No announcement yet.

First Aid on the ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I never said that was the extent of my training, lets not go jumping to conclusions or anything. I was just saying, we do all of our CPR training with CPR manicins. We carry out CPR training with BVM (Bag Valve Masks which are the face masks with the bag attached to it, for all those people who dont keep up-to-date with ER!) Normally this would be kept in an airway bag along with a list of other airway related medical equipment. I am simply saying that in the event that you dont have an airway bag you should as medics be able to carry out CPR by yourself.
    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Vent Aid

Just a small point Joker

Whats the point in keeping a vent aid in an airway bag if you are going to use the BVM anyway?

And remember there are almost no occasions when an EMT (is this your qual?) would do CPR on his/her own. as they always (not counting the Motorcycle EMTs but thats a different kettle of fish) work in pairs.

I actually keep my vent aid attached to my belt with a pair of gloves. I do carry a BVM but that is in the first aid kit which I can leave anywhere but still perform CPR without the FA kit which from which it appears you couldnt.

Shane

Comment

Well, we dont have vent aids in the airway bag, just the BVM. secondly, if a medic was out with a section, then more than likely he would be on his own.

Medics are thought how to do 1 person CPR first and then 2 person CPR.

People are only EMT's after they have completed the EMT course run by the Dublin Fire Brigade or Ambulance school in the Phoenix Park both of which take 6 full months.

The closest the RDF get is a 2 week ambulance course run by the medical school in the curragh. This qualifies you to work on an army amublance and use the A.E.D (Automatic External Defibrillator).

Comment

good god!

Oh good god!

You do not carry a vent aid for CPR????

Joker picture this scenario and remember it is not beyond the realms of possibility and almost happened at the weekend!

You are out and about on your own, as you mentioned could happen, you come across a soldier lying on the ground with no breathing, no pulse, You dont have a Vent Aid, do you perform CPR?

Remember a BVM can only really be used in a two person environment. Go out and get yourself a Vent Aid or a Merlin Pocket Mask (which can also be used in conjunction with the BVM) and stop implying that you dont need them.

Oh and another point you cant kill someone if they have a pulse when you are performing CPR (Go and update your training, that is the latest teaching!)

Shane

Comment

If I had no BVM or vent aid then I would still carry out CPR. But I would have to judge if I thought he was infected then no. But I would make a judgement call. We were trained to use a BVM by ourself as a 1 man team. the only difference is that you do over head CPR rather that from the side.

Comment

You really dont know what the vent aid is for do you

Its not so much for infection control as for stopping the patients puke going into your mouth and nose (and believe me cardiac patients do puke and WILL do it when you are giving them their two breaths.

As for doing a 1 man BVM drill, I dont think it is recommended as it wastes far too much time between picking up the bvm, checking its placement, giving two breaths etc. The recommended time for stopping compressions is 6 seconds MAX doing a 1 man BVM takes longer than that, whereas using a Vent Aid takes just under 6 seconds (for me anyway).

Shane

Comment

I have never come accross a vent aid in my career as medic in the RDF. I would tend to agree with you about the one man BVM drill, but its better to know how to do it by yourself rather that scratching your head should, if you were on your own.

Comment

Speaking strictly as a member of the Red Cross in Limerick, out on duties we carry both BVMs and Vent Aids but although it is desirable to carry Vent Aids everywhere with you, its not going to happen so plain mouth to mouth is what we base a lot of our CPR around, at least up until advanced, then more emphasis is placed on the use of BVMs etc,

Comment

Well thats one crowd I wont be contacting when organising a camp in the next while for scouts.

I always carry a vent aid even when not on duty, it is a very bad idea these days not to use one, If I am in a situation where I do not have any form of barrier mask device I will not perform CPR at all. Purely because the chances of my intervention making a difference weighed up against the risk to my self is not worth it.

YIS

Shane

Comment

The Gardai have been issued with those barrier yokies(after my time). That is whats contained in those wallet size pouches on their belt. One thing you have to admire the gardai for,They take the Hep risk very seriously.
                      I am not sure which one,it is a small sheet of plastic with a one way valve to be placed over the mouth.
                      The other one I have seen(but never used) is a contraption which holds the victims tongue forward,while protecting the user from backflush..

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Goldie

The Gardai are being 100% correct but tbh knowing the little time they have for training how many of them actually remember how to do CPR

on the other thing you mentioned, I dont recognise it from your description, is it something new? Its entirely possible that I have seen it but dont realise it

Shane

Comment

After reading all this I honestly believe anyone posting on a Medical/First aid topic should have to make public their qualification.

If someone just surfed in here they would get a very confusing picture of what is right and what is wrong and more importantly what is taught in the RDF (first aid wise)

I'm not going to get involved in this one, but some of the people posting really need to back over their first aid notes

Comment

Regarding me medic, Im just an intermediate 1st aider who was letting know the proceedures we've been trained in in the Red Cross. It is basically up to yourself what you do in a situation demanding the administration of CPR but speaking personally, if I came across such a situation without any vent aid,(and barring any visible signs of any disease or disorder around the mouth) I would administer mouth to mouth and attemt to keep that persons heart going until a AED arrived.I know I am risking myself and its not a clever thing to do but the alternative is to watch that person die whilst knowing that I had the training and ability to at least help him. Call me stupid but if thats the only thing I could do to help prevent a person dying well thats what I'd do. How about the rest of ye?

Comment

As I have said before, If there was a situation where a person needed CPR and I had no vent aid, bvm or anything which could be used as such I would not perform CPR as is my option as a trained First Aider. This will never change owing to the fact that CPR is proven to not be 100% effective and the realistic chance of CPR saving someones life is the wrong side of 50% for me to risk my life and health without a barrier mask of some form.

For the record I have performed CPR on someone, unfortunately they died (there was a lot of things against them from the word go) but I did have a vent aid then and so I did try. As they say you win some you lose some.

Shane

Comment

Here are my qualifications:
                                4 year experiance with an RDF Medical unit.
                                The ambulance skills course.
                                6 covering camps.

As I already said if I have no barrier or BVM, then I would do CPR.

Comment

Working...
                                X