around. In my unit, Recruits appeared in Sept, were sworn in and received uniform at Christmas and spent the whole time in training.

indeed we have:D
                      "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

I suppose it depends on who'se running the admin side of your unit and if its a busy time or not.

How does RDF training work, from a new recruits point of view onwards?

Comment

I applied to join the beginning of Jan the first night back after christmas and was sworn in the middle of february but didnt get my uniform till the middle of april, there was some delay with the uniform but i was told i was sworn in fairly fast.
                          Im suprised he could apply to join in august at all, as we are on holidays from the middle of july till the end of september, well suppose our cadre are in COY HQ alright but no centre meetings
                          Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Comment

Originally posted by MIA
                            How does RDF training work, from a new recruits point of view onwards?
                            Each unit is different. Some units begin training you before you are sworn in, while others won't touch you till you are in uniform. Discipline varies as well. Access to weapons is a big thing with some recruits not seeing them till camp. It is down to the initiative of the officers and NCO's to train them.

The RDF Recruit Syllabus is the same as the PDF's but most unit do not follow it and usually only do some foot & arms drill and weapons training.
                            In our unit, we concentrated on the non-Restricted aspects of the Reserve before they were sworn in: Mil Law, Org, rank structure, etc with some drill and then moved onto Weapons training, tactics and more drill when they were sworn in. It is up to each individual unit to organise their own training and to ensure it is followed.

This year we tried to emphasise symbolism in the DF with 1 or 2 lectures on the capbadge, DF history, Constitution, Flag and Anthem to give them a better understanding of the DF, but it is outside the syllabus and only done (as far as I know) in my unit.

Comment

all we did was march, march, march..

Comment

Working...
                              X