• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by Kevin. B View Post
    I find that to be the biggest killer...
    Welcome to the Defence Forces...........

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by piper_69 View Post
    Approach your Coy Cmdr and suggest to him that it would be in the best interest of the company to purchase a laptop and a projector. Then get as many training films and powerpoint lessons as possible. Hey presto, a workable system and a welcome to the 21st century.
    Also suggest that a new location for your centre is required if he wants to remain as a Coy Cmdr. He might not have one for long if there are no troops.
    With regard to the laptop/projector. The cost for these would have to come
    out of unit funds. Some in authority would argue as to the place in the spending
    list for these. Not to get me wrong, I'm fully in agreement with you on this.
    I broached this with our C/S a while ago. Must mention it again. In our
    case, more often than not, these would be required for two different courses
    on a given training night. Hence - Fight - Fight - Fight
    Most of the NCO's/Offrs would probably have laptops, so 2x projectors would
    probably be more feasible.

As regards a new location for a training centre, this would be decided at a higher
    level than the Centre Coy Comdr. B Coy 62 Inf Bn being a case in point. Their Trg
    Centre in DĂșn Laoghaire was closed down last year. They're still waiting for an
    alternative

Leave a comment:

• Kevin. B
    replied
    Originally posted by concussion View Post
    however people just don't like to give up a Saturday morning in bed
    I find that to be the biggest killer, alongside soccer/hurling/rugby matches...

Leave a comment:

• piper_69
    replied
    Approach your Coy Cmdr and suggest to him that it would be in the best interest of the company to purchase a laptop and a projector. Then get as many training films and powerpoint lessons as possible. Hey presto, a workable system and a welcome to the 21st century.
    Also suggest that a new location for your centre is required if he wants to remain as a Coy Cmdr. He might not have one for long if there are no troops.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Administration would still have to be done weekly, at the moment one weekly parade isn't enough, I'm getting calls, emails and requests for information many times a week (the response of which cannot wait until the parade night).

However the actual training could be done on weekends. This is a sea change and would require commitment on both parts.

How about you integrated guys? Have you not dropped weekly parades for weekend parades?

Leave a comment:

• California Tanker
    replied
    On occasion, you just have to have some Home Station time.

There's always administrative work to be done. This month's drill for us is basically a day at home: PT test, drug test, ratings/counsellings, Class A inspection, other-catching-up-of-paperwork, that sort of thing. Not particularly exciting, but when ordinarily you're in the field, these sorts of things fall by the wayside and catch you in the arse later.

NTM

Leave a comment:

• luchi
    replied
    There is also the idiot factor.

How many times have you told the same guy the same thing. At least if they are told weekly the penny drops eventually and each week the reminder time becomes shorter. If you get the guy on camp and tell him every day by day 4 he knows. At the end of camp its bye bye for a couple of months. When he comes back he just hasn't a clue.

I think parading once a month is a great idea for some but for others it would be a desaster.
    Last edited by luchi; 5 September 2007, 22:31.

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Originally posted by Bravo20 View Post
    planning, organisation and commitment.
    Isn't that the motto of the RDF???

Seems like everyone is in the same boat...constant changes in dates leads to people not bothering to get time off etc for the next one. Then there aren't enough people turning up to make it work and everything collapses. To me, weekly parade nights and a weekend per month would be ideal...lessons, basic theory, walk throughs of tactical training can be done midweek and the whole lot can be practiced and at the weekend....then the next month can cover another area, with a refresher of last months cam and con, signals, formations or whatever.
    The problem I see with parade nights is that if few people turn up for whatever reason, the program for the night goes out the window and its a case of "everyone around the gun"

Leave a comment:

• Liam Bowdren
    replied
    I still think training nights have their place. However my unit is based in barracks and training facilities and equipment don't tend to be that much of a problem, so I can understand not everyone is that fortunate. Chatting to lads from rural units I was fairly surprised how little they had seen of the rifle, quite sloppy compared to us, whereas their footdrill tended to be top quality. Considering how quickly someone can get cheesed off of constant footdrill I was fairly impressed with their level of commitment.

