On Stag in Comfort!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On Stag in Comfort!

Have you ever went to different unit and found out how completly different they do things.
    Never experienced that more than at this years potential officers course. At one stage I was told by a student "you don't have to get out of your bivvy or sleeping bag to do stag, just stay awake". A more ridiculous example is of an officer who didn't know voice procedure properly. Should there not be some sort of enforcement into teaching things as per SOP? Is there and I just don't know?
    Last edited by Jimmy C; 3 August 2004, 08:05.
    "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
    - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

as long as your sleeping bag is in the firing bay
    Wasn't

Why should they? Why do you think there's a radio man in Platoon HQ?
    Then why was there 3 officers on my SINCGAR course?
    "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
    - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

as long as your sleeping bag is in the firing bay
      How could someone have their sleeping bag already in the sentry position ....are the other guys doing sentry before and after him just lying on top of him? What about wet and dry routine? Are you going to be on sentry duty in your sleeping bag in your wet gear?? (big NO-NO) or are you going to stay in your dry gear during sentry duty (why risk getting your dry gear soaked. ) I dunno, but I just don't think sentries fumbling around with their bivvi/sleeping bags when the harbour gets compromised is a good thing.

Does the Irish Army not teach proper voice procedure to all it's ranks??
      Last edited by Guest; 3 August 2004, 17:02.

Comment

It's damn near impossible to stay in the maggot and not fall asleep at 0330.

This is why I don't let my lads do it. Kip mat perhaps but even then.
        "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

I agree, especially when you've been on the ground for days on end you're gonna be drooling all over your weapon, eating some chilli gets the sense going though . Grab a ground matt, cut in it half and you've got 2 perfect size matts for sentry duty that the section can use.

Comment

the poncho liner is the perfect thing for sentry duty breaks up your outline and keeps you warm.:D I sprayed mine with some camp dry so its reasonably water resistant as well.
            When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
            All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

Bein slightly cold, as you will be after gettin out of your doss bag,cna be usefull as it keeps you alert and stops you falling asleep.I recommend a snugpack sleeka jacket under the smock.Warmer than a fleece,packs smaller and can be used as a pillow when in its stuff sack.The wing and royal marines get issued these.

Yes the pdf teaches all 2 stars comms and voice procedure.

Officers dont need to know voice procedure?Better tell the cadets in the mil.college.Only an noahs ark officer would make a comment like that.Would you like a private to shine your boots for you aswell?

Comment

The above comments are scary!
                Sentries are posted at the 3 points of the harbour 10,2 and 6yes? Then how could you possibly stay in your bivi and stag on? No realy ,how? As steve said how can you react when the harbour gets bumped and your stuck in your doss bag? Sentries are the eyes and ears of the sleeping section ,being wrapped in a bivvi bag would cut down your field of vision and hearing ,plus the damn things russel like hell with the slightest movement totaly unprofessional in a tactical harbour!
                Is voice procedure not taught to all PDF rcts.? What happens when they use the PRR (personal role radio)?
                Matt....

Comment

"Yes the pdf teaches all 2 stars comms and voice procedure."
                  Sorry Barry didnt see that! Observation skills eh?
                  :D Matt....

Comment

bivi bag and kip mat are usually reccomended I'd go for rain gear and kip mat personally, depends on the conditions, sometimes comfort will keep you awake more than discomfort.
                    "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Unfortunately matt the prr is only entering service with the pdf.At the moment the only units that have it are the wing,the overseas units,the apc coy in the dftc and the Armoured cav.sqdn in the dftc.Pity cos they are simple to use,light and inexpensive.:(

Comment

The comment about all ranks knowing voice procedure is spot on- it should be taught as part of the 2* syllabus. The problem of varying standards across units is a disgrace, and causes real problems when a poor unit has to run a course and the instructors haven’t a clue.

The solution is Depot courses for all promotion courses and some kind of development courses for NCOs.

However, before a NCO is allowed to instruct on a depot Cse he should be tested in what he is going to instruct on and all the scum weeded out. Common sense, I know but it doesn’t seem to be happening. Depot instructors should also be paid an allowance for this – it will encourage others to try harder.

The continuing development training for NCOs used to happen when we were the FCA. Back when common sense prevailed, it was understood that you cannot give a soldier 2 weeks training and expect them to perform satisfactorily as an NCO from that point until retirement without any revision training. Surely, a two week course every two or three years spent revising MOI, tactics etc would be worthwhile?

Comment

For our foreign readers I would like to point out that most of the contributors to this board are part-time reservists. Their comments about the training of the Permanent Defence Forces are not to be taken seriously
                          ________
                          Marijuana Dispensary
                          Last edited by Smithy; 9 March 2011, 13:51.

Comment

Originally posted by barry sheehan
                            Pity cos they are simple to use,light and inexpensive.:(
                            A P.R.R costs nearly 2000 euro per unit, I wouldn't call them inexpensive.
                            Death before Dishonour.

Comment

2000? I didn't know they were that expensive, but none the less invaluable at section level even though they're not 100% reliable. Even having 3 per section, scout ,i/c, 2i/c would be of benefit imo.

I agree Barry, the snugpaks are awesome, they're basically just a sleeping bag made into a jacket, perfect for sentry although if you have to do any phys with them on you'll be hanging out. I learned that on an extraction from an ambush with thermals + fleece + snugpak + running like a **** after getting contact on return to harbour. I was not a happy puppy! Lol, but damn i was warm during that ambush. :D Oh yeah, i love my snugpak alright, condense down to slighly larger than a can of beans too!

Oh yes and the way I see it the last thing i'd want to be on stag in harbour is comfortable. If you've been on anything longer than a 3 day exercise doing stag every night the ONLY thing you'll be worrying about is keeping awake as i'm sure some of the PDF guys will agree, and I wasn't joking about the eating chilli in my previous post either! lol.
                              Last edited by Guest; 16 August 2004, 07:59.

Comment

Working...
                              X