Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best type of Infantry Fitness

Hello all,
    I just wanted to start a thread to see can I find the best way to get and keep fit in the RDF. We all know the 20/20/11mins thing for the PDF has been dicussed but that's a joke. I find personally that even though i'd be running, in the gym & playing football 5 or 6 times a week, i'm still knackered after a few section in attacks. Anyone any idea's on how to increase this very specific type of fitness? Afterall it's a fairly unique physical activity!

Cheers,
    Barndoor (as in, couldn't hit a)

ha ha ha... nice name...

well im no expert on the matter but how about you just keep doing section in atack after section in atack after section in atack till you become fit? surely the muscles you want to improve will after 10 a day or so...

but now... where to do them... hmmm
    Over the centuries, mankind has tried many ways of combating the forces of evil...prayer, fasting, good works and so on. Up until Doom, no one seemed to have thought about the double-barrel shotgun. Eat leaden death, demon...

http://www.iamawesome.com/

Comment

In my unit (RDF) we're starting the IT fitness tests commencing next week.

I asked the PDF PTI if it was going to be written or practical. I had a preference for a written test.

I got a vacant stare as a reply. I don't think he got the joke.
      Beart do reir ar mbriathar

Comment

If you fail these IT's what will happen? Personally I'd love to have these introduced into the RDF as a whole.

Comment

Speed training and something thats very intense on LME like rock climbing or fast swimming are good ways to prepare yourself for the stop start rhythym of section in attack.
          For speed training you can use a bike, but that leaves your legs expecting the wrong kind of motion, if you've got great self discipline you can just practice sprints
          Otherwise get down to a gym and get on a stepper, 1 min max speed, 30 sec rest, ten times over.
          Beyond that you'd need to ask a pti.
          The other stuff your doing will serve you well though so keep it up.

Edit:
          Use the halves and quaters. I'd recommend , jogg the length 3 times, sprint half way, jog in effect the full length , ie one half down one half back, sprint the remaining half , then jog back the entire length then sprint the half.
          if you do 30 minutes of that twice a week no section attack will ever be a problem
          With permission from the guy who said it.
          Last edited by Come-quickly; 5 May 2004, 15:25.
          "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

You will have to build up your an-aerobic fitness. To do that first of all you have to be fit aerobically. Aerobic fitness comes from training until your heart is about 50-60% Max HR (220-age). Anaerobic fitness comes from pushing yourself harder until heart is 60-80% Max HR. (Anaerobic = Ability of the body to continue on less and less oxygen)

ie.

Average 20 year old.
            Max Heart rate = 220-20= 200.
            Aerobic fitness threashold 50-60% Max HR = 100-120 Heart beats per minute.

Anaerobic Fitness = 120-160 Heart beats per minute.

It is the stop sprint stop sprint that F*&%$s you up on a section in attack. By training hard at about 150-160 heart beats per minute, you will improve your anaerobic fitness, HOWEVER, if you are not already aerobically fit, anaerobic training is very dangerous. A good PTI will be able to prescribe a series of exercises that are good for anaerobic training

Also, LME (Local muscular endurance) training is good for section in attack. Strength and LME are very different. LME involves doing light weight constantly to build up your endurance. To work out your LME threashold, you will have to do a fitness test with a PTI.

In general, just for the moment try running with a backpack and increase the weight over a period of weeks.

Comment

Try interval training. There's a training regime called the tabata protocol (you can do a search on it in google) in particular. Basically it's just an extreme interval training routine, you sprint for 20 seconds followed by only 10 seconds rest repeating 8-12 times or until exhaustion. Because the rest period is so extremely low you heart doesn't get that much of a chance to slow down so your VO2 uptake stays very high. Also you are sprint, balls to the wall, throughout it so it increases your anaerobic threshold immensly.

I used this routine when I was training for the Royal Marine Commandos, and it did me very well in the selection procedures. You have to be pretty fit before you do the above routine and even then only do it 1-2 times per week, coupled with some long 5-10 mile runs. ALWAYS make sure you warm up before and after, for 10 minutes each or so or you risk some serious problems. Also I used to start each sprint set by lying on the ground, fire maneuvers normally require you to go from prone position sprinting 20-30 metres then going to ground again.

"It is the stop sprint stop sprint that F*&%$s you up on a section in attack. By training hard at about 150-160 heart beats per minute, you will improve your anaerobic fitness, HOWEVER, if you are not already aerobically fit, anaerobic training is very dangerous."

I can't agree with docman enough, it's extremely dangerous for your heart if you do these kinds of routines and are not already very fit. I used to time my pulse after the training regime i mention above and it was regularly 190+.

Good Luck with your training. :D

Comment

By far the most important thing is to get a routine going.

Most people work better in a group (instructor led fitness )

people joining a gym are unlikely to keep up regular practice of the kind that's needed.

Circuit training is v. good for aerobic fitness not so much for anaer

but as someone said the heart and lungs must be ok first ( those of you who know me know I'm a 20 a day man ) and circuits will help a lot .

Is Fartlek training gone by the wayside now ?
                "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Cheers lads, that tabata protocol is really something else. You can pack an hours exercise into 4 mins Must agree tho, not for the faint hearted. Any other advise going?

-Barndoor

Comment

The best cardio-vasualar exercises include:

running
                    walking
                    rowing
                    swimming

Comment

On the topic of fitness, I assume theres a good number of fit people here, was just wondering, anyone ever suffer from shin splints? And whats the best/fastest way to recover from them?

Comment

Ive been told pains in he shins from running are due to weak calves, try using working that muscle group in the gym a bit more.
                        When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
                        All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

There's a hell of alot of opinions on what to do when you get shin splints. You'll have to just try everything and see what works for you. I've had shin splints twice, first when I was getting fit enough to join the Royal Marines. When I got them that time I just reduced my running frequency alot, I substitute ALOT of swimming and cycling to compensate, I did stretches, treated the area with ice etc and they eventually went away. The second time I got them was when I was at CTCRM, I had them pretty bad, as did alot of others, I just kept training through them and again they eventually went away, hurts like hell but I didn't want to be backtrooped.

I wouldn't recommend training through them unless you absolutely need to, reducing running/stretching/ice treatment and massage should work, but it is really annoying. :-patriot:

Oh yes, just a note. I'm not a Royal Marine, I pulled out from training at week 20 for personal reasons.

Comment

Cool thanks for the advice. I'll do the ice and also fitness is an absolute necessary. I'll find a way to compensate for reduced running. (probably as pat said... the gym)

Comment

If you suffer from shin splints, as I do, do toe taps.

Hold your leg straight out, foot about 3 inches off the ground
                              Now without moving your leg, Bring your toes up towards you and then press them down towards the ground, stretching the muscle.

I was adviced to do this by a PTI.

Comment

Working...
                              X