Defence Forces on Sky News

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defence Forces on Sky News

Just a little head's up, there is a nice piece on the DF on sky news Ireland at 10 pm, they showed a bit of the kit used and the ARW'S new Ford f-350's, nice job that they are too:-patriot:

any links?
    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

No, not yet ex-pat, sorry

Comment

No as there is no sky news ireland page on sky.com/news. Although there could be a Skynews Ireland website soon as skynews.ie as been Registered. Shame realy as the only way I could watch it is if I had sky digital but I only have cable:( :(
        It was the year of fire...the year of destruction...the year we took back what was ours.
        It was the year of rebirth...the year of great sadness...the year of pain...and the year of joy.
        It was a new age...It was the end of history.
        It was the year everything changed.

Comment

Well at least I finally found out what .50 rifle the wing's uses:D

Comment

Seems like just a show of force before Bush arrives. Showed some ARW with their faces covered prancing around and the Air Defence capabilities, explaining that they can take out anything in the air. All the kit looked good.

Come and have a go, if you think you're hard enough?? :D

Comment

I think the wing has earned the right to prance around, and the tricked out Ford's were in one word, Cool ,and the bomb disposal gear looked impressive:-patriot:

Comment

They were on TV3 also,and on RTE. See the news section for the RTE clip.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

"Seems like just a show of force before Bush arrives. Showed some ARW with their faces covered prancing around and the Air Defence capabilities, explaining that they can take out anything in the air."

The DF has an air defence capability? Since when? There was silly me thinking the US & Britain provided air cover for any event that required of it. Deary me. Still, it's good to know that the safety and well being of the Chief of Staff of the US military is being entrusted entirely to the capable hands of the DF.

(JAG keels over at his desk, rolling on the floor with laughter, while his employers and support staff look on in slightly disturbed bewilderment)
                  Take these men and women for your example.
                  Like them, remember that posterity can only
                  be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                  possession of those who have the
                  courage to defend it.
                  Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                  If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Commander in Chief not Chief of Staff.

Comment

Does anyone know if and where there are pic's from the demonstration yesterday?

Comment

And because it's after 4am something pointless, did anyone else notice the ARW lad's had SPIE attachment's on their assault vest's now that is something I'd like to see them do

Comment

Whats SPIE?

Comment

isnt it some system wherby up to ten soldiers can be connected together by rope and lifted or dragged out of the sea or into a chopper or something? I think i read something about SEALS using it...

*Morpheus goes off to google*

From: https://www.doctrine.usmc.mil/signpubs/r3114a.pdf

SPIE (SPECIAL PATROL INSERTION AND EXTRACTION) OPERATIONS

The Special Patrol Insertion and Extraction (SPIE) system rapidly inserts/extracts a reconnaissance patrol from an area that does not permit a helicopter landing. During SPIE operations, the SPIE rope is lowered into the pickup area from a hovering helicopter and patrol personnel hook up to the SPIE rope. The helicopter lifts vertically from the extract zone until the rope and personnel are clear of obstructions, then proceeds in forward flight to a secure insert zone. The rope and personnel are treated as an external load; therefore, airspeeds, altitudes, and oscillations must be
                            monitored. This chapter establishes the basic guidelines for conducting SPIE operations and training Marines in the technique.

The SPIE rope assembly consists of two tapered eye splices, one at each end. The tapered eye splice, used for attaching the rope to the helicopter, is encapsulated in polyurethane for protection from abrasion. The rope itself is coated with a nylon solution that protects the core of the rope. There are five pairs of D-rings that start 7 feet from the running end of the rope, are spaced 1 foot apart, and are 7 feet from the center to the center of the succeeding pair of rings.

looks cool :D

Last edited by morpheus; 24 June 2004, 15:52.
                            "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
                            "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Kermit

Are you joking or serious? 40 year old second hand AAA & shoulder launched missiles? Maybe if Al Quaeda attacks by Cessna that would be enough to handle them. I would have thought that the USAF would be planning more along the lines of assuming that there is a sleeper agent in the RAF based somewhere in Wales who might try a suicide run in a Tornado or whatever they're flying, or similar by way of scheduled airline flight. I understand in either case that resources available to the DF would provide an ineffective defence barring a lucky shot (which can never be ruled out).

Dublinmick- support staff means that I depend on other people in the office working more or less (depending) under my direction to enable me to do my job properly. They support me, and without them things start falling to shit. Not at the top, but not at the bottom I suppose you could say.

Didn't see the report, but anything which makes the general public care a little more about the readiness of the DF is a good thing.
                              Take these men and women for your example.
                              Like them, remember that posterity can only
                              be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                              possession of those who have the
                              courage to defend it.
                              Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                              If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Working...
                              X