No announcement yet.

Hassle in Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muinteoir, that signature is tongue in cheek and has been discussed before. Please try to keep up.

Gasplug, everyone is entitled to their opinion etc.

-------------------------------------------------------

The topic is Hassle in Uniform, lets deal with that here.

NB No name calling. You have been warned.

Comment

Yeah i had some skanger guy giving me a bit of hassle there about July or so.I was in my DPMs queing at the cash machine.Ignore these tracksuited minions of the undead.They are unrepresentative of the general population.Also ignore the crusty scum who say stuff 'cos its trendy at the moment.They will need us when the proverbial hits the fan
      Slayerfan

Comment

Originally posted by slayerfan
        Yeah i had some skanger guy giving me a bit of hassle there about July or so.I was in my DPMs queing at the cash machine.Ignore these tracksuited minions of the undead.They are unrepresentative of the general population.Also ignore the crusty scum who say stuff 'cos its trendy at the moment.They will need us when the proverbial hits the fan
        Slayerfan
        Hope u resisted the temptation to call him a skanger....
        "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

I've had the usual remarks from knackers in the street but I've been more surprised by the sheer amount of people who tell you they were in the fca back in the day...I had no idea there were so many out there. Most of them are very proud of what they did and they usually admire the dpm, although they will invariably tell stories of how their boots were shinier, how far they marched or that the .303 is better than the fn....nobody seems to know about the steyr yet. Has anyone noticed how a lot of foreign nationals tend to be wary of you if you're in uniform when you're on the street?
          "Attack your attic with a Steyr....as seen on the Late Late Show..."

Comment

Dont ever be ashamed of who you are!!! You should wear your uniform with pride. I have seen it said on this thread that you should avoide wearing it in public. B******T !!! You are a member of the Defence Forces of this country. You should have no fear of wearing your uniform in public. (I draw the line at Public houses)If you do encounter any attention from Di** Heads, my advice is to ignore them compeltely. Unless its unavoidable and they are intent on an arguement, in which case call the LAW. Let them deal with it. Never disgrace the uniform by getting into a row in public. NEVER! NEVER. Not worth it, and only causes a bad impression.
            Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
            Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

Well said.

It only takes one bad incident to ruin a good reputation, but 1000 good incidents to improve a bad one.

Comment

Originally posted by UniSol
                I have had a mixed reaction from the public while in uniform. I was approached by a man in Mac Donalds who said he had a list of people he wanted killed. I ignorned him at first but he produced the list from his pocket with names, addresses etc. It didnt take me long to find a Garda and told him the story. He found it unbelievable!

Was this in Rathmines? Was he a balding, middle-aged chap who kept going on about the 'red Chinese'?

If so I have had the misfortune of bumping into him a couple of times
                "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Was this in Rathmines? Was he a balding, middle-aged chap who kept going on about the 'red Chinese'?

If so I have had the misfortune of bumping into him a couple of times
                  Yes the Brugha sure has its fair share of nutters
                  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                  The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                  The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                  The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                  Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

The guy I'm talking about is a civvie, the basket cases in the Brugha are a whole different kettle of fish.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

the only bad experence ive had was a member of the PDF in civis asking me was i in the army. then he told me i was only a sandbag and started the yous do f*ck all, waste of money, etc.
                      i just laught at him and he was so pissed off as i drove away
                      The world steps aside to let any man pass if he knows where he is going

Comment

Don't be minding what anybody says to you when you're in uniform! be proud to be representing the defence forces! I haven't experienced anything bad while i was in uniform and i don't exactly live in the nicest of all areas,,getting abused, your just in the wrong place at the wrong time just hold the owl head up high!!
                        Cheers Bernard......

Comment

in Rathmines....Most of the hassle i got was drunken oul fellas asking for money and then telling me they are ex-pdf!
                          I think the uniform just makes most people think you are approachable.
                          I stopped wearing it going to barracks to save myself the grief.

Comment

Its a funny thing. Most PDF personell That I know, dont wear their uniform walking around the streets. If they are going home in a car, thats fine , but if they have to walk anywhere, they seem to have some unnatural aversion to being seen in the uniform that pays their wage. I could never understand this attitude, its almost as if...no wait it is, that they are embarresed to be seen in it. WHY? Do any other serving members of the PDF find some truth in this, or is it just where I work perhaps. The one thing I will have to say here, and some of you may not believe its me that said it(with my reputation), but I will say it none the less. The RDF far outclass the PDF, when it comes to being proud of the uniform. Now I know i will get some replies here from PDF, saying they have never had a problem wearing the unifrom in public, but in general the RDF are streets ahead of us on this issue.
                            There is almost a culture in some members of the PDF, of not acknowledgeing the FACT that they are in the Army. This seems to apply to the older members amongst us. When I say older i mean the ones with over 12 years service lets say. The younger ones arent tooo bad. But its almost as if the older hands find it embarresing to do anything that is soldierly. In fact these are some of the things you often here from them.
                            "F**k all to do with me"
                            "Go on ya warlord"
                            "THats too much like the Army"
                            "F**k that for a game of soldiers"
                            "Whos turn is it for tactics" (normally heard around the comcen, or transport yard)
                            "Do "I" have to get out of the car on cash"
                            And so on, and so on et al. Point is this . Why is it that some people dont believe that they are in the ARMY. Why do we have this culture of pretending that we dont really like the job of being a SOLDIER. That its too childlike to even pretend you ( like me ) F*****G LOVE THE JOB!
                            Just a thought. Dont know if I even made sense . But Its something I have always felt is there, since the day I joined(84). Cant figure it.
                            Last edited by herr flick; 25 September 2005, 13:31.
                            Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
                            Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

I'd agree with you. Many PDF personnel we've worked with seem to give off the attitude that they hate the job and anything soldierlike is to be avoided or scorned. I think it's really down to the same old same old routine that happens with most jobs. Having said that much of it is unnecessary and is just habit by now.

Also I'd imjagine that job satisfaction depends a lot on the person and what they choose to make of it (in any job, not just the army).
                              Last edited by Eddie Dillon; 25 September 2005, 20:18.
                              "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Bucket, I wear my uniform with priide, and I often go into Rathmines wearing it during the day,

I cant remember anyone ver saying anything to me, but if they did, WTF,

I pity the fool, the fool

I remember you had to get into No1's to leave the Bks in Uniform, to change your cheque etc
                                Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                                Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                                The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                                The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                                The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                                Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

Working...
                                X