No announcement yet.

Promotion in the PDF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seniority is no longer the determining factor, but it remains a factor.

Interview boards are reluctant to overlook seniority because if they do they have to have a good reason for doing so. The only reason is lack of competency on the part of the overlooked candidate and he will find out due to the FOI Act.
    sigpic
    Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
    My favourite moment was when the
    red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

Originally posted by Groundhog
      Seniority is no longer the determining factor, but it remains a factor.

Interview boards are reluctant to overlook seniority because if they do they have to have a good reason for doing so. The only reason is lack of competency on the part of the overlooked candidate and he will find out due to the FOI Act.
      Not necessarily so, there are other factors: courses, qualifications, overseas experience etc (including performance at the interview). All these being equal, the senior man is entitled to get the job.

Comment

So would I be right in saying you would never see a BQ or a BSM in his/her 30's?
        As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Equalizer
          So would I be right in saying you would never see a BQ or a BSM in his/her 30's?
          I have seen an acting BSM in his/her 30s. It's possible, and the army is going in that direction, but it could be a while yet.

Comment

which was it, him or her?
            As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

Him.

Comment

In 1975 the newly appointed BSM in the 27BN was 27 years old, right man right place right time. He was still serving when I retired in 1999.

Comment

In the NS a WO(similar to BQ/BSM) will shortly retire having been at that position since 1981...

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Are there any female BQ/BSM's in the PDF?

Comment

Not necessarily so, there are other factors: courses, qualifications, overseas experience etc (including performance at the interview). All these being equal, the senior man is entitled to get the job.

Yes indeed all things BEING equal the senior man will get the job. But in your vast experience do you know of a case where a senior man was passed over for promotion in order that a more qualified man get the job?
                      sigpic

Comment

Are there any female BQ/BSM's in the PDF?

Not yet AFAIK. There are a few CS and CQs though.
                        sigpic

Comment

I heard there has only ever been around 10 officiers courses for sergeants since 1922.I take it it is next to impossible to get that promotion.

Comment

Its called a Potential officer course. True though,there has not been many. The NS had one a few years ago,but for the most part there are enough Cadets coming up to fill vacancies..some would say its top heavy.
                            On the other hand,most NCOs wouldnt want to be Officers.

Unless you are in the RDF of course

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

It seems rather unfair that soldiers with such exprience would not become officiers,but I guess it has always been that way.

Comment

It seems rather unfair that soldiers with such exprience would not become officiers,but I guess it has always been that way.
                                1. NEWSFLASH - life isn't fair.

2. Experience isn't necessarily a guarantee of a good officer- I've seen prior enlisted officers who were complete douche bags.

3. The roles and responsibilites of officers and senior NCO's are completely different - as you will find out if you make it to the PDF as one of the former.
                                "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Working...
                                X