72 Hr. Ex.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 72 Hr. Ex.

Right, I'm going on a 72 hour excercise with the PDF (I'm RDF). This is followed by 3 or 4 days guard duty. Then by a week of camp.
    I need and advice on kit or step to make life easier. anything is appreciated.

The 72 hour is with the potential officers, all on the ground. Any advice on how to handle the potential officers also welcome.
    "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
    - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

If you are doing enemy,then you will live comfortably until you are required.
    I refuse to believe somebody who detailed/volunteered you for this job didnt give you some pointers what to bring?

Has IMO become the place for basic military training now?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goldie did you not know that this a referance site for all courses now?:D

Comment

It was kind of a 'spur of the moment' type of course. I was told bring all my kit, however helpful that is.
        I've got the common sence to bring all the usual kit that makes life easier. I'm just looking for a few extra pointers in case I missed something.
        "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"

Comment

Wetgear....

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Very relevant point actually as I wa asked to see if I could find the details of some exercise here as some of our head sheds are in the dark about it......

My only answer to that was ....if you want to find out log in!

Knowning full well that the info isn't here but I 'm sure if I made the right enquiries I could find out.

Didn't tell him that though! :D
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

Im doing the exercise aswell and Im sick to my back teeth of the RDF having to bloody shell out for every bit of kit yourself!! While I accept that I will have to buy the likes of a leatherman, mag light, etc. myself I just cant get to terms with forking out hundreds for a bergen when I know there some in stores. They've really just pushed me to my limits today!
              Anyway the exercise...bring poncho, tent pegs, bungees, sleeping bag, hexi/gas cooker, mess tin, KFS set, spare dry uniform, sweets, gloves, wooly/bush hat, camo cream, baby wipes, para cord, water bottles, mag light......hmmm will think of more later....

Comment

Any advice on how to handle the potential officers also welcome.
                Haze the bejaysus out of them.....

...bring poncho, tent pegs, bungees, sleeping bag, hexi/gas cooker, mess tin, KFS set, spare dry uniform, sweets, gloves, wooly/bush hat, camo cream, baby wipes, para cord, water bottles, mag light
                Hey Queenie, I'm glad you're not in charge of planing my gear list:D

Seriously, agree with most of what you wrote.

An excellent read on how the infantryman has become over-loaded with gear is SLA Marshall's "The Soldier's Load & the Mobility of a Nation"....Written after WW II but still a good read.
                "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Kermit:

1. Who said they werent on issue? He asked what to bring on the ground.

2. Bergens are also on issue "as required" until you want one that is... but if you can talk my CQ in to getting me one then Ill stand corrected.

Comment

It depends on whether you are part of the Pots officers platoon or just an enemy detail, if you're fillers in the students platoon be prepared for a long wet three days, you'll need spare jocks and socks a travel toothbrush and a shaving kit as well as thermals bike shorts.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

The only things in the above list I have EVER seen issued to RDF personnel (in my nearly 7 years service) is:

Poncho
                      Sleeping Bag
                      Spare dry uniform
                      Hexi

I really must transfer to the south / DFTC where they seem to get everything

Comment

I've never been issued tent pegs, bungees, KFS set, gloves, wooly/bush hat, camo cream, baby wipes, para cord or a mag light when ouyt on the ground. Maybe you lads in the east get issued all the gucci kit?

You will be issued whatever is absolutely essential - the rest of the stuff is extras that are very useful to have if you want to get the most out of being out on the ground. I reckon the most important things you can bring would be spare dry uniform as mentioned by DeV as well as dry socks and jocks. The 1st time I was out on the ground we were only out for about 16 hours and 1 lad didn't bother changing into a dry uniform as directed....about an hour or 2 later he nearly had hypothermia and this was in July.

Comment

I'd rather sleep in a lake than sleep in issue sleeping bags. They smell like arse and stick like a pair of wet boxers.

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
                            Hey Queenie, I'm glad you're not in charge of planing my gear list:D
                            Combatlogo: Missed your post when I was looking through earlier, whats wrong with my gear list? I know its pretty basic but I said it was unfinished.
                            Actually while on the subject. If you're looking for a good reference of what to bring out on the ground try and get your hands on the February 2004 issue of Connect.

Originally posted by kermit
                            poncho, now called basha, tent pegs, bungees, goretex bivi bag and sleeping bag are part of the issue sleeping system.
                            Kermit: Yeah in a perfect world maybe. On paper the RDF are probably getting everything, but in reality the majorety of us are getting sweet F.A. - thats the point we're trying to make!
                            Kermit (presuming you're RDF) can you HONESTLY say that you've been ISSUED with all of the above, and your Bergen and CIFO while we're on the subject????

Comment

Strangely any of the troops that acted as enemy on PDF exercises in the last two years got issued full CEMO (it had to be returned of course). Is someone trying to take a shortcut Queenie. (Bloody lazy CQs)

Comment

Working...
                              X