Logistics

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Logistics

Can anyone enlighten me as to what would hypothetically be involved in an army reserve logistics course if they were to run one?? :-patriot:

???

Comment

i can guess why you are asking: its a logistics Q course.......ie. a Q course

Comment

this new logs/q course is not a career course in the sense of the old Senior NCOs Q or A courses, therefore its open to all ranks of NCO and the Admin course is also open to officers.

Comment

thanks guys

Comment

I heard a rumour recently,that in future,All Career courses within the RDF will be preceded by a Life test. Has anyone else heard or seen evidence of it? Personally I think it is a good idea,there is no better motivation to keep fit than the threat of non participation.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Logistics in the DF

[MOD: Thread Merge]

I was at a (civvy) logistics conference recently and a DF officer gave a very interesting if short presentation.

He stated that he was compressing the CSS element of the Command & Staff Course (27 hours in class plus 20 hours own time study, plus 4 hour exam (with a 60% pass rate)) into around 30 minutes. Obviously there wasn't much detail.

"The officer who doesn't know his supply as well as his tactics is totally useless" - Gen George S Patton.

"In war, logisticians determine who will win, then the operators go forth and make it offical" - Erwin Rommel

"For all of the above (operations) to be successful, a highly reliable and sustainable supply chain is vital and must remain uncorruptable in the most adverse conditions."

Note - Only around 97% of artillery (the biggest killed/maimer on the battlefield) and 90% of mortar rounds explode.

Comment

DF definition:
                Combat Service Support (basically logistics) is the means by which the soldiers and the equipment of the combat and combat support units are sustained through the functions of:
                - Manning, Arming, Fixing, Fuelling and Moving

Heres a bit for the "Q" staff:

Principles of Combat Service Support:
                - Foresight - If A & C happens what will I do and what happens B
                - Economy - Stretch resources to fit aim
                - Integration & Co-Operation
                - Continuity - always available when required
                - Responsiveness - When Plans A & B fail have Plan C ready

92% of US troops "hit" in Iraq get first aid & survive

Comment

Amateurs talk tactics, pros talk logistics...

Comment

Hi all
                    Seeing as you're going all statto, here's one from WW II.An American supply corps general stated: "such was the consumption, that after six weeks in the field, I had to cloth a million men as if they were naked". He was referring to the first six weeks after D-Day. Just reflect on the amount of stuff he had to get, move and distribute, in an area of intense combat, from an island nation, across the Channel, to that many men, given the notorious amount of theft, destruction and other wastage of supplies that was going on. Kinda puts a Q ranting about a 72-hr in the Glen in the shade, doesn't it?!
                    regards
                    GttC

Comment

There was a good book called "Moving Mountains" that dealt with GW1 logistics, written by the logs offr , Gen Gus Pagonis.
                      "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Originally posted by GoneToTheCanner View Post
                        Hi all
                        Seeing as you're going all statto, here's one from WW II.An American supply corps general stated: "such was the consumption, that after six weeks in the field, I had to cloth a million men as if they were naked". He was referring to the first six weeks after D-Day. Just reflect on the amount of stuff he had to get, move and distribute, in an area of intense combat, from an island nation, across the Channel, to that many men, given the notorious amount of theft, destruction and other wastage of supplies that was going on. Kinda puts a Q ranting about a 72-hr in the Glen in the shade, doesn't it?!
                        regards
                        GttC
                        Reminds of something I heard on discovery channe.
                        In the Pacific theatre in WWII the logs tail was so long that for every 1 frontline combat soldier there was 16 men on logs to support him.
                        Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Logistics

[MOD: Split from Steel Container thread]

Originally posted by Truck Driver View Post
                          Star gazing .... like it

No Logistics qualified people - you don't get moved from A to B
                          No Catering people - you don't get fed

- both important qualifications, as I'm sure you'll agree

As for complaining about transit to/from college - boo hoo....
                          Yeah, but it doesn't take a 4 year course in "logistics science" to teach someone to fill out a transport requisition (which transport officers should do on their YOs course anyway)

(yes I know I'm oversimplifing, but the point still stands)
                          Originally posted by hedgehog View Post
                          Is this the first ever Proposal on IMO
                          No comment.....

Comment

Actually the role of Logistics has become a highly specalised role in the DF

and I for one can say that Logisitics in the DF has come on 100000% in the years since

people started doing Logistics course in college

this is by way of an aside

in case people think I am getting my rocks of slagging loggies

its the geography students I reserve that for - NPI
                            Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                            Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                            The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                            The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                            The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                            Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Originally posted by Barry View Post
                              Yeah, but it doesn't take a 4 year course in "logistics science" to teach someone to fill out a transport requisition (which transport officers should do on their YOs course anyway)

(yes I know I'm oversimplifing, but the point still stands)

No comment.....
                              As the Hog says, Logs management has become increasingly important for any
                              organisation with a large fleet of vehicles - then again, I'm sure you already know that.
                              Not just a case of a one or two pipper putting a signature to a STAD ....
                              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                              X