Quick question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick question

How many men and women currently serve in the Irish military? If possible, I would also like to know the estimated current number of Rangers, but I uderstand that that may be impossible, akin to asking an American how many people are in Delta Force.

If you haven't guessed, I am one of those despicable Yanks that is obsessed with their Irish heritage. Anyways, any answer would be appreciated, this is for a debate with a friend, who argues the Dutch army is bigger and participates in peacekeeping more. Don't ask.
    Last edited by Guest; 1 November 2004, 06:00.

The current strength of the regualrs is about 8,000-9,000 (I may be wrong as I cannt remember where I heard that figure) and the current strength of the ARW is 100+.

Ranger strenth is fairly regualrly mentioned in news articles about them so its not really sensetive info.
    Last edited by Muzzle; 1 November 2004, 07:17.

Comment

Okay, thank you very much.

Comment

ehhh?

The first is covered by OPSECas all ascribe to e.g. "All Hail the Mightly Mods!"
        Second, Delta/SFOD-D is supposed to be about 300-400 strong, why the mystery?
        Thirdly, Royal Dutch Army IS bigger, substantially so.
        Their contribution to peacekeeping can however be viewed in numerical, or qualitative terms..........

Comment

When I said Delta Force, I meant when it was a while ago.

As you may have guessed, I am not a military person. I have little education about the armies of the world, and now I'm trying to change that.

Sorry for the dumbassness.

Comment

I think Globalsecurity.org or something like that will provide you with much of the information you are looking for.

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Spooky,

OPSEC covers details of DF deployments, operational & training info. It does not cover the size of the DF, that's in the public realm & has been given in the Dail, in the press & from the DF press office. Smartarse.

Doyle,

No need for apologies, if you don't ask you won't learn. Don't feel hesitant to ask further questions.
              "The dolphins were monkeys that didn't like the land, walked back to the water, went back from the sand."

Comment

Originally posted by Doyle
                How many men and women currently serve in the Irish military? If possible, I would also like to know the estimated current number of Rangers,
                The figure is a maximum of 10,500 PDF personnel with an additional 250 recruits training. This is the whole DF including NS, AC and Army.
                The RDF Figure is 15,000

However actual figures are
                Broken down (2003)
                RDF 13,532 (Yeah right !!!)
                NS 1,056
                AC 903
                DFTC 1,576
                No.4 Western Bde 2,277
                No.2 Eastern Bde 2,398
                No.1 Southern Bde 2,007

Info at military.ie or

Comment

Well, yes the Dutch are a bigger army, but in regards to peacekeeping the Irish are the sixth largest contributer of troops to the UN. Not Bad for such a small force.

Comment

The 250 in training were got rid of last year.

Comment

The last UN report in September 2004 placed Ireland 24th actually (including Gardai), at least by number currently deployed, unless you are talking about totals who have completed tours of duties.

Comment

Doyle, Im afraid you'll have to admit to your friend that the dutch are a military powerhouse compared to us...
                        We do our best all things being equal and have a pretty good rep among foreign militaries.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
                          and have a pretty good rep among foreign militaries.
                          That unfortunately is an illusion. Most European soldiers do not even know we have a military and less know anything about it (You could probably say the same about Irish civvies). In the UN we have a good rep but that is it.

Comment

For a start, you think that the Swedes dont know who we are? The Americans, the Dutch, the Finnish.

We are known to armies if not every individual in an army.
                            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

That my friend is a British website.... it is a bit difficult for them not to know about us since many of them served in NI.

My opinion comes from meeting US, French, Belgian, Dutch, German, Luxembourg, Brit, Norwegian, Swedish and Finnish troops (I get around). I recently spent a week with more Dutch and German troops. The Germans especially knew nothing about the Irish military. Except for the Brits, NONE (Not one) knew anything about the Irish army (admittedly few were officers). A few didn't know we had an army but assumed we had (since just about everyone has an army).

Unlike the irish army where everyone goes overseas, most other countries soldiers rarely get a chance to participate in UN missions. This is where Irish troops are most visible. The Irish army is so small that 1000 UN troops is a major chunk of the Army. 1000 UN troops is a drop in the ocean for the US.

Comment

Working...
                              X