Ex-Brits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ex-Brits?

Rite lads Im a Northern lad who has recently left the Royal Marines and Im considering joining the PDF .Was wondering what you guys normally thought of Ex-Brits and how they get on in the PDF ? I would like to try for the ARW as it is a similar kind of role to the RM, but don't know much about them(apart from the official website stuff!) A southern mate of mine at my unit did they were shit hot ! Any help would be great lads !
    Cheers Matt:D

generally BA training and methods are considered quite similar to the PDF, apart from equipmet differences. ARW would be equiv to SAS standard than basic RM, they also train closelt with GSG9, French SF, etc. Not trying to put you down or anything, go for it. But ARW entry isnt a walkover, injuries etc and attitude, even lack of intelligence have kept many a good man out. For PDF, Only issue is could you cope with going through basic and 3* training all over again, while keeping your head down and nose to the grindstone. Also need to be under a certain age (26 I think?). Why did you leave the RM?

Comment

Not trying to be rude mate but I left for personal reasons . I am aware the simmilarities between ARW and SAS I have heard lots of good suff about them in the British forces. What I meant by simmilar role was that of a combatant ,as I have noticed the PDF mainly contribute to international peacekeeping ?In terms of trainning I have no problems with doing it again ,I would actully feel diffrent to the other lads if I didnt !Are you serving at the moment mate ,do you enjoy it and what do you typically do day to day?Cheers mate:D

Comment

Age would be the big factor here, you have to be under 25 for the Army & under 27 for the Navy (they're supposedly raising the age for the Army, give them a ring to find out).
        "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Wow you guys have decided I'm an old git !:o I joined as a boy soldier Im 19 now ! One more question for you though, if you do 5years in the Army do you have to do 7 years in the reservers after ? Why ?
          Cheers

Comment

Its just a paper work exercise ...the reserves of exers were considered as the first line reserve and the RDF the second ...there are very few active on the first line anymore as most opt to the rdf on retiremnet if still interested ...don't let it stop you.

WWhat was your unit ...my wifes fist cousin is currently seving as RM......also had a good friend who did 12 years with 42 commando.
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Cheers hptmurphy,
              I have only served with CTCRM as I said personal reasons have held me back here and I was unable to go to a Commando unit (although I am trainned!). As a Junior Marine you normally do your first couple of years down there on sigs , MFC courses ,main gate stag; etc waiting for your 18 and the draft to go operational (40,42,45) !I now alot of lads in 42 alothough most Irish/N.I boys choose to go 45 ,what unit is the in-law with? Did he do his entire 12 yrs with 42?

Comment

I'm not too sure about the inlaw as I only discoverd it last week.

My mate however was 42 commando and sweaty betty......qualified as a PTI but was never assigned ..also did time attached to nato HQ in Brussels.....and a few attachments that can't be mentioned here.

he retired in 1990 and I first meet him when we were trianng to be Airport fire fighters in Teeside in 1991....he is not Irish....
                Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Sweaty Betty boys bit out of my league we mere child soldiers rarely spoke to them very much a big boy clicque !(If a civvie was reading this thread the above statment could cause havoc !:D )

Comment

Working...
                  X