Brothers In Arms ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brothers In Arms ?

heres an idea for a debate, but i don't know if its been brought up before.
    Do you think the PDF will ever except the RDF as an effective fighting force?
    or will they always consider us sandbags?
    in my view the only difference between us, is that the PDF is more physically capable.
    So should some sort of physical training program be included in RDF weekly training? maybe instead of 2 hour parades a week we should have 2 and a half hours, so the extra time could be spent on physical training, Or would this not be fesible?
    Yes
    36.99%
    No
    38.36%
    when hell freezes over
    24.66%
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

I don't think a half an hour a week constitutes a physical fitness program. Maintaining fitness levels is a problem in Reserve Components the world over. Regular active duty soldiers can be made do PT on duty. With reservists, it is up to the individual. Unfortunately, a lot don't keep up with staying fit.

The only way around it is to run monthly PT tests. Three failures in a row and you're gone. No mercy !!!

Later.
    No-one, I think, is in my tree...

Comment

at its current state, it wont be when hell freezes over.

we are now at a state where we still wont be accepted but with more of the re-orgs objectives in the pipeline we are achievinga little more respect, so are at
      "NO not yet" ness

with more of the re-org and a few training changes including firther integration of units and productive deployments alongside our PDF counterparts, we may achive that holy grail of acceptance, the "YES"

the largest problem we face is going blind into the re-org, with a lack of updates on the RDFRA website, and from the RDFRA how are we to know what the next milestone is on the re-org, how are we to know what RDF HQ is deciding on to introduce next?

Basically an improvement would involve...

RDF publishing some kind of visual goal chart or picture to each unit and sub unit, this shows what goals must be achieved by and when that basically maps out a pathway through the RDF's re-org, published on a wall in barracks it can serve to focus everyones attention on the matters at hand and improve morale as checkpoints are reached and passed. Anyway a bit far fetched but basically more feedback on the progress of the re-org to recruits privates and NCOs.

also increase comms between units, good quality PCs and at least broadband connections to the armies network (i dont know if this is done and would assume it is in at least the dublin units)

PT, this is bloody silly, some guys in units are that unfit that theyre wheezing after an hours parade FFS. All it is is a brisk walk!! ok admittedly you can get pretty stiff and sore standing at attention and hammering your foot down on "AIRE" etc. the "Three strikes and your out" suggestion bystrummer is a good one, there should at least be a 10 minute warm up, jog around the barracks a few times, and do a few pressups etc, not for PT but to build morale etc and to kinda warm you up, marching can be bloody cold!!

But it sould be a necessity that you do your own training, im only getting over a fairly hefty ankle injury, but i do half an hours work on it a night and got the all clear to start running again, so i jog for about 30-40 minutes every other day and can easily run the 1.5 miles (PDF army fitness requirement) in under 11 minutes. ive weight loss and strength improvement goals. for instance 6 weeks ago i couldnt do 5 pressups!! seriously, now i can hammer through 2 reps of 25 in about 3 minutes, ive built it up over a couple of weeks adding 5 more to the exercise every week. anyway im not here to blow my own trumpet, but fitness levels among RDF units is a joke.
      "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
      "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

morp. when you talk about broadband or hard line connections between each RDF coy for better comms you must remember that not even the PDF have that kind of comms ability.

and strummer granted 30 mins a week is not enough for physical training but its a good start and it would encourage members to go jogging or go to the gym more often especially when they see how they preform with their sections.

Think about this as well 30 mins a week is no good for physical training but can you say that 2 hours a week is good for developing soldiering skills???

and on the press-ups issue 20 press-ups in under a minute is easy enough just close your eyes and think of england and do them quickly.i few months ago all i did was press-ups and i was at the stage where i could do 40 in one minute but now i've started jogging on a threadmill, so my own work-outs include 30 mins running on the mill, run about 3.5 km and then one round of 20 press-ups, i try to do this daily.
        It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

well right away i can think of last week when my NCO told us how it was up to each individual to look after their fitness for the good of the unit. There were a few nods, a couple of sniggers, i just hope they run the hell out of us at recruit camp (although to be honest I dont know what to expect really) because it would really show whos fit and who isnt.

An example: Im off on my lunch break now to suss out a local park, hopefully ill start jogging there for 30 mins each day and then shower back in work, eating my lunch at my desk. I doubt there are many people willing to sacrafice a thing even as simple as a lunch break to improve their fitness.

All this talk about PT tests for the RDF, does anyone know if it will be implemented as part of the re-org... a better question... WHERE ARE THE RDFRA WHEN YOU NEED THEM???
          "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

the RDFRA are always there for their members who are fully paid up on their subscriptions. And you do little PT training on recruit camp, when i did mine all we did was constant foot drill and marching up and down the square and we did our first T.O.E.T.'s. All we did that came close to PT training was run twice around the accomodation block in Gormonstown( thats where i did my camp. nice mess) and when we were finished training for the day a quick game of footy before hittin the mess.

Comment

here's a question for any PDF members out there
              What do you have against the RDF?

Comment

gormanston eh?
                nice one, wish we were there this year, my girlfriend lives up the road, i could sneak out at night and.... anyway... i think that PT should be introduced, all i meant about the RDFRA is that their website is very basic and not updated often, which if it was could certainly attract more members, they are too low profile, are one of their representatives based with our unit??

also im not a paid up member because im not sworn in yet, as soon as i am, ill be joining them.
                :D

Comment

The major problem with PT is you cannot do it unless you have an army qualified PTI present to supervise it. You could be a Level 3 PTI with a degree in Sports science and still can't do anything because it is not a army qualification even thought the army PTI's do the same courses.

The army will not accept qualifications that the RDF have and until that happens nothing will change.

Comment

do you think PTI's will be provided when intergration is brought in?

Comment

bam bam here's a question for you ?

why the stupid question's ?

keep safe.

Comment

jpb remember when you've nothing relevent to say its best to say nothing

Comment

Yes
                          sigpic
                          Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                          My favourite moment was when the
                          Originally posted by hedgehog
                          red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

jpb are you a member of the PDF if yes how do you feel about the RDF?
                            Last edited by Bam Bam; 25 March 2004, 16:04.

Comment

lads the pdf will never see us as full equals, no army in the world sees its reserves as equals

Comment

Working...
                              X