Time to Declassify Manuals?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Declassify Manuals?

Do you think its time to declassify certain manuals? There is a shortage of manuals and there seems to be an allure about them.

There are some basic manuals every 3* or junior NCO should have, Foot drill, Styer, BAP and Bren for example.

Having looked through these there is very little information in them that is not available on the internet.

So what is the point in having them restricted, the US Army has declassified most of its manuals which are freely available or is there an interest from illegal organisations in the GreadaĆ­g Fuibh?
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Exactly, why should the right turn on the halt be classified?

Its foolish not to change it...
    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

They are not classified, they are restricted. Any thing to do with weapons, tactics and the like should be restricted. But there is no need to have map reading, foot drill, etc to be restricted.

Comment

The Steyr manual is already online, one of the 21st lads had it on his website. 21inifntary.com It was the manufacturers one. All the DF did was stick a cap badge on the cover and classify it...

Comment

Originally posted by DeV
          Any thing to do with weapons, tactics and the like should be restricted.
          Why? What is so different between our tactics and (the freely available)NATO standard tactics?
          You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

The Remtek (some american computer company who's site the thing was hosted on apparently) manual was a copy of that provided with commercial AUGs in the USA.

The official Steyr military manual is also available in a few places online.

Comment

I'd love to get those manuals. It would be great to be able to study weapon operations and I.A's at home instead of doing it once every two weeks.
              It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

Ask for a hand out, BamBam

There are different types of tactics (section attack, PSOs, ATCP). There are small differences in tactics from army to army, even with NATO standardisation.

Some manuals refer to the tactics the DF should adopt if Ireland were to be invaded, however unlikely that might be, I wouldn't like that in Cyberspace.

The manufacturer's manual is different to the DF one and the Remtek one.

Comment

We are not asking for those manulas to be de-classified, just the likes of foortdrill, arms drill, moi, map reading etc

Comment

Working...
                  X