Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• After Recruit Training, what next??

Hey Guys,

It looks like I will be based in Meath or Dublin for my recruit training..after that where can I apply to after my training? Im based in Kildare so the nearer the better for me. Any good tips towhat my best options would be?

Also what Corps would be the best to get involved in?

Thanks,
    Christy

Have you ever thought of asking someone in the DF about this? This site is a not a career advice centre.
    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Thanks, em..for the useful information!!!

Comment

CHris
        you dont usually have a choice in your posting- Units are allocated so many reruits and even though the recruit is given a choice " ahem" the Unit will normally keep you- after all they trained you etc
        the Corps that trained you is the one you will stay with.
        It is hard getting transfers out of a unit at an early stage in your career ( except if your female )
        Dublin , Kildare and Meath are not that far apart
        best of luck
        HH

I dont know the original ethos of this site but I reckon we should be helping as many people to enlist in the Defence Forces as possible
        and if that means answering politely the same question over and over
        well so be it................
        Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
        Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
        The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
        The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
        The best lack all conviction, while the worst
        Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

I don’t know the original ethos of this site but I reckon we should be helping as many people to enlist in the Defence Forces as possible
          The problem there is that most people her post anonymously, so whoever is asking the questions has no way of being sure who's answering them. For all Chris knows, you could be some civvy or reservist with no first-hand knowledge of career progression in the DF.

When it comes to something as important as your career, you should seek help from experienced individuals you know & respect rather than complete strangers you occasionally talk to on the internet.
          "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

maybe your right , but maybe the most honest answer your going to get is from a complete stranger who has nothing to gain or lose by telling you the truth

woudl you tell your wife her arse looks big in something-

I have done countless recruit interviews where the "dregs of society " come in and waste my time- i love it when a lad comes in and I ask what do you know about the defence forces and next thing he is rattling of stuff- wow at least he had the cop on to pre study etc
            a bit like Chris
            most times When a interviewee comes before me and he says RDF / FCA etc- straight away i favour them over the clown in the track suit-
            the likes of this Forum should be used as a way of informing our own of what to except either in an interview or in the Job

if we can get a better calibre of interviewee it will lead to better recruits leading to better soldiers and a much happier me
            surely the last bit makes it all worthwhile

aside from that more recruits = ching ching for mingi's ( joke)

Comment

Look forward to seeing you in Gormanston in July Chris so!
              Live long and prosper!

Comment

They give every recruit the chance to pick three options of what corps / unit and then they will give the option of what location if there are multiple openings. You may not get your first choice but it's not that hard to get one of your options. The training unit will want to keep as many as possible though. If you want good promotion prospects, try Ordnance as most of their unit is made up of senior NCO's and officers with a few privates kept around for show.

Comment

I know that Ordnance would have their share of line soldiers in the Grn
                  Companies, but would it not be the case that a lot of their folks either come
                  through the Apprentice Scheme (e.g; as artificiers, technicians, etc.)?
                  Or come via folks who were in line units, and did a relevant course through the Army Trainee Scheme?

As for what Corps Chris would like to get into, well, depends on his interests...
                  A good consideration, especially these days, would be a Corps which would offer
                  something which would be of use in civvy land, if not making a lifetime career of
                  the DF.... e.g; Medics, Air Corps ATC, getting HGV licences via S & T Corps, etc.
                  Not knowing his interests, I wouldn't be qualified to offer a suggestion, but I'm
                  sure Chris will get back to us on that...
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

They give every recruit the chance to pick three options of what corps / unit and then they will give the option of what location if there are multiple openings.

they may give the option but you wont neccessarily get your first or second choice if its not the Unit that trained you-
                    sometimes a recruit platoon is formed with so many vacancies to ancillary units and the rest to the crowd training them
                    but thats very rare

go Infantry- pick a Dublin Unit- especially one on the South side

Comment

Rite lads just got my date to start recruit trainning (third time round BA-RM-PDF God help Imust be stupid:confused: )I'll be trainned in Dundalk so I presume that means I will stay their after trainning? I would like to stay Infantry and do as many foreign tours as possible. How often does this happen? Also what is the availability of courses ,I would like to attempt a sniper or recce leaders course (based on previous experience I think I would fare well). I have asked questions like this of them yet had very limited responses! Any advice/info would be appreciated....
                      Cheers lads, Matt....

Comment

Hey Guys, thanks for the help. For those of you who responded that is.

I havent got a notion really regarding what Im going to to do after training! I would however like to be near home, therefore I think somewhere like Rathmines would be my best option after training in Gormanstown.

Im currently working as a Fitness Instructor, but I think I would like to persue something different in the Defence Forces. You guys mentioned that it is likely that I may be kept in Gormanstown after my training, my question is how likely is is that I will be in fact kept in Gormanstown???

Applies very much appreciated,

Chris

Comment

Working...
                        X