Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barry
    replied
    One valid example: Say something happens to the gun control computers that calculate everything to do with laying artillery, and it has to be done by hand (old skool). It would help if the officers were aware of anyone with a degree in maths, or who got an A in applied maths in their Leaving, as they can ensure that they recieve training in the job prior to any such incident, rather than teaching everyone (including those who did nothing in maths class and don't know the difference between Cos and Sin) how to do it, or selecting someone at random to train.

Just something I've thought of in the past.....

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    If they put me into a job because there was a need then orders is orders.

I'm not responding here on impulse; I have actually thought about it and how I could make a contribution.

So, to come back on point the Skills Survey is a good thing [ IMHO ]

Slave labour ... no.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    I assume by joining the infantry you did it to do something different tohave a change from normal civilian life...lets face it what the infantry do there can be very few parralells in civvy street....
    Now if some body came along removed you from the infantry and put you into an office job would you be impressed....? I can't answer that but think about it please!

We all joined to be part of units that potentially will an active part of the army...some already are....and not to replicate our daytime jobs in civvy street and why should we ..we are multifunctional by the nature of the appointments we hold in both the RDF and the normal daytime life. Please recognise our flexibility and not tie us down to become camofalge d images of our day time selves.
    Yes the army want to use us to enhance the army but it might not be in the roles we joined up to fill.

Leave a comment:

• Pook
    Guest replied
    Correct trellheim I dont speak for you. Apologies if I implied that I spoke for anybody but myself.

If you or anybody wants to use their civilian skills in the reserve thats their call to volunteer those skills.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Pook said :

I agree with hptmurphy that we should not give our civilian skills to the army for nothing, nor do we want to be doing a job in the Reserve that is the same as our civilian job.

the second "we" is just you - you don't speak for me.

Nothing wrong with doing your job in the reserve too, if that's your thing.

If you want to do Infantry, that's fine too.

However, you'll go where you're told and do a job if the powers decide.

note: I don't do my civvy job in the reserve... I'm Infantry.

Leave a comment:

• Pook
    Guest replied
    I agree with hptmurphy that we should not give our civilian skills to the army for nothing, nor do we want to be doing a job in the Reserve that is the same as our civilian job.

My point is that if a reservist has demonstrated their ability to learn new skills and gain knowledge in their civvy life then it is an indication that they have the ability to learn new skills in the defence forces.

If you have two candidates for a position and both are equal in terms of their military skills and commitment to the reserve but one has also taken the time to learn new civvy skills then I think that it is a good indication that they will apply the same desire to learn and improve in their career in the reserve.

Having good civilian qualifications is no guarantee that a person will be a good soldier, but they should be taken into account when assessing the person.

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Only got the form you refer to tonight, Murph....
    Haven't had a good look at it yet....

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    helping each other out a local level is no the issue. The problem being the army wanting to slot people into nice little pigeon holes against their will. We all joined to serve but still retain the right to be treated for our military abilities and not slotted into some corner because the army feels that because you do x in civvy street you should you should automatically do it in army life.

Regarding the recce sergeants position ....if you feel you can do it ...go for it ! keeps you on your toes.

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    replied
    Depends.

Some people take the "I joined to serve" viewpoint. I'm one of them.

Whether on a platoon in attack or fixing a PC or driving a truck or whatever. Where could you do most good ?

Not everyone will get the recce platoon Sgt role.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    the contarcts come from the notion before any overseas deployment a reservist will be required to serve on a permanant basis for agiven amount of time in order to meet training schedules for overseas deployments. This would require a contarct of some description to formalise terms and conditions of employment with army for the required period. Also security of employment when on such deployment would have to be guaranteed ..again requiring a signed contract.

the whole concept of giving your civilian skills to the army free of charge is crazy. they get to fill a depleted talent pool free of charge while reducing the numbers in the PDF. If civilian qualification which have no bearing on military skills become a deciding factor a factor in promotions and courses well I fear for the future of the army.

A person whole holds a certain civilian qualification and occassionally dabbles in soldiering may not be the best choice for a position to a guy who puts his heart and soul into soldiering and is but a labourer in civvy street.

This will cause a greater gap in the class system that is already in place . Yes carry on with intergration but it should be decided purely on military qualifications and not because some guy has given a few years in college.

Most of the guys who I have spoken to about this will not offer their civilian qualifications to the army as the joined the reserve to get away from their every day job and not to continue it in another guise.

As was said famously...be careful for what you wish for ...you just might get it!

Leave a comment:

• Pook
    Guest replied
    "I feel that RDF members should look deeply into conforming to any further moves toward integration before commiting them selves to what is to be a very precarious temporary employment contract." hptmurphy

Im curious as to where the idea that Integration involves an employment contract came from. As I understand things any reservist who joins the integrated sub unit will only be making a commitment to give extra voluntary time, it is not a job. Am I wrong in this?

On the subject of completing the skills form, it might be to a persons advantage to show the Army how educated/skilled they actually are, it could be an indication of their ability to learn new skills/knowledge which could be an advantage when going for promotion.

Leave a comment:

• Parts
    Guest replied
    Irish Times sense of humour (?)...

I only just twigged, "escalation of the lift dispute..."
    Ho Ho Ho.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    replied
    scuse me but the army are not there to protect the cash ...they are there in ATCP...to mind the gardai...you can steal the money but cannot be acted upon by the army unless you threaten the gardai.......:D :D :D

Leave a comment:

• Come-quickly
    replied
    Originally posted by Goldie fish
    Are we the only country in the world where the army protects cash in transit?
    Turkey

Leave a comment:

• combatlogo
    replied
    Not sure about the cash transit, definitely the only one which carries shopping up flights of stairs!!!! Which genius thought that one up?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X