This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steyr Safety

In my unit we teach our recruits to be extremely vigilant of when it comes to safety when they are handling weapons. If I saw someone in my own unit picking up a weapon or handing over a weapon without carring out safety precautions I would hop of them! I thought that every other unit would be similar to us in this respect...... How wrong I was!

Last night 3 of us were training with another unit for a guard of honour. I was handed a rifle by one of the privates from the other unit and I promptly carried out safety precautions. To my horror everybody seemed shocked by this 'strange' action.
    I was corrected by their officer who informed me that safety precautions need not be carried out when handing a rifle over to someone else!!

Can someone tell me if this is standard practice in other units? or was this officer brain washed on some course that ridded him of all sense he had when he was an NCO?
    "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

standard practice in my unit is to carry out safety when handing over a rifle or accepting one from somebody else
    "Gentlemen, you can’t fight in here...this is the War Room!"

Comment

As per the manual, there is a set down procedure to be performed when handing a rifle from one person to the other. Without going into details, BOTH perform safety precautions. To do otherwise constitutes a fail grade if done during TOETs.

Comment

oh and he has 'HOPPED'!! beware those who dont follow safety procedures for your own sake and for the safety of those around you

Comment

Even if it wasn't standard practice (which it is to carry out SPs) you should never hop off someone for being over careful.

Comment

safety is always important, but sometimes it depends where you are. was this by any chance inside a holy place? if so it might seem strange to some. if not then no prob!

Comment

Originally posted by spiderman
              safety is always important, but sometimes it depends where you are. was this by any chance inside a holy place? if so it might seem strange to some. if not then no prob!
              Surely it would be proper to hand the weapon to someone before entering a church than doing your weapons issue inside.

Comment

Do churches allow weapons inside????
                "Hello, Good Evening and Bollocks..."

Roger Mellie

Comment

Originally posted by combatlogo
                  Do churches allow weapons inside????
                  During ceremonial occasions which usually occur during a Deceased Members of DF mass, or when a new flag is being blessed etc. Usually in the Barracks church.

Comment

Was in the guard compound during the PP Barry competition and witnessed some really disgraceful procedures by a certain infantry and the officer involved in the middle of it, lets just say collect 10 mars bar wrappers and collect you set of pips
                    Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
                    http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

NSP`s should always be carried out when giving or receiving a weapon.

Comment

Llorac, the Lieutenant in question told you to forget about sp's this one time as (a) we were in a church and (b) there were 16 people to 10 weapons. As we were all swopping in and out of the guard of honour the whole time, it made sense to forget about everyone carrying out sp's every time they got a rifle (which was on an avg every 4 or 5 mins). Apart from anything else the noise would have been awful in the church and it would have held up events for ages. We only had 45 mins remember.It was a once off, and made perfect sense to do it.Sp's are important of course, but once in a while exceptions are made to the rule.

[QUOTE=Llorrac]
                        Last night 3 of us were training with another unit for a guard of honour. I was handed a rifle by one of the privates from the other unit and I promptly carried out safety precautions. To my horror everybody seemed shocked by this 'strange' action.
                        I was corrected by their officer who informed me that safety precautions need not be carried out when handing a rifle over to someone else!!
                        QUOTE]

Everbody was not shocked Llorac, you're making us out to be a load of fairies or something.And the officer told you to forget about safetys just for now, nothing was said about not needing to do it EVER when handing a rifle over. The amount of times we get it drilled into us to always carry them out when receiving a weapon is much the same as ye id imagine.You are not wrong in thinking other units are the same as ye, at least the unit you refer to is.Don't take it personally what he said to you
                        "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

It doesn't matter who had the weapon before you or how many times they've been swapped over, the ONLY way of knowing a weapon is safe is to carry out safety precautions yourself. There's no exceptions. There's no time safety can be forgotten about!

I don't mean any offence to the unit involved. But the officer was wrong.
                          "I'm like Bush, I see the world more like checkers than chess." - Dennis Miller

Comment

Everyone knows firearm accidents can't happen in a church...

Comment

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS

No exceptions.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Working...
                              X