Promotion in the PDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Promotion in the PDF

What is the promotion in rank like for enlisted in the PDF these days?

I've been told that you can go for the Pots Cse a year after passing out as a private. But after that generally how does the promotion ladder work? Cpl to Sgt, Sgt to CQ and so on. If you were to be in the PDF for 10 years what is the highest enlisted rank you could make?
    As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

The quick answer is that it is entirely dependent on whereabouts in the country you are stationed, and in which unit you serve. Generally speaking, the best Bde is the east, best corps is the infantry and the best place to be is Dublin, as the units there are so understrength. Almost without exception, all who pass the NCOs' cse are promoted immediately, and most standards course students see the 3rd stripe within a year or two.

Comment

So within 4 years you could be a Sgt.?

I understand as well that it depends on a lot of factors and that there is no straight forward answer.
      As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

It depends on your performance and potential, for some ranks you have to spend time with the RDF to be promoted.

Comment

It depends on your performance and potential, for some ranks you have to spend time with the RDF to be promoted.
          For example?

You have to be in the RDF before the PDF, or the other way round?

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
            B****x.

Comment

I believe our confused young friend is referring to postings as cadre, it seems to be par for the course for Officers aiming to get past Comdt but I dont know if its an actual requirement.
              "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer
                So within 4 years you could be a Sgt.?

I understand as well that it depends on a lot of factors and that there is no straight forward answer.
                Not, likely: if you are promoted Cpl in your first year or two (it happens), you'll find yourself at the bottom of the list for Stds Courses. You'll be waiting a lot longer than a year for one.

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
                  PDF purgatory, with the Sunday soldiers?

Comment

After Sgt. you have to do the Senior NCO Cse, do you get that if the position arises or like the standards do the cse and wait for promotion?

I liked that short and sweet answer to Dev, well done parts.

Comment

You can go on a Pot NCO Cse straight after 2 star training. Getting nominated for a Standard NCO Cse depends on the vacancies for sergeant in your unit, your seniority and competency. Likewise for CS and CQMS.

I was 3 years a Pte, 12 a Cpl and hopefully 3 a Sergeant.:D
                      sigpic
                      Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
                      My favourite moment was when the
                      Originally posted by hedgehog
                      red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Were the rules changed recently, so that ability is now more important than seniority?

Comment

Seniority is no longer the determining factor, but it remains a factor. You find that ability has less to do with it than ambition; the more you want to get ahead, the less your "ability" matters. Anyway, with today's army, if someone says that soldier x is better or more able than sodier y, a redress usually would follow.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer
                            After Sgt. you have to do the Senior NCO Cse, do you get that if the position arises or like the standards do the cse and wait for promotion?
                            Same as the Stds, get in the queue and wait.

Comment

I'm sure there's a "who you know not what you know" element regarding promotion.

Comment

Working...
                              X