No announcement yet.

New Mortar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now I've never fired a mortar in my life, but sources tell me in soft/hard ground (can't remember which) dig a hole, but sandbags in, but baseplate in.

Are these 2 pictures or the same model of mortar then, just the second one has no bipod, sights, but with combined handle/sights instead?

Comment

You shouldnt have to dig a hole in soft/hard ground for a mortar, no matter what size of mortar you are firiing. Just throw a few sand bags underneath the baseplate if you are in boggy/soft ground. Normally you would allow 2 rounds for bedding in.

Comment

I thought modern mortar tactics were, that you fire your round and get the hell out of there. As once a round is in the air its trajectory can be tracked and an opposing round fired, landing down the barrel of your mortar.

This is why the emphasise is now on short rang, small cal, light mortars.

J

Comment

I was at the maiden shoot of the 60 Vector shoot. The mortar had made the hole inself form the constant firing. To be honest it wasnt much to look at. The commando unit was really impressive.
          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

here, there is no way they are going to substitute a 81mm or 120mm mortar for a 60mm no matter what advances they have made in terms of ammunition.

The new 60 will be issued at a different level to the 81mm and will be deployed different

Comment

Vektor M1
              Calibre: 60mm
              Range: 100m - 2100m (Smoke 100m - 1691m)
              Base Plate: 6.7 kg
              Barrel: 4 kg
              Bipod: 5.6 kg
              Sights: 1.5 kg
              Total Weight: 17.8 kg
              Rate of Fire: 15-20 rpm
              Rounds: HE, Smoke, Practice
              Round Weight: 1.8 kg

A conversion kit is available (it looks as if the DF purchased this) to turn a Vektor M1 into a Vektor M4Mk1. Differences are below.

Range: 100m - 2050m (Smoke 100m - 1691m)
              Total Weight: 7 kg

A different conversion kit is also available to convert it into a Vektor M4L3 (not purchased by DF). Differences are below:

Range: 100m - 1200m
              Total Weight: 7.5 kg

Comment

[MOD: Merge]Sorry to go off a small bit, but has anyone heard of a new mortar comming on line? to replace the 60?
                Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
                - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

The Vektor? Its mentioned elsewhere(with photos) search function should find it.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

but has anyone heard of a new mortar comming on line? to replace the 60?
                    It is in already aand crews have been trained on it, a nice piece of kit

The commando base plate is the dogs hangy down bits
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Heard talk a while back that the 7th were going to be training on it "soon"
                      "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

Was trained on that this year. Nice bit of kit. Was odd getting our hands on them as they were brand new, straight from the factory. Usual stuff is usually ancient hand me downs.
                        "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

Ive heard nothing about replacing the 81mm, no reason to so far. And your right about the South African ammo its well dodgy. The new Vektors sights are a much simpler system than than Brandt makes it very easy to use
                          Religion is like a puddle thinking that the hole in the ground that it sits in is so perfect for it that some higher being must have created it

Comment

Originally posted by gunmoney
                            [MOD: Merge]Sorry to go off a small bit, but has anyone heard of a new mortar comming on line? to replace the 60?
                            Yes, I've heard some rumours.

Was trained on that this year. Nice bit of kit. Was odd getting our hands on them as they were brand new, straight from the factory. Usual stuff is usually ancient hand me downs.
                            Since it's only in sevice two years or so, there are no ancient hand me downs yet.
                            Groundhog
                            Chief of the Diet Tribe
                            Last edited by Groundhog; 18 September 2005, 16:12.
                            sigpic
                            Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                            My favourite moment was when the
                            Originally posted by hedgehog
                            red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

just wondering why they were brought in desert tan as opposed to olive paint scheme not that it makes a differance .
                              "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Iv seen it in our stores 2 weeks ago. Its a tan colour for some reason but all the pouches are irish dpm. I was told its to replace the 81mm for the rdf but i dont know how true that is
                                Factories dont burn themselves down, they need help from people like you and me.

Comment

Working...
                                X