X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sluggie
    replied
    Goldie, you are also sort of correct.

Service for the purpose of the issuing of service medals is calculated from the first of january each year. i.e. the clock starts ticking on Jan 1st of the year after you are attested.

Soldier A, attested on Dec 31st will qualify after 7 years and one day.

Soldier B, attested on jan 2nd will qualify after 7 years and 364 days.

Leave a comment:

• goc132
    replied
    The An Cosantoir a couple of years ago had photos of medal and the official wearing of the FCA/ASM Service Medal after 21 years is the 12 year ribbon with the two bars the senior bar with the numeral 21 on it is positioned above the 12 year bar.

Leave a comment:

• Goldie fish
    Tim Horgan

• Goldie fish
    replied
    Originally posted by kermit
    No. you have to serve 8 years to get a 7 year medal...
    This statement is sort of correct. On the completion of 7 years service you are eligible for your medal. This in effect is during your 8th year of service.

I Have served well over 7 years. 6 years 123 days with my original unit,and I have been with my present unit since 1999. No medal though.... :confused:

Leave a comment:

• Truck Driver
    Captain

• Truck Driver
    replied
    Originally posted by goc132
    The Reservist recieves a Service Madal after 7 years service,at twelve years the reservist recieves a 12 year bar and change of ribbon.After 21 years service the reservist recieves a second bar with 21 on it which is positioned above the 12 year bar.
    The present FCA/ASM service medal is soon to be obsolite as the inscription will not be correct for the New Army and Naval Reserves.
    I've been told that it's incorrect to wear both the 12 and 21 year bars on the
    medal ribbon, it's one or the other. Can anyone confirm this?
    Also, will the DF go handing out another round of medals? I doubt it, isn't
    the inscription to which you refer on the rear of the medal, GOC?

Leave a comment:

• goc132
    replied
    The Reservist recieves a Service Madal after 7 years service,at twelve years the reservist recieves a 12 year bar and change of ribbon.After 21 years service the reservist recieves a second bar with 21 on it which is positioned above the 12 year bar.
    The present FCA/ASM service medal is soon to be obsolite as the inscription will not be correct for the New Army and Naval Reserves.

Leave a comment:

• gunmoney
    Corporal

• gunmoney
    replied
    Just some thing I spotted
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...e=STRK:MEWA:IT

Leave a comment:

• trellheim
    Lord Chief Bottlewasher

• trellheim
    replied
    There is a manual governing this [ as with most things ]

medal returns are due from Unit HQ to higher by 1 April [ I think ] annually only.

Typical reasons for not getting a medal when entitled

1: sub-unit CS not being arsed [or doesn't know he/she has to ] to make the required return to Unit HQ
    2: Unit HQ not forwarding consolidated return to higher hq.

The former is much more common...

Leave a comment:

• FMolloy
    King Monkey

• FMolloy
    replied
    Once you've done the service you can put in for a medal. One company in my battalion was remarkably quick about getting medals for those entitled to them, they received their medals a couple of months after hitting the 7-year mark.

Leave a comment:

• lefty
    replied
    My cousin did just over 7 years and never got his medal. He subsequently emigrated to Australia but hell be coming back to live here again. Would there be any chance of him getting his medal? The paperwork should have gone through by now

Leave a comment:

• Soundpower
    Guest replied
    Just got my 7 year medal after nearly 12 years. Im grateful, it looks really well

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    yeah!I know that but the medals are interchangeable....so If I get two identical medals with interchangeableribbons how come some guys can't even get medals

By the way discovered the best way to set medals ribbons etc is superglue....no stitchmarks or seams!

Leave a comment:

• Bravo20
    Commander in Chief

• Bravo20
    replied
    There is a different medal (sorry ribbon) for the 12 year.

Leave a comment:

• hptmurphy
    Commander in Chief

• hptmurphy
    replied
    Took me 14 years to get twelve year medal and bar...and was actually issued with second medal.....which is strange given the actaully service medals in the RDF are identical..and the apparent shortage of medals!

Leave a comment:

• bulldemboots!
    Sergeant Major

• bulldemboots!
    replied
    "Friend", Joshua? (no reply expected)

Leave a comment:

• rod and serpent
    In Arduis Fidelis

• rod and serpent
    replied
    In the British Army you can wear relatives medals deceased brother/father/ uncle on the right breast.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X