Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

To Finger or not to finger, that is the question....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Finger or not to finger, that is the question....

[MOD: Thread split from "Steyr Safety."]

eh I have my own rifle and I'm only a bag....another point to note which suprised me...NCO puts finger in chamber and feels around........not in this life time..what happens if something should fail....tip of finger will travel the length of the barrel...never say never!

Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Worst that could happen is the bolt going forward and crunching the fingy a bit. If there was a round chambered it would be immediately Identifiable as soon as your pinky enters the ejector port. If there was a failure to fire malfunction your finger will protect the primer from the pin.Or so the story goes.
    When I breeze into that city, people gonna stoop and bow.
    All them women gonna make me, teach 'em what they don't know how

Comment

The finger in the chamber was a thing with the FN, "Screw-do-for -Airm" (not the Irish - but it prononced that way), it was a drill movement, but i can't recall seeing it in the manual.

Comment

Another story from a camp, an officer was talking to his/her recruit plantoon and was reinforcing the point of safety precautions and when it was to be done. He/she then went on to say that to ensure that the chamber was that they insert there small fingure into the chamber to check for obstructions (something that we told them not to do, insert there fingure that is) and sure enough the next time they got there rifle in went all the fingures to our shock. It took just a little quite talk with them on the side to cease this practice and a small demonstration not using human parts. Point reinforced on our behalf.
        Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

"Where there is no guidance the people fall, but in abundance of counselors there is victory" Proverbs 11-14
        http://munsterfireandrescue.com

Comment

In the case of the steyr, It is a lot easier to remove the barrel and check the chamber than with the M-16.

Comment

The finger in the chamber was a thing with the FN, "Screw-do-for -Airm" (not the Irish - but it prononced that way), it was a drill movement, but i can't recall seeing it in the manual
            It's Scrúdaigh Airm. This command was in use with the .303, and like you, I can't recall it in the FN arms drill manual either. Could well have come
            across from .303 drill.

Another story from a camp, an officer was talking to his/her recruit platoon and was reinforcing the point of safety precautions and when it was to be done. He/she then went on to say that to ensure that the chamber was that they insert there small fingrer into the chamber to check for obstructions (something that we told them not to do, insert there fingure that is) and sure enough the next time they got there rifle in went all the fingres to our shock. It took just a little quite talk with them on the side to cease this practice and a small demonstration not using human parts. Point reinforced on our behalf
            Yes, Thorpe, we too got a graphic demonstration of same with a pencil substituting
            for the unlucky finger as the action went forward. Needless to say, as the more
            junior of us stared at the remains of the pencil on the ground, our minds were
            instantly focussed on the folly of the practice of inserting fingers into the breeches
            of weapons in this way...
            "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

With the Lee enfield and Gustav SMG,the thumb was inserted into the breech so the Officer mounting could inspect the barrel. However the Gustav had a very definite safety slot,and the 303 had no strong spring to send the bolt forward. No fingers went into the open breech of the FN.(even at that it still had the capability of drawing blood,frequently)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Don't I know it....
                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

The demonstration of a pen with the Bren is also useful for illustrating to a class why not to put your fingers underneath the weapon. Although I've "never" seen it happen.

Comment

"It's Scrúdaigh Airm. This command was in use with the .303, and like you, I can't recall it in the FN arms drill manual either. Could well have come
                    across from .303 drill."
                    It was in the FN arms drill manual, I recall giving the lesson on an NCOs' cse.

Comment

Must check it out again.......

Comment

Worst that could happen is the bolt going forward and crunching the fingy a bit
                        It happened on my first annual camp. We were explicitly told not to put our fingers in there but theres always one...
                        Anyway all that happened was a sore finger, made worse by him flailing his hand.
                        "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                        - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

jesus,

i've seena thread go off on a tangent but this is rediculous,

keep safe.

[MOD: Sorry must have dozed off... ]

Comment

Iif some muppet wants to post putting finger in chamber then he must be advised of the results...easy knowing that the US never used rifles like the FN or smgs like the Gustav....allright so they were used covertly in the Nam...but it takes a real man to use them overtly.
                            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

pure madness to put your pinkys in a weapon ,madness i tell you
                              "take a look to the sky right before you die, its the last time you will"

Comment

Working...
                              X