X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
    planning, organisation and commitment.
    Isn't that the motto of the RDF???

Seems like everyone is in the same boat...constant changes in dates leads to people not bothering to get time off etc for the next one. Then there aren't enough people turning up to make it work and everything collapses. To me, weekly parade nights and a weekend per month would be ideal...lessons, basic theory, walk throughs of tactical training can be done midweek and the whole lot can be practiced and at the weekend....then the next month can cover another area, with a refresher of last months cam and con, signals, formations or whatever.
    The problem I see with parade nights is that if few people turn up for whatever reason, the program for the night goes out the window and its a case of "everyone around the gun"
    "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

There is also the idiot factor.

How many times have you told the same guy the same thing. At least if they are told weekly the penny drops eventually and each week the reminder time becomes shorter. If you get the guy on camp and tell him every day by day 4 he knows. At the end of camp its bye bye for a couple of months. When he comes back he just hasn't a clue.

I think parading once a month is a great idea for some but for others it would be a desaster.
      Last edited by luchi; 5 September 2007, 22:31.
      Without supplies no army is brave.

—Frederick the Great,

Instructions to his Generals, 1747

Comment

On occasion, you just have to have some Home Station time.

There's always administrative work to be done. This month's drill for us is basically a day at home: PT test, drug test, ratings/counsellings, Class A inspection, other-catching-up-of-paperwork, that sort of thing. Not particularly exciting, but when ordinarily you're in the field, these sorts of things fall by the wayside and catch you in the arse later.

NTM
        Driver, tracks, troops.... Drive and adjust!!

Comment

Administration would still have to be done weekly, at the moment one weekly parade isn't enough, I'm getting calls, emails and requests for information many times a week (the response of which cannot wait until the parade night).

However the actual training could be done on weekends. This is a sea change and would require commitment on both parts.

How about you integrated guys? Have you not dropped weekly parades for weekend parades?

Comment

Approach your Coy Cmdr and suggest to him that it would be in the best interest of the company to purchase a laptop and a projector. Then get as many training films and powerpoint lessons as possible. Hey presto, a workable system and a welcome to the 21st century.
            Also suggest that a new location for your centre is required if he wants to remain as a Coy Cmdr. He might not have one for long if there are no troops.

Comment

Originally posted by concussion View Post
              however people just don't like to give up a Saturday morning in bed
              I find that to be the biggest killer, alongside soccer/hurling/rugby matches...

Comment

Originally posted by piper_69 View Post
                Approach your Coy Cmdr and suggest to him that it would be in the best interest of the company to purchase a laptop and a projector. Then get as many training films and powerpoint lessons as possible. Hey presto, a workable system and a welcome to the 21st century.
                Also suggest that a new location for your centre is required if he wants to remain as a Coy Cmdr. He might not have one for long if there are no troops.
                With regard to the laptop/projector. The cost for these would have to come
                out of unit funds. Some in authority would argue as to the place in the spending
                list for these. Not to get me wrong, I'm fully in agreement with you on this.
                I broached this with our C/S a while ago. Must mention it again. In our
                case, more often than not, these would be required for two different courses
                on a given training night. Hence - Fight - Fight - Fight
                Most of the NCO's/Offrs would probably have laptops, so 2x projectors would
                probably be more feasible.

As regards a new location for a training centre, this would be decided at a higher
                level than the Centre Coy Comdr. B Coy 62 Inf Bn being a case in point. Their Trg
                Centre in Dún Laoghaire was closed down last year. They're still waiting for an
                alternative
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin. B View Post
                  I find that to be the biggest killer...
                  Welcome to the Defence Forces...........
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                  X