No announcement yet.

FCA/Army Reserve Re-0rg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Numbers are changing as are company names.
    7th Bat B Coy for instance becomes 65th Bat A Coy

7th A Coy becomes 65th HQ Coy.

Its for the reserve as a whole. every unit (infantry anyway) will be renamed and re organised appropriatley.

Also the majority of reservists will not have the opportunity to serve overseas until 2009.
    "He is an enemy officer taken in battle and entitled to fair treatment."
    "No, sir. He's a sergeant, and they don't deserve no respect at all, sir. I should know. They're cunning and artful, if they're any good. I wouldn't mind if he was an officer, sir. But sergeants are clever."

Comment

Questions:

1: What will re-org mean for new recruits? Centralised training, then dispersal to units, or will system of in unit training be continued?

2: Will this differ for integrated/non-integrated reserve?

3: Will the integrated reserve be formed solely out of existing members, or will it be possible to apply to join the Integrated Army Reserve as a civilian?

4: Is there any mention of joining as an officer (as opposed to networking your rise through the ranks)

I ask because I am hoping that meaningful reform will take place in the next decade (before I hit 35) at which time I will be joining as an aged recruit. (And starting FCA recruit training for the forth time. sigh.)
      Take these men and women for your example.
      Like them, remember that posterity can only
      be for the free; that freedom is the sure
      possession of those who have the
      courage to defend it.
      Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
      If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

So which units exactly are integrating?
        "Never believe anything in politics until it has been officially denied."

Otto Von Bismark

Comment

Originally posted by aeropixie
          as for us all going on camp together, we had our first joint annual camp this year. and as usual less than expected turned up so i dont see this as a huge problem
          There was the better part of two coys on that camp. The place could not have held much more.
          "Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them." - Franklin D. Roosevelt

Comment

One good thing to come out of this whole integration is many units will move away from doing camps in small unsuitable locations such as in the south,Lahinch and Tralee,and move to more centralised Facilities,such as Kilworth. I understand Bere Island is gaining extra accomodation too. A Logistical "challenge" perhaps,but still an excellent location for training,out of the public eye.(Any RDF unit intending to train there must become semi amphibious)

Catch-22 says they have a right to do anything we can't stop them from doing.

Comment

One would hope that people needed to fill positions in the integrated units would be taken from the non-integrated units. Other wise what incentive do the non-integrated units have?
              If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

Originally posted by JAG
                Questions:

1: What will re-org mean for new recruits? Centralised training, then dispersal to units, or will system of in unit training be continued?
                Present system will stay for the short term (next 3-4 years at least)

2: Will this differ for integrated/non-integrated reserve?
                No

3: Will the integrated reserve be formed solely out of existing members, or will it be possible to apply to join the Integrated Army Reserve as a civilian?
                Existing members only

4: Is there any mention of joining as an officer (as opposed to networking your rise through the ranks)
                No mention, with the units reduced in size I think the organisation may be a bit top heavy with officers/ snco's for a while
                You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

"Other wise what incentive do the non-integrated units have?"

Joker, my own view is that the Integrated Reserve should be an entirely new organisation, with the FCA being left to wither. Give opportunity to train to equivalents standards required for new force, but don't just install them.

Otherwise it's same shit, different name.
                  Take these men and women for your example.
                  Like them, remember that posterity can only
                  be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                  possession of those who have the
                  courage to defend it.
                  Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                  If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

Well Jag if I was to believe that what would be the point in even trying?
                    If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

The integrated will be formed from pre selected troops of 3* or higher. Non-intergrated troops of 3* or higher can apply to become integrated.

You must join non-intergrates before intergrate's
                      It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

I was told in our unit at a meeting that there will be up to 70% cut come October next and we have a year to get rid of our dead wood in that year.

But there will be recruiting next june. :confused:
                        for more on christy moore. www.liambyrne.com great performance. City 10-0 UTD

'I have heard him of the Ireland he wished to see. When he struck the spark on the anvil, he struck the anvil in my heart. When I leave school, the only pursuit I want to engage in is the winning of the freedom of my country'.

Comment

Going on from what kermit has said:

the most likely people to be effected are SNCOs and officers, depending on the units Junior NCOs may also be effected.

But remember, the new Infantry Battalions will have 5 Companies (HQ, Support and 3 Rifle Coys), plus 1 Company (eventually) as part of integrated element. There may also be opportunities for personnel in Brigade HQ, the Camp Staffs within the Logistics Battalion and the Brigade Training Cells.

According to the DF Annual Report 2003 the strength of the RDF was 13532 (questionable in know). The RDF Implementation Plan outlines that the size of the force will be 11948, that a 12% decrease in size.

As far as I can see, there are no terms in the CURRENT DFR R.5 that allows for the demotion of personnel merely because there is no vacancy.

However, any reservist (enlisted rank) could be refused extensions of service, so that proberly how they will reduce the numbers.

Comment

You'll cut the numbers by preforming a census of each unit and only count those who parade reguarly. You'll probably find that the real number is between 6'000 - 9'000.

Its best to organise what we do have rather then what we should have.
                            It is only by contemplation of the incompetent that we can appreciate the difficulties and accomplishments of the competent.

Comment

The problem isn't with the Gunners/Privates, whose attendance is dubious, but with the SNCOs and officers, whose attendance is excellent, and who will be without jobs. I can't see anybody wanting to take a demotion

Comment

Originally posted by DEV
                                As far as I can see, there are no terms in the CURRENT DFR R.5 that allows for the demotion of personnel merely because there is no vacancy
                                Mmmm, a look at R5 suggests otherwise...

Para 23 (1) (c)
                                An NCO may be reduced to any lower NCO rank (note the word ANY) by
                                the GOC commanding the Command
                                ... on the Reservist failing without leave lawfully granted or reasonable
                                excuse to attend during any training year for the minimum period of
                                training prescribed

To me, the word any lower NCO rank means that an individual can
                                be reverted by more than one rank, rather than the more usual one
                                (e.g; from Sgt to Cpl) in this case. Applying a vigorous policy of hitting
                                non attenders with this would certainly wipe out any excess in a rank, if
                                it was necessary. Extreme, no doubt, but it is in the regulations.

Para 23 (3)
                                Where an NCO is transferred from one service corps to another at his own
                                request, he may be reduced to the next lowest NCO rank by the GOC
                                commanding the command

Obviously, this would not be binding on those who have to change units/corps
                                as part of any re-org, but again, it is in the Regulations...

Originally posted by DEV
                                ...However, any reservist (enlisted rank) could be refused extensions of service, so that proberly how they will reduce the numbers...
                                Para 24 (1)
                                ... provides for extensions of engagements up to 12 years.

Para 25 (1)
                                .. provides for extensions of engagement up to 21 years, provided the
                                Reservist has at least 9 yrs served by the age of 39.

Para 25A (1-4)
                                ... provide for extension of service beyond 21 years, but in increments
                                of 4 years at a time, up to a max age of 60.

The upper age limit changes for a commissioned officer...

On the subject of the camp staffs, what exactly will personnel who will form part
                                of these groupings do on a weekly basis? And where would they be based?
                                The total strength, if I remember correctly, was 500 odd for camp staff. This
                                would be divided up between Kilbride, Coolmooney, and Kilworth, I am assuming
                                (not sure about a location in 4 W Bde - Carna?)
                                Last edited by Truck Driver; 30 November 2004, 04:37.
                                "Well, stone me! We've had cocaine, bribery and Arsenal scoring two goals at home. But just when you thought there were truly no surprises left in football, Vinnie Jones turns out to be an international player!" (Jimmy Greaves)!"

Comment

Working...
                                X