Army Gaisce Week

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Army Gaisce Week

Has anyone here ever been on the army gaisce week, or heard about it? Basically the defence forces opens its doors to 25 participants from around the country and takes them to the Wicklow mountains for a few days survival training or something. The reason im asking is i applied for a place, and was wondering what to expect. Would mentioning the fact that im in the RDF, on the course help or hinder me?
    Last edited by Infy; 8 May 2004, 11:30.

a relation of mine did it recently. They loved it, a few days camping, river crossing, rope work, etc, etc, tough but rewarding, run by the FAR from McKee, wouldnt do any harm to mention you are in the RDF but dont go on about it.

Comment

A friend of mine went on the week with the PDF and enjoyed it.

What I didn't like to hear was that they were issued with DPM's and all sorts of equipment for that week. My company would be lucky to get the same treatment once a year.
      As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

And at the end they had to get it back. It's good publicity and funded outside. Stop whining.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Sounds good, how do you and who do you apply to do it?

Comment

well you have to be doing one of the awards, im doing the gold. You write to head office and outline why you feel the course would help you in your future etc etc. i got word yesterday that i got it. pity i wont get to keep the gear though! il keep youse informed as to how it goes, i cant bloody wait:D

Comment

i rang up mckee barracks a few months ago hoping to do it as an adventure challenge for my silver award.. they said (back then) that it would be run when significant numbers apply.. then it turned out that the 4 day exercise did not cover the criteria set for the silver award so i couldn`t do it and instead spent 3 days cycling around killory harbour in the pissing rain!!

Comment

thats nasty it only covers part of the adventure section you should have applied anyway, i have my adventure done but the main reason im doing it is because i am leading a group on their brinze award and the training will probably come in handy when we go out hillwalking/camping for a night.

Comment

Whats involved for an RDF Corporal going on the Gaisce Outdoor Event?

Ive been offered the chance to go as one of the RDF staff on the Gaisce event this year. Ive got zero clue what it involves so Id be delighted if you could give me a bit of info before I decide whether to do it or not. Im an infantry corporal so Im hoping I might enjoy it.
                  Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Dougal
                    Ive been offered the chance to go as one of the RDF staff on the Gaisce event this year. Ive got zero clue what it involves so Id be delighted if you could give me a bit of info before I decide whether to do it or not. Im an infantry corporal so Im hoping I might enjoy it.
                    Thanks!
                    Truthfully, I didn't know that RDF personnel went on the Gaisce adventure training as part of the staff. I know from reading a number of articles (An Cosantóir) on same that 2 Fd Arty Regt conduct this annually (I think). I'm not sure if other PDF units do it or not. From what I've read, the exercise involves team building, using a linited amount of materials to construct something for a given purpose. For example, a popular one seems to be to construct a raft with available materials to get across a lake, etc. Other stuff seems to involve moving tactically at night, getting hit up, etc.
                    "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

As far as I know there is no tactical element at all. It was run by 2FAR with 25 participants for a a long time but seems to have been expanded out tin to a few differant regions and into the hands of the RDF. I think this was to get more participants through it.

Bulk of it is bivvying out, eating ration packs, basic navigation and survival.

Comment

Originally posted by Dougal
                        Thanks!
                        One of my Cpl.s was asked to be on the staff running the gaisce last year but it was as a driver you will prob be the same.
                        The school of artillery told us it couldn't be done...
                        They were wrong.

Comment

Theres a Gaisce event taking place in the Slieve Blooms in April, 3rd year running - organised by the local RDF, and it's expanded every year. The main element is organising hikes for the Gaisce groups, with RDF leaders, then also running the base camp.

I've been involved through CD at the same event for the last few years, it's been a great success up to now. Have heard very little about it this year though, information seems very thin on the ground.
                          With 50,000 men getting killed a week, who's going to miss a pigeon?

Guns don't kill people, bullets kill people.

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
                            9 Inf Bn FCA used to do this annually.
                            Sorry, Kermit, forgot that one, you're bang on the nose. There was an article on it in the last
                            few months. That's the same one Yellowjacket is referring to above.
                            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I done it a few years ago it was run by the 2nd far
                              I can't make you do anything but i can make you wish you had.

Comment

Working...
                              X