First Aid on the ground.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In that spirit

Taking kermit's carefully considered tips a step further, here's an alternative guide to first aid.

:D
    Last edited by yellowjacket; 11 March 2003, 16:21.

Comment

he he

Kermits reply reminds me of a First Aid Course we did a while back when the instructor asked us what would we do if an epileptic had a fit in a bath, our snappy reply was pull th eplug his reply was "No you put your washing in and add some washing powder" followed by snap out of it dont take it so seriously!!!

We had answered as one all 20 of us bet that gave him a fright lol

Shane

Comment

Hope First Aid procedures have improved since the last time I saw a potentially serious injury. Some gobshite went head first over a wall during an ambush exercise at Kilbride, landing heavily on his shoulder. Luckily one of our number was a nurse, but unluckily (for the casualty) he was told to stand back by the PDF bod and let the guy who had done a course lasting a few weekends with the medics treat the casualty. Coz the nurse had n't done the army course, he could n't treat anybody despite his professional skills, fear of lawyers and all that.

Comment

I'll go one better, on a tactical exercise, someone jumped over a ditch, stumbled and landed on their weapon breaking their arm. No medic onsite with us either. Bungled the poor b**tard into a transit and brought him to the hospital closest to the barracks, not necessarily the closest hospital to where the incident occurred. A real money spinner for the incompetent individual involved as I recall.

Comment

first aid

Have to throw my tuppence worth in here. I spent a while (a good while) in the PDF. Since leaving I've become an EMT. Iwas a qualified medic (the full 10 week course, not the 5 day regimental course) in the PDF.

Couple of points to make
            1.Talk of what you should carry is all very well, if you know how to use the gear youre carrying.

2.From what I have seen of the RDF (and I'm not bashing "sandbags" here, I'm seriously considering going back into the reserve) it seems that the only people who take the whole first aid thing seriously is the medics.

3.As regards the incident where the nurse couldn't treat the guy who fell over a wall - RUBBISH. The nurse would have been the senior medical authority on the scene and therefore would have been covered. If I witness a heart attack in Superquinn, by the same logic I can't do anything because I haven't done a first aid course supplied by superquinn:p

Comment

Medic you are correct about medical training for RDF outside of medical units. It is non-existant. However the incident with regard to the nurse is something that would happen, it doesn't make sense but it makes army sense.

Comment

I think that there is a problem is that alot of people are not confident enough to treat people because they feel they may end up doing more harm that good and leave themselves open for legal prosecution. The attitude is "don't look at me leave it to the expert", this is all well and good if there is such a person is available. Although if I recall correctly one of the principles of first aid is that you cannot be prosecuted for trying to help someone in a first aid situation, I suppose in these days of "compo culture" people aren't willing to take the risk. In any instance of an accident you should at least weigh up the situation and get help.

Comment

Knowledge breads confidence

Comment

Just to clarify a point loque made. Technically you can be prosecuted for giving incorrect first aid.

The point to remember here is never try to do something medically outside your scope of training. If you haven't been trained to do open heart surgery in the field don't.

There is a consensus called the Good Samaritan Law. It's an American concept but is generally accepted here. In a nutshell it means you generally won't be prosecuted if you are trying to help someone. But, and keep this in mind- it isn't written in law.

Comment

First Aid Courses

Guys there is a few first aid courses listed in An Cosantoir so if you are interested in doing one grab a copy of it and go for the course. I dont know anything about them but noticed them last night and thought Id better mention it

Shane

Comment

Another scenario so.
                        On a grenade range. Something goes wrond and two people catch fragments.
                        The first has messy facial injuries, lots of blood, collapses, lying on the ground, semi-conscious.
                        The second caught shrapnel in the chest and legs. Still conscious and able to talk, but having difficulty breathing. Slumped against a wall in a sitting position. Not as much blood loss.

What now?

Comment

yea, its quite easy when you have the correct training. A quick point for yellow jacket, there is no point in having a vent aid or CPR shield in your first aid bag, because you have to know how to carry out CPR properly, medics are trained to do it without the vent aid, I you attempt to do CPR on somebody who has a pulse even a weak one, you will kill them. I know this for a fact because i am a medic. Just thought I would tell you before you went out and bought one!
                          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

The chst job should be checked for internal bleeding and pneumothorax, lie them on the bad side to make sure that fluid doesn't drain into the healthier lung, and unless theres someone very skilled about evacuated immediately (or you are a paramedic in US style), the facial injuries should be cleaned and dressed and sent to a surgeon to remove the shrapnel.

Joker I think your comments are more than a little condescending especially to Yellowjacket, everyone with even mediocre training has had the parameters for performing cardio-pulmonary resuscitation beaten into them.
                            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Vent Aids

Joker

I too am a Medic and we have never trained without the Vent Aid for several reasons but chief of which is infection prevention. I dont know where you trained but it certainly isnt in any First Aid Team/Medical Profession I would join!!!!

Anyway Im off to bed had a busy weekend with 6 people in hospital and what felt like 200 blisters!!!

Shane

Comment

Originally posted by The Joker
                                yea, its quite easy when you have the correct training. A quick point for yellow jacket, there is no point in having a vent aid or CPR shield in your first aid bag, because you have to know how to carry out CPR properly, medics are trained to do it without the vent aid, I you attempt to do CPR on somebody who has a pulse even a weak one, you will kill them. I know this for a fact because i am a medic. Just thought I would tell you before you went out and bought one!
                                Sorry, but if that's the extent of your knowledge or training, you have no business calling yourself a medic.

Comment

Working...
                                X