Marksmans Badge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kermit
    A pistol is the personal weapon of an Infantry Officer. An LMG/GPMG is the personal weapon of a 1 FSG. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?
    A pistol is the personal weapon of a Lt Colonel and higher (As far as I remember). From 2Lt to Comdt, the personal weapon (except on duty) is a Steyr.

Comment

HH,
      Did you ever qualify on the M59 ?

I got my marksman badge for that back in old god's time :-)
      " People, we are Leaving !!"

Comment

Originally posted by kermit
        A pistol is ther personal weapon of an Infantry Officer. An LMG/GPMG is the personal weapon of a 1 FSG. Are you sure you know what you are talking about?

If the LMG/GPMG is th epersonal weapon of a 1FSG, why don't you see more GPMGs on duty? Does the FSG not have to do guard then? Well?

Are you sure you know what you are talking about... again?

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

Originally posted by 84Mac View Post
          HH,
          Did you ever qualify on the M59 ?

I got my marksman badge for that back in old god's time :-)
          and a lovely big meal afterwards

but sometimes you might be missing an eye brow or two
          Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
          Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
          The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere***
          The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
          The best lack all conviction, while the worst
          Are full of passionate intensity.

Comment

M59 was avery precarious weapon..I thinK a DSm was more applicable than a marks mans badge.

yes kermit I'm sure as machine guns are support weapons....and before you can use support weapons you've got to qualify on rifles..

As I've already said many times on various issues...primary role of every soldier is rifleman..everybody has to qualify...even the signals..the naval service.....no exceptions even medic learnt to use the weapon as recruits.

thanks Docman for the confirmation
            Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

me thinks people been watching too many marine corps films with all the every soldier is a rifleman craic.

Comment

The current system allows for marksman badges to be awarded for all the small arms. Hint: If you look up the table and it says xx points is a pass and xx points is a marksman, then a marksman badge can be awarded.

Comment

A Marksman Badge can be awarded in Any qualifying table, bar recruit practices, where there is a Marksman Score specified, Once got HPS on a night shoot, But no Badge because there's no Marksman awarded for it..
                  In a case where the Soldier acheives the Required score, I think this is about 80-85% of HPS up. Does not matter whether you pass the rifle or not. You can earn it on Rifle, Pistol and LMG. You can get it on all 3, but there is no extra badge or subsequent award marking.

In the case of the All Army Badge, subsequent awards are denoted by a silver numeral (as medals/ribbons are marked)
                  Friends Come and Go, but Enemies accumulate!!

Comment

If you don't pass the rifle you can't be graded to fire any of the other weapons i.e. Bren GPMG or BAP.

Pass as qualify to shoot..as in pass TOETS...be technically competent to be able to fire a rifle.

The all rifleman is actually the indoctrination thought at recruit level....try doing it sometime and learning the concept of what an infantry based army is about.

Was there a qualifier that the HPS or closest possible had to be maintained over two consecutive shoots to qualify for the badge?.Ididn't think you would qualify for the badge after a single shoot.

I think this might have been discussed in another thread in the past,

"On achieving the required score in an APWT, the result is recorded in ROs, and the shooter presented with a number of badges at a formal parade. The duration of wear is one year from date of achievement. Nothing more.
                    You do not get to continue wearing it more than one year without continually achieving marksman score."

This was what I was looking for so I have answered my own question.
                    Last edited by hptmurphy; 21 May 2007, 10:03.
                    Covid 19 is not over ....it's still very real..Hand Hygiene, Social Distancing and Masks.. keep safe

Comment

At recruit level if you do not pass the rifle you do not progress so therefore you are correct you do not fire another weapon and for 2-3 star you have to pass LMG/GPMG (your rifle score is irrelevant). For subsequent you can fire each weapon alternative years.

Comment

Surely there's some official reference relating to this topic. Just seems like a load of bullsh1t and bo.llox being spread here.
                        As for accuracy, presumably the missile carries MRVs with terminal phase sensors and guidance.

Comment

Yes, there is.

First there is the syllabi for 2star and 3 star training.

Then there is the manual of range practices together with ammending training instructions.

There is probably an admin instuction about the badge itself.

Comment

DFR A9 Sets out that there will be A Badge, no Idea which Admin Instruction actually specifies the dimensions / Design of it, and probably another Admin Instr for when/why it is awarded. Probably since 1963 when the new Badge was introduced with the new rank markings.

I seem to remember a year ago Murph going on about 3/31 cav not wearing the badge till they'd at least won the all army or something rediculous like that.

Fact of the matter is... If you get a Marksman Score on a qualifying range table in WHATEVER weapon, You go through the process of RO's/Clothing form/Stores and get your Badge, If your lucky enough to get all this done relatively painlessly, You can wear it until the corresponding RO the Year after, (i.e if your posted as Marksman on 16-07 you stop wearing it in 16-08) If you don't get Marksman again, you take it down.

Originally posted by The_Equalizer
                            Surely there's some official reference relating to this topic. Just seems like a load of bullsh1t and bo.llox being spread here.
                            Why all the fuss?? Its a Qualification thats open to the reserve, Unlike Combat Diver / Sniper / and to a certain Extent (Dare I say it) Parachute wings, With the Current Standard of marksmanship within the Reserve maybe having a badge thats worth aspiring to will inspire some of those less better shots to improve.

Of course, it Could be just the old Boyscour Syndrome of
                            "I've Got More Badges than you!!"
                            Last edited by Bailer; 22 May 2007, 09:04.

Comment

"I seem to remember a year ago Murph going on about 3/31 cav not wearing the badge till they'd at least won the all army or something rediculous like that"

It was in jest pointing out while the rest of the RDF seem to be harping on about marksmans badges..they rarely seem to be able to run and hit falling plates in a team type competition..which is closer to having to be able to shoot under preasure rather than relaxing , taking your ease and having your scores indicated..I would equate that to be a far greater qualification of a good marks man than some poxy patch which you lie down to fire at a four foot sqaure target once a year...and its also a team effort....

So the bullshit and bollocks is relavent to those who don't hold competition titles at brigade and all army level and are happy to sit at home sewing on little ****ing badges.

You'll find very few of those who compete..winners or not..who are quite good shots and could show some of the alledged marksmen how to shoot. spend very little time sitting at home sewing badges on to their uniforms.
                              Last edited by hptmurphy; 22 May 2007, 12:56.

Comment

I've shot Bn, Bde and All army in The Plates as a Pte. Commanded a Team in Bn Bde and All Army as a Cpl. and Competed in the Rifle (4th year in a Row this year). So I know all about competing.. Strangely Enough I very Rarely do as well in the Competitions compared to APWT's.

Having Qualifed marksmen, and "Master" Coaches as proposed does a lot more for the Standard of Marksmanship in the force as a whole, than the Same 6 Bods Picked every year to practice, practice, practice just so the CO can have Bragging rights and you can have piece of Cavan Crystal for the misses to look at. Personally I've a pain in my hole with Dusting them and there's no room on the mantlepiece.

Comment

Working...
                                X