You still need weekly training parade just to maintain interest. You mightn't be doing as much in the two hours but it's alot different being involved with an organisation on a weekly rather than monthly basis. Theory, as Docman said, should be the focus here, though it can get into the practical areas with things like first aid.

The ideal would be a meaningful weekly training parade, a weekend once a month and your annual camp, but that requires a lot of commitment and while the soldier in question might be happy to give it, the spouse/employer family mightn't be!

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    To make this work you would need to have an agreed calander of weekends, that didn't change at short notice, so that people could plan around.

This should also take into consideration Bn and Bde tasks coming up in the next 6 months.

You could have different cycles i.e Recruits do their 6 x monthly parades plus camp, but are not available for duties or other tasks until after their training. 2-3 star could have allocated to them additional "duty" weekends on top of their training weekend, and so on. NCOs and officers would still have to do some (but not all) weekly parades so as to get the administration done.

Of course this would require planning, organisation and commitment.
    Last edited by Bravo20; 5 September 2007, 10:52.

Leave a comment:

• DeV
    replied
    The training parades would still be required for admin & recruiting etc - ration indents, hire / req of transport, estimated attendance, req of stores, application for field day/weekend, application for use of lands etc (many of these required min 21 days in advance, how come we sometimes get 3/4 days notice??).

Also how would this effect the min number of hours that have to be done to remain effect (especially for those enlisted during the year)?

Some basic lessons can be done on training parades to free up time on weekends. What if the battalion/bde has events organised on that weekend or on the other 2+ weekends in the month?

Before my time TD.

Not all areas of the country (including urban areas) have a regular enough bus/rail service.
    Last edited by DeV; 5 September 2007, 15:36.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    Some units have abandoned weekly parades altogether in favour of training weekends.
    Granted. But not everyone's work patterns are Mon-Fri 9-5, off for the weekend.
    Then there is also family committments. Questions which would have to be asked at
    the outset would be:

How many training weekends would you have in the year?
    Would you be guaranteed of getting the equipment needed for training?
    This factor in particular could well throw such a weekend up in the air if this fell
    down.
    Sunday bus services in urban areas often do not start until 10 am or so.
    This can be a problem for the 17-18 yr old recruit who depends on the bus to get to Bks for an
    08.00 start.

A former member of 21 Inf Bn who was in a senior position in Dublin Bus instituted a
    'Reservist' bus pass, issued to members of E Bde FCA in the Dublin area.

This is going back a few years ago now, at this stage. Dev should be able to confirm the fine
    details of this.

The only requirement was that the holder had to be in uniform to use it, to ensure
    it was being used legitimately. But of course, the small few started to abuse this, and it was pulled.
    I think I'd just joined up when the scheme was axed.
    As regards the arrangements rurla units make for bussing in their troops, I wouldn't be familiar with this,
    as I was never in this scenario.

Originally posted by concussion View Post
    Spot on, even a days (or 2 days training) in barracks once a month would be better than once a week training....however people just don't like to give up a Saturday morning in bed
    I don't have this problem. For some reason, I struggle to get up early for work,
    or almost any other thing. But when it's the RDF - ding ding - I'm out of the scratcher
    like a light. So my missus says anyway
    Plus I've been doing this for a while now, so I know what's expected.

It's something to do with working shift, I think. Shift workers are placed into two
    categories - Owls and Larks.
    Owls are good at nights, but feel trashed doing days.
    Larks are the opposite. I'm the former, I think.
    Last edited by Truck Driver; 4 September 2007, 23:34.

Leave a comment:

• concussion
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish View Post
    As our training becomes more advanced, the less you can fit in to 2 hours or less. Field days is where the real learning is done. Better again, weekend training once a month. Same hours, but a lot more to show for it.
    Spot on, even a days (or 2 days training) in barracks once a month would be better than once a week training....however people just don't like to give up a Saturday morning in bed

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    replied
    As our training becomes more advanced, the less you can fit in to 2 hours or less. Field days is where the real learning is done. Better again, weekend training once a month. Same hours, but a lot more to show for it.

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    replied
    Interesting about the UK approach. Should we abandon the need for weekly parades in favour of that approach?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X