Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• POTS in 2 years

Alright lads,

Ive been a private for 3 years and was all set to go on the pots course this year, but ive just got a job offer in America for the Summer which is very hard to resist. Im a student at the mo and this is my last summer break coz im in year 2 of a 3 year course. Another thing is im hoping to get the cadets when im finished. Two questions can i do the course over two years? And would not doing the full course this year have a negative impact on my chances of getting the cadets? Any suggestions greatly appreciated

You can do the pots over two years in the east, so long as you complete & pass some modules this year. I dont think it would affect your cadet entry to much (if at all) Membership of the fca is worth X number of points I dont believe they add extra for rank (open to correction though on this)
    You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

Im in the Eastern Brigade and i should be able for the first few modules. Do you remain a private after completing half of the course, its just a fella from my bn did half the course and was made acting corporal. Id prefer personnally to be a private until youve done the whole course so i earn the rights to wear the stripes. Nice avatar by the way

Comment

Promotion to a/cpl is at the discretion of your unit CO. You dont get promtoed to cpl unit you complete and pass the course.
        You're even dumber than I tell people

You might have been infected but you never were a bore

Comment

In my unit you are promoted to A/Cpl after the pots course. Then 6 months later if they are happy with your proformance you are promoted to full Cpl.
          If your not in bed by 4 o' clock it's time to go home!

Comment

My firmly held belief is that there should be a three star career course held over two weeks and 11 or so weekend to be completed before anyone is allowed near a PNCOs course or weapons/tactics course.
            "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I hear the pots course isn't going to be run this yr. Two officers from my company have be attached to the Curragh for two years and are make out the new training sylabus...
              What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Come-quickly
                My firmly held belief is that there should be a three star career course held over two weeks and 11 or so weekend to be completed before anyone is allowed near a PNCOs course or weapons/tactics course.
                Hear hear, plus more of the same for recruits before being allowed near the 3* course. 2 years to make 3*, but with 72 days of quality centralised training (plus some additional time with unit) the stars would mean something beyond "I passed TOETs on a Bren/GPMG"
                Take these men and women for your example.
                Like them, remember that posterity can only
                be for the free; that freedom is the sure
                possession of those who have the
                courage to defend it.
                Liberty is being free from the things we don't like in order to be slaves of the things we do like.
                If you're not ready to die for it, put the word freedom out of your vocabulary.

Comment

It won't effect your application to the cadets.

The modules were brought in because the course is longer now and it is more difficult for POT's to find the guts of 4 weeks off be it because of work, collage or what ever and many people avail of it.

so i earn the rights to wear the stripes.
                  You'll earn the rights to wear the stripes by how you act when you get the stripes be it as an acting cpl or a passed out cpl.

Comment

Thats jumping the gun a bit lads. Many units are having a hard enough time getting Pte's to their current substandard state, to introduce more courses would only put them further off par.
                    I'd love to see this happen in the integrated reserve but on a wider scale it isn't realistic.
                    "I have never accepted what many people have kindly said, namely that I inspired the Nation. It was the nation and the race dwelling around the globe that had the lion heart. I had the luck to be called upon to give the roar"
                    - Sir Winston Churchill, Speech Nov. 1954.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty
                      can i do the course over two years?
                      Yes,
                      You have to do the preliminary weekend and one of the full time training periods (MOI or tactics) in the first year. I think it has to be the MOI block in the first year, but I'm not sure.

You are not promoted to substantive (full rank) rank, untill you have successfully passed all elements.

Comment

Why not?
                        Privates at least the ones who shouldnt be kicked out love going on courses, plus the majority of two and three stars are at a stage in their lives when free time is plentiful....if they dont want to do the training we dont want them in this organisation.
                        Its time for an end to the despicable youth club/roll filling culture thats spread throughout the reserves.
                        "It is a general popular error to imagine that loudest complainers for the public to be the most anxious for it's welfare" Edmund Burke

Comment

I think it has to be the MOI block in the first year, but I'm not sure.
                          It doesn't matter.

Many units are having a hard enough time getting Pte's to their current substandard state
                          I have to agree with you on this one. But, if we made these weekends paid there would be a lot more incentive keep up the training. This thing of getting up at the crack of dawn on Saturday morning and not getting home till 4 or 5 o'clock on Sunday and then up for work Monday. Enthusiasm will drain away vary quickly if you try and keep this up. The sooner they pay us the sooner we'll become professional.

Comment

What a load of crap if they're that soft we dont want them.

Comment

you can only have "Acting" rank on Camp. viz

http://www.rdfra.ie/DFR_R_5/classifi....htm#Promotion.

A/CPL CANNOT be put up during routine parades. Believe me ... this one's true.
                              "Are they trying to shoot down the other drone? "

"No, they're trying to fly the tank"

Comment

Working...
                              X