RDF Reorg.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RDF Reorg.

Posted this to the news section as well (were it hasnt appeared, is news moderated before the post becomes visable?).

Excusing my ignorance on the Reserve Integration but was this press confrence/launch expected, I thought all that plans were already public?

Defence Forces Press Office, DFHQ, Infirmary Road, Dublin 7.

e-mail: pressofficer@defenceforces.iol.ie

Press Officer: Comdt. Brian Cleary: 01 8042687: 01 6771434; 087 2482130

Assistant PO: Capt. Seán Ó Fátharta: 01 8042686; 087 6738395

Date: Thursday 22 July 2004

HISTORIC REORGANISATION OF RESERVE DEFENCE FORCE

The Minister for Defence, Mr. Michael Smith, T.D. and the Chief of Staff of the Defence Forces, Lieutenant General Jim Sreenan, will announce a major restructuring and reorganisation of the Reserve Defence Force in Kickham Barracks, Clonmel on Monday 26th July 2004 at 2.30pm with the launch of the Reserve Defence Force Review Implementation Plan. This plan heralds a new era of increased responsibilities, cooperation, and training with the Permanent Defence Forces for the Army Reserve (formerly An Fórsa Cosanta Áitiúil) and the Naval Service Reserve (formerly An Slua Mhuirí).

In a major departure the Reserve Defence Forces will now have the same roles as the Permanent Defence Forces with some Reserve units integrated with Permanent Defence Forces units. Future tasks for the Reserve include participation in overseas missions and Aid to the Civil Power at home. The plan also outlines the renaming of Reserve units and reorganisation into a brigade format which will mirror the Permanent Defence Forces’ three brigade structure.

The launch will provide excellent photographic opportunities and members of the media are invited to attend. Transport to and from the launch is available for anyone who wishes to avail of it which will leave Defence Forces Headquarters, Infirmary Road, Dublin 7 at 1030 am on Monday 26th July. Anyone wishing to avail of the transport contact Captain Seán Ó Fátharta at the above numbers.

Launch of Reserve Defence Forces Review Implementation Plan

Day/Date: Monday 26 July 2004

Time: 2.15pm.

For further information please contact Captain Seán Ó Fátharta at the above numbers.

so its finally happening....anybody have more details on it??from what i hear i'm going to be serving with the 33rd infantry battalion
    What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Or the RDF training authority with DFTC

Comment

WOW!!!

only took about 3 years to move from the original whitepaper plans to actually announcing a plan has been signed and exists
        "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
        "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Price Waterhouse Report published 1998 (contained the major parts of RDF Reorg)
          White Paper on Defence published Feb 2000
          Special Report on RDF published Nov 2000
          Special Report on RDF accepted in principle Jan 2003
          Special Report on RDF signed ON MONDAY

Delay = 6 years + up to 10 years to implement

Comment

Believed when green berets are seen overseas
            Take these men and women for your example.
            Like them, remember that posterity can only
            be for the free; that freedom is the sure
            possession of those who have the
            courage to defend it.
            Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
            If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Dont you mean blue berets....
              If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

as gerry mcmahon told us many years ago

anyone going overseas will have black berets
                those who want to stay with the FCA as it was then keep the green ones

:p

Comment

as gerry mcmahon told us many years ago

anyone going overseas will have black berets
                  I resent that , should this not be a matter for RDFRA. What colour the soldier wears in neither here nor there, so whats the big hang up with the DF

Comment

It doesn't matter what damn colour their berets are

Let me rephrase that.

I will believe the re-org really means something when RDF personnell, excluding engineers, medical professionals & recent former PDF personnell, serve overseas in something other than a civilian role.

I will really believe it when those RDF personnell don't have to undergo four months of training before going overseas. This is, after all, roughly the same amount of training time a raw recruit in the British Army undergoes before going to Iraq.

I've been hearing about invisible FCA soldiers going out on the next tour since the summer of 1997.

So please excuse my cynicism.
                    Take these men and women for your example.
                    Like them, remember that posterity can only
                    be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                    possession of those who have the
                    courage to defend it.
                    Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                    If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

I was told it will be 6 months training and 6 months out there. Which is fair enough if they army wants to pay you your proper ranks :D

I think that 6 month training may well be only a one off, after one overseas you shouldnt have to go through that again. But then again, everyone will probably want to head overseas.

Its about time the RDF got a proper mission (with their own units and berets). The U.S fought both wars with reservists, and the brits had reservists in Iraq also. Remember that belfast lad that got picked up by the Iranians ?

Comment

Been looking forward to this news for some time - hopefully it'll come together in time (before were all too old to be a part of it!)

Comment

I`ll just so one thing, about bloody time.
                          Cant remember the name of my new unit, I thinks its the South East Munster Bn.
                          Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                          http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

I think its the 34th Bn thorpe. I'll be there tommrrow, cant wait!
                            Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Comment

Im going to be there as a member of the FCA/RDF as one of the representatives of my COY involved in the guard of honour and weapons displays, one or the other. plus it seems like there will be "invited dignatries and guests"
                              Assurance is credable and to be credable you'v got to show you can do it!!

Comment

Working...
                              X