Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'Traumatised' soldier sues the State

Lebanon horrors 'left soldier stressed'

AN Army corporal has begun a High Court action for damages claiming he is suffering from post traumatic stress disorder after witnessing fatal incidents while serving with the UN in the Lebanon.

He saw several Israeli soldiers being blown up close to him and a helicopter crash with casualties.

Francis Corbett (32), Dominick Street, Cork, went to the Lebanon shortly before his 18th birthday. He was in an observation post when he saw an Israeli soldier on minesweeper patrol step on a mine. The soldier was blown up, leaving Mr Corbett shocked and distressed. When he came home he began to drink heavily.

He went to the Lebanon again in 1993 and saw members of an Israeli patrol being blown up about 50ft away. During a 1997 Lebanon trip, an Italian helicopter crashed near his post and he saw the bodies of three passengers. The defence submitted he failed to report any specific incident which would give rise to his claims and volunteered to return to the Lebanon.

The hearing continues.

From the Irish Independent today.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

There doesn't appear to be anything particularly traumatic in that. Virtually any soldier who served in Lebanon can tell similar war stories. If he was so traumatised by his first tour, he would not/should not have volunteered again. Incidentally I was discussing this yesterday with a buddy who told me he's bluffing about the helicopter incident. I think this lad is trying to board the gravy train. I hope he crashes and burns.
    sigpic

Comment

hmm i wonder ... ! I know of lads who were far more exposed to traumatic expieriences and haven't jumped on the compo band wagon..

Is this to be the new army deafness syndrome?
      Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

I noticed he went overseas for 4 or 5 trips after this..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Wasn't there a similiar case in the late 80's/early 90's??? ...Or am I imagining things again?

I don't think he's got much grounds of a case...yet another example of the fact that the state appears to be run by and for lawyers....any update on that slopping out case?
          "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
            Wasn't there a similiar case in the late 80's/early 90's??? ...Or am I imagining things again?
            I think someone used it as their defence in a murder case.
            Meh.

Comment

I think the fact that he went back 3 more times after the first 'traumatic' incident speaks volumes for itself.He put himsefl into those positions.If he couldn't hack it then why go back again and again?If this hearing doesn't get thrown out, I think i'l sue them for the disappearance of my temper

Comment

I think someone used it as their defence in a murder case.

A Pte from Dublin, named Sean Courtney, battered a woman to death in the Dublin mountains about 1992. He claimed he was suffering from PTSD as a result of his Lebanon service. Presumably as part of an insanity plea. It did not work thankfully.

He also, incidentally, appeared in court in uniform every day, which led to a change in regulations governing the wearing of uniforms.
                sigpic

Comment

Before going to the Leb with the 68Bn in Oct '90 my Pln received a talk on PTSD from a medical officer. Briefly we were told if we saw or were involved in any traumatic incident we should talk about it among ourselves and not bottle it up or try to be the "macho man". He stressed the importance of talking things out and also that the best people to talk to about it were the others who were involved. He also emphasised that the 2 MO's with the BN were available to help if needed.

Comment

well lads ptsd may strike the individual at any moment after the incident. ptsd is a serious psychological condition which sadly our defence forces never prepared for nor never adequately addressed. i for one genuinely believe he may have a case for compensation...
                    game on now Ger...

Comment

Did this cpl not understand what career he had chosen?
                      If you join the army and volunteer to serve in a warzone then you can be pretty damn sure you`ll see some horrible things.This guy is either stupid or (more likely) trying to scam the state out of a few thousand euro.
                      Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

well the state never provided the adequate back up should the situation arise. for those reasons the state is neglegent
                        game on now Ger...

Comment

"he failed to report any specific incident which would give rise to his claims and volunteered to return to the Lebanon."

Why did he return so often if he was so traumatised? Also, its not the states fault that he was to macho to talk to someone about his feelings and state of mind.
                          Education isn't everything, for a start it isn't an elephant

Comment

How can the state be liable if he never requested help? If I get attacked on the street tomorrow and don't ring an ambulance, I can't sue the state for refusing to give me medical attention.
                            "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                            - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Firstly you need to remember that what you are reading is someones interpretation of the evidence produced in the case not neccessarily the whole story.

Secondly, there is no other recourse for a soldier who is injured other than the courts.

I read a number of those articles and tried to visualise behind the lines to see where there might be a case. There are 2 points that indicate an exposure.
                              1) He was sent overseas before his 18 birthday, which is against military regulations.
                              2) After the first incident an officer (I'm not sure if he was his platoon or company commander) spoke to him and while he felt he wasn't affected by the incident he thought a couple of days at Coy HQ might be good for him.

Very light I know but it is enough to start asking the question.

And futurepilot, PTSD is a very real illness that can impact the most macho of soldiers. The Defence Forces have estimated that over 90% of soliders returning from duty in the lebanon suffered from some form of PTSD, most recovered within the first month or two after returning. Your "suck it up" type comment shows a complete ignorance on your part. You are the sort of person who would have agreed with shooting him for cowardice in World War 1 or imprisoning him for Low Moral Fibre in World War 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X