No announcement yet.

Combat infantry course

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anything that improves proficency in tactics is a good thing. Realistically, thats where most RDF units have problems."

You need to be able to walk before you can tapdance.
    Bearing in mind that we are a reserve defence force, I consider the need to have basic level of skills in the field to be paramount. If we can march in step and shoot at static targets but cannot carry out basic level section and platoon tactics in the field, as very many units can’t, then we are toy soldiers.
    Remember that tactics in the field are used as the building blocks for training in essential skills in the IS role.

Comment

Originally posted by Goldie fish
      I pity the unit that has CQ as an officer.....
      Wha?
      "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

thats a bit much now isnt it? can you imagine the ammount of people that would fail? great idea tho... but you never put in "introduction to fieldcraft under durress " and it should be a week..
        Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

Much more to the point, what does this "Adventurous training" mean? Training in Limerick on a Saturday night?

As a non RDF person, I was kind of surprised to hear that these courses were not run anyways.

And while the course suggested is challenging, theres no good reason why any relatively fit person shouldn't be in a position to pass it (swimming aside) after a little training. I mean, if you're a serving member of the RDF, isn't there some kind of stated level of [hysical fitness that you've to maintain?

Comment

I think this is a great idea. :D

Comment

"introduction to fieldcraft under durress "

Is this what Scratch is called now? Last I heard it was tactical PT or something similar.
              Take these men and women for your example.
              Like them, remember that posterity can only
              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
              possession of those who have the
              courage to defend it.
              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Its called intoduction to the Glen.
                If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

I think it would be a great idea. Hits all the core areas, incl swimming, remember in Europe we encounter water obstacles on average every 7 KM and river crossings are a major killer. Some of the more vague subjects such as adventure trg and intro to f/craft would need to be tied down, but would be a great way to end a 3* course. Logistically it wouldn't be too difficult to run, but you maybe would require some input from the DFSPC for PT standards?

Comment

If you didn't make this a compulsory event, then people won't train for it. Also there are swim tests for the NS and ARW. 400m (16 Lengths -25M pool)is well doable.

Comment

Aidan,
                      at present there is no fitness requirement for the RDF. would be a good idea to have one though, especially with re-org.
                      i heard a wee bit about scratch last night, whats involved? who gets to go on it?
                      "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Live fire exercises would be good... or are these run for RDF already?
                        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

WHAT? LIVE FIRE???

Are you mad, seriously, think about it (properly) for a minute. Aload of people running around with live rounds in the mag trying shoot each other....

Its bad enough when people accidently shoot each other on the range, but the encourage them is a whole other story. The medics would really earn their money then.....
                          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

or why not shoot live rounds over peoples heads during the run to make them go quicker:D :D
                            (probably add a bit of realism as well)
                            "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Live fire ex's are the norm in other armies and are also present in the DF.
                              With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

Some RDF units have already been experimenting with controlled Live fire exercises,but it requires strict umpiring,and most RDF units cannot spare the extra personell required.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                                X