Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The SAS were the first to use this new form of patrol in Iraq and Afganistan, because of the heavy resistance they encountered, people with RPG's and automatic weapons. In northern Ireland they knew four lads was just enough, and they had to change simply for the numbers of enemys they would encounter.

Also the rangers do get most of their tatics (as do most sf groups) from the SAS cause they are the first to develop them.
    It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Originally posted by Bam Bam
      The four man team worked well during the second world war and borneo. Now because of the recent conflicts in Iraq and Afganistan the SAS changed to a six man team for greater weight of fire and more manpower in patrols.

Its a good idea and glad to see the ARW follow suit.
      It's probably conveniant aswell, the vehicles they use have 3 man crew's so it's simpler then mixing and matching 4 man team's?

Comment

Didn't the tender for the new choppers for the ARW state 4 man teams in some way or another?

And will sombody plz tell me how they extracted the pilots in the deom (my orignal question)

Comment

Bam Bam-The SAS were the first to use this new form of patrol in Iraq and Afganistan, because of the heavy resistance they encountered, people with RPG's and automatic weapons. In northern Ireland they knew four lads was just enough, and they had to change simply for the numbers of enemys they would encounter.

ARW have been using 6 man patrols for many years now, originally developed by LRRPs in VN.

Comment

The Wing used 6 man sticks for the first time operationally in Eritrea. The SAS aren't always the ones to develop new tactics, they contribute a fair amount and they also learn from others.
            Death before Dishonour.

Comment

The Aussie SAS have been using five man teams for years.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Warlord - The Wing used 6 man sticks for the first time operationally in Eritrea.

Negative. 6 man patrols have been used for many years, including in east Timor.

Comment

ok, 6 men it is, now how did they get the pilot out?:confused:

Comment

I don't think going into that much detail is wise.
                    "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by FMolloy
                      I don't think going into that much detail is wise.
                      The details of a public demonstration?

Comment

It wasn't public per se, it was a demonstration for the families of AC personnel.

In any event, I don't think it prudent to be having detailed discussions on ARW tactics in a public forum.

Comment

And generally id agree but when its details of a demo that was held in public (the members of the board got in without problems and indicated that many others did as well) in plain sight of anybody outside the fence.

Family days are well known to include friends of the family and neighbours. There are photos of the demo on at least 2 websites. Detailing how many rangers make up a ranger team is probably worse (esp considering it was widely belived to be 4 before now, and I asked how many were involved in the demo not in general BTW). The rangers have taken reporters on tactical exercises before they dont do things in public that they dont want people to know about.

There is a big diferance between discussing a family day demo and things that we may see in on exercise or even while in barracks.

Anyway if thats your decision we most respect that maybe its time to lock it up before sombody answers the question.

Comment

All the info offered is freely available in the public domain already but if it's against forum policy, then why are these discussions (Esp concerning the ARW) allowed to continue?

Comment

I stand corrected, only dawned on me this morning that I should of said East Timor instead of Eritrea.
                              Death before Dishonour.

Comment

While on about this, why is it there is a Dail question time posted on the web, where minister Smith give's out the exact number of people in the ARW, isn't that classifed:confused:

Comment

Working...
                                X