Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height Requirement for Army

Hi All,

Could anyone give credance to the rumour that I have heard about the Height requirement going down to 5Ft 2 for the Army and Reserve?

I have already looked through Military.ie and it is at the old requirement but military.ie seems to take forever to be updated.

well whatever it is for the reserves i can tell you it certainly wouldnt be strictly enforced...i know some women under the req. and parading!! :p

Comment

its 5ft 2 now for a while due to the fact you cant discriminate people about their hight!
      Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

My girlfriend is 5 foot even
        (HEY!!! no funny looks, good things come in small packages )

Anyway, my point is that shes a qualified dental nurse, and could join the PDF on a great salary far far better than any civvie job pays in that role considering the
        ammount of study required to get the qualification, but I wonder if her height would keep her out, i think theyre looking for dental nurses, or were recently.....

Doesnt really matter, ive tried to get her to join,

but she hates the army...

says it takes her man away from her too often :D
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

There was a female in my old unit for a short time who was about 4' 6" (come to think of it, there were a few) and she was told on the medical to come back for the height measurement wearing high heels.
          Take these men and women for your example.
          Like them, remember that posterity can only
          be for the free; that freedom is the sure
          possession of those who have the
          courage to defend it.
          Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
          If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Appoint them to the 81 LBM team.
            "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

is this restriction in height for the pdf or rdf?
              and last i heard the air corp has gone down to 5ft 4 ". does this mean that the specials, ie:sitting height..etc have changed???

Comment

It's not only Females that are under the height requirement.

The Air Corps have a list of mearurements for their cadets to adhere to.

T.I.M : I believe it only went to 5ft 4" to eliminate discrimination and not 5ft 2".

Docman: I haven't heard anything about this change to 5ft 2" but I do think it would be a bit mad! If you let people in under the height limit as it is, imagine the vertically challenged soldiers we'd have if we reduced it!
                I don't believe in love - just friendship + sex

Comment

The rules put such an emphasis on height and not a thought is given to general fitness for recruits in the reserve. Is there any talk of bringing a basic fitness test in for potential recruits?

Comment

There used to be one up until a while ago for reservists but they got rid of it.
                    Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

as one who has been in the Reserves since 1988,thats news to me!

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

just relaying what or nco`s told us. If there wasn`t one,they really should introduce one.
                        Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

If there is a piece of equipment that the enlistee is likely to have to use that requires the height (for instance I'd like to see a 5' 2" pte get over an eight foot wall in a hurry) then equality legislation should not apply.
                          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I would like to see a 5'6" private get over one. What is your hard on with assault courses ?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Obstacle crossing is an elementary part of soldier training
                              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Working...
                              X