The Bren being phased out.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Bren being phased out.

I have been told that the bren is to be phased out by the end of the year in my unit. As far as I can tell the 2* are to be trained on the GPMG from this year on.

Any other units heard anything about this?

I don't know if this is true or not as I have been told similar tales before.

Also have been told that GPMG will be thought on camp to everyone.

Hope its true. :D
    "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

The GPMG needs to be replaced too. In fact I'd say there are Brens in better nick than some Mags.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Dont think the Bren is being phased out, its is still on the pots course syllabus this year.
      If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

people having been telling me that its been phased out since I joined up......13 years ago!:D
        Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I actually prefer the bren, to be honest.

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
            The GPMG needs to be replaced too. In fact I'd say there are Brens in better nick than some Mags.
            Particuliar GPMG's may have to be replaced, but the GPMG as a weapon system is superior to all comers in it's role.

Should the army move towards the newer mobile section, there may be a need to supplement the GPMG with a lighter system such as the Minimi, but no need to discard it.

Comment

Bren

If was to be phased out next year the Pots would not be training on it and how to instruct on it this year.

Besides they have been saying all sorts of things about the GPMG and the Bren for years. The GPMG is too heavy for a section weapon, apparently, and the Bren is just an antique. The Minimi seems like the viable option, uses 5.56mm, good rate of fire and light.
              As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

I was told by a previous PDF commanadant that the bren is going to be service for a right few years to come cos a new GPMG costs €9,000 and the DF hasnt the cash, even for the PDF

Comment

but the GPMG as a weapon system is superior to all comers in it's role.

It certainly is. But that thought didn't cross my mind when I had to follow the gas plug and regulator up the range one day. All the Mags we have are 30 years old. They need replacing badly. Having a great system is f**k all good if individual weapons don't work.
                  sigpic
                  Say NO to violence against Women

My favourite moment was when the
                  red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

The only problem with the Bren is its calibre,but that is a minor thing when you consider that the pdf section now has the same problem as the RDF one,namely the fact that 2 calibres are in use.
                    Most of the Brens are 1956 vintage,and are rarely fired,almost never in exercise. They have a lot of life in them yet,and given the option, Is there much difference between Lugging around a Bren and its "bag", with Magazines and ammo,or a Mag,with belts? I'll take the bren thanks..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Apart from a certain phantom Bren that seems to want to strip itself without any warning, while marching with it, I've never had a problem with the weapon. If there was any real need to bin the Bren it would have been done decades ago.

It's a reliable weapon and the DF know that they can keep them going for a good few years to come.
                      As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

There is always one....dodgy Barrel nut...or the user didnt wait for the click..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

What does the GPMG need to be phased out for? with proper maintenence its a wonderful weapon-hell out in east timore where we were taking them out on patrols with us other armies were looking shocked because they considered it an anti-air weapon because of its abilities....it does the job its supposed to do and does it better than some of its counterparts so why phase it out?

Comment

no doubt the DF will be getting something in the form of minimis ... maybe the RRF Battalion might get it first but for the rest of the DF its looks like another few years away

Comment

Well assuming that theres no pressing need for Reserve units to go operational in the next decade Id suggest the only major weakness of the Bren is procuring ammunition.
                              There can't be many military .303 producers left, then again India still has various police units equipped with the Bren and SMLE IV so we could always ship from there, the alternative would be to convert the brens to 7.62 which would require new magazines or more extensive modification for belt feeding which might be a bit rich considering the age of the system.
                              Then theres the absence of the kind of kinked barrels the Brits fitted to their 7.62 Brens.
                              Still it might be better for Reserve units to discontinue training on the Bren and simply borrow whatever becomes the standard from the PDF as the Cav have done in the past.

Actually on the subject of .303 for the Bren does anyone know if it would be more costly to acquire if the DF was forced to turn to purely commercial sources to keep its Brens running?
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X