Service Medals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Service Medals

Anyone know the rules for wearing your medals when you have completed your term of service? E.G. when you are a civvie attending what types of functions or occasions?:confused:

Essentially you can wear your medals anytime you want as you are no longer subject to military laws and regulations. However the normal protocol is to wear them only at suitable occaisions, ususally something with a military them to it, for example:
    Rememberance day ceremonies.
    Deceased members ceremonies.
    Black tie dinners for either current or former units.

Comment

What's the story with family medals?
      Can they be passed down and worn?
      Last edited by gunmoney; 28 October 2004, 20:03.
      Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
      - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

Is your sons name Sylvest by any chance? :wink:

Comment

No

Comment

last time i checked you were only allowed wear your own medals on your uniform, not passed down ones. might be different in other armies

Comment

What's the story with family medals?
              Can they be passed down and worn?

No. Though I have seen a man on Paddy's Day wearing his father's Black and Tan medal. I alos recall a story about a lad in the 12th Bn who took the detail to wear all medals on the Bn OC's parade literally and wore his British Army service medalalong with the Irish ones.
              sigpic
              Say NO to violence against Women

Originally posted by hedgehog
              My favourite moment was when the
              Originally posted by hedgehog
              red headed old dear got a smack on her ginger head

Comment

That particular story is a little inaccurate. He was told to wear his medals at his passing out parade and replied that he would prefer not to do so. He may have worn them at other occasions later and if that is the case he would be doing so with full permission.

Comment

What is the procedure for getting service medals/bars to the service medal?
                  I'm specifically talking about the RDF Service Medal. I know the medal is after 7 yrs,
                  a bar after 12 yrs, and a 21 yr bar after 21 yrs. At the rate I'm going, I'll be getting
                  the "21" bar before I get the 12 yr one !!! I presume the procedure is that a form is submitted by HQ staff annually, applying for bars/medals... Just haven't seen it
                  happen so far in my present situation...
                  Last edited by Truck Driver; 18 December 2004, 23:59.
                  "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

That's a very good question. A "friend" of mine is still waiting on his 21 year bar after serving 26..maybe santa will surprise him.......

Comment

From what I was told the cadre staff/Q is to look at the lenght of service every 3 months and put in a request, for the medals/bars
                      But what more than likely is happening , is that they are getting them but the CO is not getting round to giving them out most Lt Col like to do this sort of stuff.
                      Do what I did ask your Q for them. Got medal and bar in one night both years over due. happy days!!!
                      Hour by hour resolve firmly, like a Roman and a man, to do what comes to hand with correct and natural dignity, and with humanity, independence, and justice. Allow your mind freedom from all other considerations. :wink:
                      - Marcus Aurelius-Roman Emperor A.D. 121-180

Comment

In the British Army you can wear relatives medals deceased brother/father/ uncle on the right breast.

Comment

"Friend", Joshua? (no reply expected)

Comment

Took me 14 years to get twelve year medal and bar...and was actually issued with second medal.....which is strange given the actaully service medals in the RDF are identical..and the apparent shortage of medals!
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

There is a different medal (sorry ribbon) for the 12 year.

Comment

Working...
                              X