Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EagleEye
    Guest replied
    Its a interesting and valid point, one i have often pondered about being a member of the RDF. Yes in all fairness it doesn't seem likely that we would be invaded and even today if we were what good who the RDF be to the defence of the Nation, by the time we had been called up, activated and reported to HQ and got kitted out for war any modern army would have taken out all the major comms, airports, military HQ's, radar stn's and Naval vessels.

I think what will happen when the intergration goes ahead is an even smaller more dedicated, highly trained, better paid reservist. Forget the notion of an intergrated group and a reserve reserve. It will be downside big time. If you are thinking that the reserve is hardly ever used i'm quite sure some guy in the Gvernment is already way ahead of you.

That's the worst thing about being in the Reserve, it hard to give anything back to the state in real terms.

Although when you consider how much is spent on the reserve per year, we most be one of the greatest returns for money invested going. I once heard heard that the government spends more money on cleaners for government buildings than on the entire RDF in one year.

Leave a comment:

• ²°°³Soldier
    Guest started a topic Disband the FCA

Disband the FCA

I'd like to throw this discussion open to the members of the board.

The Irish government have no need for a reserve defence force. The reserve is hardly if ever used. The government spend lots of money on the reserve such as wages, gratuity and ammunition all of which would be better spent in other areas such as health, education etc.

For all the money that has been spent on the reserve what value for money have the government or the people of Ireland ever gotten back from the reserve defence force. They are never been used and more then likely never will. Let’s be honest what are the chances of Ireland ever being invaded by a hostile force? Almost none, so why keep them?

Would it not make better sense to invest the resources of the reserve defence force into the Civil Defence who are called upon on a regular basis and who do give back value for money.

I’ll probably get abused for even suggesting this but what the hell. Can someone provide a good argument for keeping the reserve defence force other then “we might be invaded some day”.
Working...
X