No announcement yet.

Hassle in Uniform

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We used to have unit specific(CAM PAM and DIV PAM-campbell and bragg respectively) regulations over here against the wearing of BDUs off post when off duty, no shopping at WAL mart after COB etc, these were eased and eventually went away in the past few years.

Most towns aroound US bases CONUS are full of retirees, active and dependants so you'd never get any hassle.Unless youre looking like Joe Bob the ragman; a kid in my old company's mortar section was caught ,whilst flying back to bragg from post deployment leave in his class As (by a retired general) with an eyebrow ring and a goatee.The general recognized the unit flash on his beret and called some friends and very bad things happened to the poor boy.

Ive only wore my uniform a few times outside a garrison town once for a wedding and once for a funeral.Both times members of the public went to great lengths to show their appreciation for my service.
    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

I think it's different when you wear the uniform every day. Like on camp as soon as we finish training I'm usually the first one into civvies.

Still never had any problems in public wearing the uniform. Just get the usual "Are ye off to Iraq soon" or the "are you in the army" from small children. Then again, I live in an area where you wouln't expect to get hassle in uniform and people have great respect for it.

Comment

Iv only wore my uniform once on the street to go to the shop and I got GI-jane but no abuse I try avoid wearing the uniform in civvi street its only looking for attention

Comment

alot of these comments on this thread are coming from members of the rdf who have to wear their uniforms in public abetwwn 6 and 10 o'clock. i would think these times are the worst to be out in your uniform at. weekends as well[/QUOTE]

True When I was in the pdf My brother who is in the rdf used ta never under stand why I never wore My uniform home, But I cant understand why the rdf wear there uniform nearly all the time my brother does

Comment

i remember about ten years a request went to the barracks for a few bods to assist with the marshalling at the local festival [a bit of a pr thing for the local barracks} .
            so here i am doing my little bit for public relations,when two yanks come over to me a
            sking could the have a photo taken with me .
            So after the photo was taken they said to me "thanks for the photo ,we never met an IRA MAN BEFORE"
            Lets just say after i was finished with them the probobly wished they had never met me.
            looking back its funny now but true all the same.
            Last edited by sgtbilko; 1 November 2005, 23:00.

Comment

Originally posted by sgtbilko
              i remember about ten years a request went to the barracks for a few bods to assist with the marshalling at the local festival [a bit of a pr thing for the local barracks} .
              so here i am doing my little bit for public relations,when two yanks come over to me asking could the have a photo taken with me .
              And? What then.... ?

I can recall another incident when members of our unit were out in public in uniform (on a convoy exercise). Some American tourists came up looking for photos. No problem. Then the comment was made: "I didn't know you guys had female drivers in the Irish Army!"

Let's just say that Cpl X wasn't a very happy girl !!!
              "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Originally posted by Truck Driver
                And? What then.... ?

I can recall another incident when members of our unit were out in public in uniform (on a convoy exercise). Some American tourists came up looking for photos. No problem. Then the comment was made:

"I didn't know you guys had female drivers in the Irish Army !"

Let's just say that Cpl X wasn't a very happy girl !!!
                sorry about that truck driver but my little daughter wanted help me type and sent the mail

Comment

Erm if no one minds me askin, can someone explain to me what a free state bastard is?? I didn't get that one lol.
                  'Sciathán Fianóglach an Airm'

Comment

we all are
                    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
                    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
                    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
                    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
                    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
                    Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

People from the republic of Ireland or ''the free state'' are known as free state bastards.
                      Theirs not to make reply,
                      Theirs not to reason why,
                      Theirs but to do and die:
                      Into the valley of Death
                      Rode the six hundred.

The Charge of the Light Brigade

Comment

Originally posted by stameen soldier
                        Spot the "truth-streching" here...!
                        Hey im insulted by that statement, my uniform is never immaculate and you know it. That is of course if I wear it.
                        Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

Originally posted by Grasshopper
                          Iv only wore my uniform once on the street to go to the shop and I got GI-jane but no abuse I try avoid wearing the uniform in civvi street its only looking for attention
                          I travel to and from training in civvies where possible. Its easier than having to deal with (A) Limerick scumbags trying to start a fight
                          (B)Dublin Crusties trying to have a political discussion.
                          To be quite honest the knacks are easier to deal with.
                          Lifes a bitch, so be her pimp!

Comment

I think if ye were wearing a uniform all day every week, and going to and from work in same .........this discussion would not be takeing place. Reason-- you wouldent give a shit what people say. Heard it all before!!
                            Press Corp-"Say General the Folks back home would sure like to know where you got that pearl handled revolver?
                            Patton-" P-P- Pearl? ITS IVORY-only a cheap New Orleans Pimp would use a PEARL handled revolver

Comment

I only wear the uniform cos i don't get the time to change when i get to baracks. Last year when i trained in barracks i went in civies and changed there but thats cos time allowed. I get a taxi up these days to avoid the public ridicule. Who needs it. All i get now is a nosalgic conversation with an ex pdf/rdf taxi driver.(it seems most of them if cork are ex pdf. go figure).
                              Trouble, Trouble, I tried to chase trouble but its chasing me.
                              Trouble, trouble, trouble with a capitol T
                              do do do do do do do da do do do. etc etc......

Comment

ya always get that when in uniform in a taxi, or else my granda hassles me when he sees me in uniform and everytime i see him he starts off by saying
                                "I was in the irish speaking regiment" i do be like yeah ok!!
                                Cheers Bernard......

Comment

Working...
                                X